IGNORED

Urban/Commute/Paths/About Town

• 1 month later...

Finally made it to Barkley Meadows Park at the intersection of 71 and 130 along Onion Creek.  It's an obscure spot that turned out to be quite interesting.  There's a small network of concrete paths, some fully shaded and some not, that ultimately lead...nowhere.  One path crosses under 130 and parallels a pond and what I think is an immense borrow pit for construction of 130.  It just dead ends, although the park map shows a loop. 

The other path dead ends at Hwy 71, very close to where the highway crosses Onion Creek.  Had conditions been drier, we would have gone under the bridge and connected up to SE Metropolitan Park. There is a bulldozed road that goes from the side of 71 down to Onion Creek. 

But, there are some amazing pecan trees, shaded picnic tables with a shaded playscape, Berdoll pond to fish for catch and release, a bridge along the Old Bastrop highway on a "closed" trail, an interpretive sign for an archaeological site, and a bazillion signs in large lettering that note to watch for SNAKES ON TRAIL.  We did see a snowy egret, a caracara and a hawk. 

The interpretive sign for the Old Bastrop Highway bridge notes that Fort Comanche (1849) was located nearby, but I can find no references to an historic fort or camp by that name, even on this quite extensive list on the Texas Forts website. 

It would be a great spot to spend an hour or two with small children able to ride a bike on the paths, picnic and play. 

IMG_20230520_101046801_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20230520_100343761_HDR.jpg

Edited by June Bug
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

KXAN news this evening had a brief mention of a bike rider down at Brushy Creek on Friday, so I looked it up online.  Around 3 pm wilderness first responders went to 10800-10825 Dodge Cattle Drive "attempting to find the person who was injured".  That paved trailhead takes off north from the cul de sac on the image below.  It wasn't clear if the bike rider was on the paved path or single track.  The person was STAR Flighted to St. David's Round Rock with life-threatening injuries. 

My first thought was a rider without a helmet going over the handlebars onto his/her head but other scenarios can cause severe injuries. 

Screenshot 2023-06-03 6.29.31 PM.png

Work on the extension to Manor is underway from the north end of the Southern Walnut Creek Multi-use Path at Daffan Lane.  

When construction was underway on the now completed Southern Walnut Creek Path, we went with a group of friends on multiple trips to ride mtn bikes through the construction zone on Sundays to explore and chart progress.

I made a joking reference on Facebook about an overview of the route and construction corridor (there may be an existing rough two-track) and noted it would be fun to explore on a mtn bike. 

Pretty quickly, a City of Austin rep posted up, "Please don't do that..."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, June Bug said:

Work on the extension to Manor is underway from the north end of the Southern Walnut Creek Multi-use Path at Daffan Lane.  

When construction was underway on the now completed Southern Walnut Creek Path, we went with a group of friends on multiple trips to ride mtn bikes through the construction zone on Sundays to explore and chart progress.

I made a joking reference on Facebook about an overview of the route and construction corridor (there may be an existing rough two-track) and noted it would be fun to explore on a mtn bike. 

Pretty quickly, a City of Austin rep posted up, "Please don't do that..."

I agree with them, don't do that. Wanna explore future trails, go for it. But once the work has started it's a liability for the contractor and city for riders to enter construction areas. 

6 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

Where will it continue from? The end at the RC/ trap & skeet clubs?

I’m pretty sure the trailhead at Johnny Morris across from Brown Distributing is where SWC ends. It’s the Manor trail from that point to the RC airfield IIRC. Not quite sure where it will swing north, possibly further back in the field???

Edited by Chongo Loco
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thought that has been a done deal on this for several months. TXDoT is GIVING the park area adjacent to I-35 to the construction company for the duration of the I-35 redesign over townlake and thru downtown.  It's not some temporary closure while there's construction overhead, it's going to be their jobsite HQ for the duration of the project.