IGNORED

Emma Long (City Park) Trail Conditions

Albert

Rode out there earlier today.  Many damp/muddy spots in lower areas, but easy enough to get around without further widening the trail.  Only a few puddles, including one somewhat deep one that I did ride through the middle of.  Other than that, the trail's in pretty good shape. 

Lots of dirt bikes out there today! 

..Al

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Kobra Kai MTB Guy said:

Way too wet to ride. Had a couple guys that just got done say it was the worst they’ve seen it in 15 years. 

I just rode it and agree it was incredibly wet. Some areas were like riding through a running creek. However traction really wasn't an issue and I didn't feel like there was any extra element of danger. I had a  blast and was really tempted to ride a second lap. 

13 minutes ago, Kobra Kai MTB Guy said:

Was more worried about tearing up the trail. Is that not an issue at city park?

Not an issue because no matter how much bike riding is done in wet conditions, it will never match the damage being done by motorcycles. When I was there yesterday, I saw only a few MTBers but probably a dozen or so motocross bikers. 

• 2 months later...

Semi conditions related question: Why do they no longer switch the direction of the trail anymore? I feel like the wear and tear was a little better when they were doing this...or maybe I imagined it. Either way, I really enjoyed how it changed the trail up and totally transformed it. 

Edited by csmceuen

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/7/2019 at 3:28 PM, csmceuen said:

Semi conditions related question: Why do they no longer switch the direction of the trail anymore? I feel like the wear and tear was a little better when they were doing this...or maybe I imagined it. Either way, I really enjoyed how it changed the trail up and totally transformed it. 

I have been working with City Parks personnel for quite some time on that very issue and just last week received the OK to move forward with a trail direction change.  You are correct in your observation regarding wear and tear.  Since the City essentially made the direction "permanent" when they installed all the sign posts I have seen our (I ride moto at CP as well, so I'm speaking from two perspectives here) maintenance efforts over the years increase.  I don't recall that being the case many years ago when we were changing the direction regularly, sometimes every other year.  Hard to believe, but I think it has been almost 9 years since we last changed the direction (2010?).

Since receiving the OK from the Parks manager I've been evaluating what will become climbs when going CW (now downhills of course going CCW).  I've made some improvements where needed and only have the Devil's Staircase to sort out at this point, which is going to take some work (and manpower!).  We just had some very nice slab rock delivered to establish a climbing line up the middle of the Devil's Staircase.  The bottom ledge is currently far too tall, which will drive people to try and take a far outside line.  That only widens the area, which we absolutely do not want to allow.   There is an "easy" route around the Devil's Staircase that will remain in use to further help alleviate that situation.

It's going to be quite a haul to get the large rocks from the parking area back to the Devil's Staircase.  Just this week I've been strategizing that effort and it appears the only viable option is to use "boulder cradles" to accomplish the task.  One or two will need to be fabricated unless someone happens to know of anyone that may have one that can be borrowed.  Like maybe used for a home landscape project and stored in an attic?

I am now in the process of lining out all the new directional markers that will be needed.  I remember in years past this was a very simple task, which involved only the switching of the tree hangers.  Since the City installed all the sign posts with decals I am now faced with having to address each and every one of those.  I have a map I've created that identifies the current location of all the marker posts and tree hangers, which will help me ensure that everything gets changed properly.  Just a moment ago I received the quotes I've been waiting on for a couple of other new signs that are needed, and am now about to place the order for new decals and signage.  If anyone wishes to donate to that cause, I am not too proud to not accept their donation.  🙂  At the moment it is looking like the directional signage needed is going to be around $300.  Oh, and I'll also be fabricating myself aluminum backing plates for each decal to allow them to be more easily changed in the future (if desired) without incurring cost of purchasing new decals (i.e. these will be reusable!).

I am open to any input or suggestions!  👍

Boulder Cradle.jpg

Edited by zrx24
  • Thanks 1

Oh, and Cheesecake Challenge is going to be just as challenging as it always has been in years past when attempting it as a climb.  Nothing has changed there.  It's is tremendously intimidating when standing at the bottom looking up.  There is a doable "pick and choose" line, if you take the time to figure it out.  👍 

Edited by zrx24

It's going to be quite a haul to get the large rocks from the parking area back to the Devil's Staircase.  Just this week I've been strategizing that effort and it appears the only viable option is to use "boulder cradles" to accomplish the task.  One or two will need to be fabricated unless someone happens to know of anyone that may have one that can be borrowed.  Like maybe used for a home landscape project and stored in an attic?

1946918675_BoulderCradle.thumb.jpg.0e8e275dfece7bfde4ce3f3d940d3eee.jpg

I have one you can borrow. It's made of firehose. For manual carry just use 2 rock bars slid through the loops. We use it regularly so I cant loan it out for a long time. But willing to let it be used. 65eb88d5d825e45dea9ee8c8f2a82f02.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Awesome!  Thanks!  I’ll be in touch once I get a game plan.  👍

Actually may not need to drag back all that many rocks now that I’m looking at it more closely.  As-is, there is a totally doable on the right side.  👍

CC0ECD6D-918A-4C48-A3DB-C97CA78083CF.jpeg

Edited by zrx24
  • Like 1

Ok, with a few strategically placed rocks I think I have established a line right and a more challenging line up the middle just left of center. With a little touch up work on the “bail out” trail, I think I’m comfortable ordering signs/decals to move this direction change effort to the final stage.

63d66b0b23397eb28370046a7fe913e2.jpg

0f2d247b2a77225caf69c79508a9e6ac.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by zrx24

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, natas1321 said:

looking to get out here for a ride this week, is there a better time to ride here morning vs afternoon, guessing weekdays over weekends.

Weekday mornings are typically best if you’re looking to avoid a crowd; earlier in the week the better.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • Albert changed the title to Emma Long (City Park) Trail Conditions