IGNORED

Wearing headphones is the same mindset as not wearing a mask

The Tip

There was a discussion on Nextdoor about someone at the Veloway getting hurt. The original poster said always wear a helmet and don't use headphones. I chimed in because wearing a helmet is "the only thing I preach about." I rarely post to Nextdoor because it is thick with the crazies. But I was compelled to.

After saying it's not if a helmet will save you it's "when." I commented on wearing headphones. It just came to me so I said, "Using headphones that blocks outside noise is just as dangerous as not wearing a helmet. And this danger is not only to you, but to those that crash into you, because you didn't hear their warnings. It's almost the same concept as wearing a mask at the store. Your mask wearing saves other people. So you being able to hear warnings saves not only you, but other people too."

• Like 4

for some people, the idea that doing something for the consideration of others is totally unthinkable. the only way to get them to comply is to tell them that it is in their personal interest to do so. we as a culture need to reverse that, but in the meanwhile, I'll tell people whatever it takes to keep them from doing stupid things.

Oh I heard the sirens from my house getting ready for my ride. When I rode past the veloway entrance there were 2 fire trucks and another truck & trailer for the rescue ATV. No idea what happened but it must have been serious. On the veloway everyone should be going the same direction ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You know just after that I got stuck behind someone going down terminus with headphones and one of those roadie helmet mounted rear view mirrors. He never saw me and didn't hear me and was going annoyingly slow so I bailed out on the sneaky shortcut halfway down. Headphone users are the worst.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, taco_junkie said:

Oh I heard the sirens from my house getting ready for my ride. When I rode past the veloway entrance there were 2 fire trucks and another truck & trailer for the rescue ATV. No idea what happened but it must have been serious. are the worst.

This is the original post explaining what happened:

Tough day at the Veloway today! While I was riding the Veloway today, near the main entrance gate, a cyclist had wiped out in a curve and people were flagging folks down to slow and stop. He was down on his back and out. Folks had called EMS and we did what we could to warn folks approaching of the danger. As the ambulance drove on to the Veloway and 3 EMS were tending to him, a true speed skater (real serious skills) came in to the curve and could not stop and he actually jumped over (mostly) the patient and somehow missed the paramedics but wiped out himself and got some decent road rash. Helmets are critical, especially when you need them. Maybe once or twice in your life they really make a difference, if worn and adjusted properly. I know I sometimes listen to music on my phone speaker on the Veloway (nowhere else) but one earbud should be enough. Several people could not hear the warnings or couldn't process it at the speed they were travelling. Add to that, another cyclist fell and hurt herself around the same time (not as bad) and EMS picked up both patients. That meant two large firetrucks and a SUV with a trailer for the cart they sometimes use, blocking all the other traffic coming to the Veloway and the Wildflower Center. Please travel more slowly if you have crossed Lacrosse and Mopac because there is a lot of bikes and pedestrians to protect. Craziest thing I heard from a bystander watching the skater clean the blood off in the water fountain was "Did you get a picture of it? You could be famous!"

53 minutes ago, taco_junkie said:

On the veloway everyone should be going the same direction ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Back in the day, roller blading groups would stop in the middle of the Veloway by the benches, just after that blind turn, to high five each other for completing a lap...

ETA:  haven't been there for many years, but sounds as though roller blading is still a thing. 

Edited by June Bug

Ok that makes sense. I heard the ATV driving around but never saw it. The wife and kids heard it from our backyard and asked me what was going on when I got back from my ride.

That last corner corner is treacherous. It's one of the few places you need to slow down. Gravel from the parking lot runs off and builds up in that turn and you never know who will be on the path past the curve. People exiting from the far right without notice other people entering from the parking lot. Sketch corner for sure.

3 minutes ago, Charlie193 said:

Have you had lots of reasonable, well thought out responses to the headphone-mask comparison from Nextdoor?

tenor.gif

But actually there have been good reactions. Strange, right? Well, at least so far. The day is young!

• Like 1

Earbuds aren't the problem. it's volume. I've used earbuds for several 10hr NUE races and Enchilida Buffets maybe even a TMBRA or two. At low volume you can still hear everything, even riders calling to pass or getting on your wheels. Road training rides too. Never had a problem. Not saying all others have a brain or care tho.

• Like 5

I was riding along Shoal Creek between 7th and 6th St last week. The sidewalk is narrow there with a  rock face on the west side and a several drop directly into the creek on the east.  Barely enough room for two people to pass and I would be passing on the "drop directly into the creek side," so a little concerned about passing a woman who was jogging with ear buds in.  Yelled, rang the damn bell,  got right beside her and yelled top volume directly into her ear (bud) that I was trying to pass and she never heard me. She was chuffing along like a damn freight train and I'm not sure she really processed me when I finally passed her.  Oblivion doesn't quite capture her state. 

On 8/6/2020 at 2:38 PM, June Bug said:

I was riding along Shoal Creek between 7th and 6th St last week. The sidewalk is narrow there with a  rock face on the west side and a several drop directly into the creek on the east.  Barely enough room for two people to pass and I would be passing on the "drop directly into the creek side," so a little concerned about passing a woman who was jogging with ear buds in.  Yelled, rang the damn bell,  got right beside her and yelled top volume directly into her ear (bud) that I was trying to pass and she never heard me. She was chuffing along like a damn freight train and I'm not sure she really processed me when I finally passed her.  Oblivion doesn't quite capture her state. 

Get some chariot hubs and a whip!