IGNORED

Mellow Johnny's cancels APD purchasing contract due to left hourly employees complaints

And the downward... Sideways... Other sideways... Upward... Downward... Sideways... Downward... Upward... Downward confusion continues.

The seemingly normal confusion of these days aside...

I now have something like 20+ bikes in my garage to work on for people. It's like they see me outside my garage working on a bicycle and BAM... "Could you help me with my bicycle?"

35 minutes ago, Haught Diggity said:

Has there been any new updates to this story?  How much of it is real?

I just looked at their Facebook page. 38 out of 39 comments calling them idiots for doing this. No refuting response from Mellow Johnny's yet. One post saying it's the owners' decision and they are just blaming three "phantom" employees.

17 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Both the Bible and the Constitution say they have the right to tell the cops to fuck off if they want.  

Anybody has the right to tell me to fuck off too. But if they do, I don't think I would hang out with them any more. That's MY right.

I thought of an analogy about the (crazy) de-fund the police movement:

Two guys in a movie theater are talking out loud and being assholes.

There are two solutions, 1) Throw the bums out. Or 2) Close the movie theater forever.

Edited by The Tip
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, The Tip said:

I just looked at their Facebook page. 38 out of 39 comments calling them idiots for doing this. No refuting response from Mellow Johnny's yet. One post saying it's the owners' decision and they are just blaming three "phantom" employees.

Ooops!

That post with all the comments has been deleted.  lol

there is a difference between de-funding and un-funding. here is a detailed plan to reduce the APD funding by $100M so that the money can be allocated to services that better handle some of the ridiculous list of things police are expected to do: https://mailchi.mp/austinjustice/how-we-cut-100-million-now

there's a lunatic fringe that just wants to dissolve the police altogether immediately, but the rational approach is to reduce the harm caused by over-policing. I expect we may hear more from police who, like teachers, are expected to deal with all kinds of things but are given not enough resources, or the wrong resources. you can't humanely, effectively deal with mental health, domestic abuse, drug addiction, and the like with just a badge and a gun. you can temporarily, but that leads to more problems down the road.

don't you want your tax dollars going to effective solutions to safety problems and not fat cops miking loose overtime pay rules, then breaking their bicycles and taking them to Mellow Johnny's all the time?

as a recent example, Mike Ramos tangled with police because some Karen called and said he was using drugs in his car and he had a gun. there were no drugs and no gun, but he was surrounded by aggressive cops while just minding his own business and it ended in tragedy.

Edited by mack_turtle
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

there is a difference between de-funding and un-funding.

There is a LOT of confusion about this for a LOT of people. Shuffling money, and responsibilities around is not a bad thing. Keep what works, and fix (or shitcan) what doesn't.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, TheX said:

There is a LOT of confusion about this for a LOT of people. Shuffling money, and responsibilities around is not a bad thing. Keep what works, and fix (or shitcan) what doesn't.

to clarify, "shuffling money, and responsibilities around, keep what works, and fix (or shitcan) what doesn't" is exactly what is meant when we say "defund the police." the problem is that everything needs a slogan, and anything more than those three words don't pack much punch. but the link I posted above goes into great detail. 

Edited by mack_turtle
  • Like 1

I love it when the mountain bike forum talks politics (beyond anything related to bikes, bike trails..etc).  It's their choice, if it impacts their business then it's on them.  If making a statement is that important, good for them. I do know that making that statement most likely won't drive incremental revenue for them, but rather will have a negative impact.  But knowing the owner...most everything he touches has a negative impact.  I don't really care what they think or what y'all think about this issue.  

11 minutes ago, RidingAgain said:

Actually... The bible says keep a low profile and don't stir up the pot with your neighbors. Also says submit to those God puts over you to govern.

Jesus certainly stirred the pot and was executed by the state for it. If you're interested, I have a thorough rebuttal of that (authoritarian) interpretation of Romans 13. probably not fit for forum consumption though.

• Like 2

Someone please answer this: Trek has suspended the sale of their Police bikes. What is MJ's supposed to sell APD per their contract? Is APD just going to buy a bunch of Marlins and slap "police" stickers on them?

The other side of this is that Trek seems to have screwed some bike shops who had contracts with PDs. What's the resolution to that?

Edited by mack_turtle
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mack_turtle said:

Jesus certainly stirred the pot and was executed by the state for it. If you're interested, I have a thorough rebuttal of that (authoritarian) interpretation of Romans 13. probably not fit for forum consumption though.

Man, that could make for an interesting thread over in the General Lunacy forum! Fire away, I say!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Teamsloan said:

Of all the bloated budget that APD has, I don’t see this as the most impactful place to want to cut or “defund” them. I thought we liked bikes here.

Let’s look elsewhere in the budget…like maybe…armored military vehicles and UAVs?

The term is “defund” not “un-fund” the police. Just because something is affiliated with APD, that doesn’t mean we need to throw it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think some of the military style police stuff is way overkill, but we seem to be forgetting the reason many big city Swat teams have these and were funded for these. Remember the tons of mass shooting this Country has been having. Las Vegas ring a bell. Let's not worry about defunding these department s and maybe spend some money on switching the culture of the Policing in America. Get people in place that don't look the other way when a cop is acting in detrimental manner to citizens they serve. Not have a union that is willing to fight for dirty cops, ect.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, mack_turtle said:

Good for MJs. They are an independent business who can make principaled decisions not to sell equipment that will be abused to a corrupt agency with a bloated budget.

I thought Trek stopped selling those cops bikes anyway.

Couldn't agree more. Enjoy your famine.

https://video.foxnews.com/v/6178327154001#sp=show-clips