IGNORED

Mellow Johnny's cancels APD purchasing contract due to left hourly employees complaints

1 hour ago, TheX said:

Very happy, right down the middle Libertarian here. Both sides suck balls.

Two wings of the same rotten bird

I do struggle with free market libertarian economic philosophy, but it's not for me to embrace i suppose. As i've gotten older, I've returned to some of my nihilistic philosophies and realized time is short, and its up to me to make hay while the sun shines.

41 minutes ago, ATXZJ said:

Two wings of the same rotten bird

I do struggle with free market libertarian economic philosophy, but it's not for me to embrace i suppose. As i've gotten older, I've returned to some of my nihilistic philosophies and realized time is short, and its up to me to make hay while the sun shines.

The nice thing about being in the middle, is the ability to like parts of both sides., and reject parts of both sides. I'm very fiscally conservative, even though I know a lot of people will hate that. Tough shit.

On 8/5/2020 at 3:57 PM, mack_turtle said:

Jesus certainly stirred the pot and was executed by the state for it. If you're interested, I have a thorough rebuttal of that (authoritarian) interpretation of Romans 13. probably not fit for forum consumption though.

That was Jesus... And He accomplished what He came to accomplished. Now we move onto another aspect of God's economy.

Regarding you having a thorough rebuttal to Romans 13... Vanity is common with fallen man.

8 hours ago, The Tip said:

It all sounds like a good idea, but does it work in real life?

It would be great to have a doctorate of psychology on staff to diffuse domestic violence situations. But when my angry wife has a knife to my throat and I have Alexa dial the police, I don't want them saying, "Our staff psychologist will be out Tuesday to help you."

So maybe more funding is needed to cross train the police on the streets. Those police that are already in patrol cars that can respond to calls about anything in short order. Not by Tuesday.

In that situation you would still just call the police and they would respond pretty much like they would now. But if the systems where in place your partner may have gotten the help to deal with things before they got out of hand, or would be able to receive that help now rather then simply being locked up (or killed for being upset).

4 hours ago, Jackie said:

I’ve got a problem with you throwing all cops into the corrupt agency pool. How many LE people do you know? How many stories have you heard first hand about the way the public abuses them? What have your experiences been with LE? How do you feel when people put all mountain bikers in the dope smoking, reckless riding, rude category? I’m married to someone in LE. Another recently lived with us. Needless to say, we have many friends in LE and I’m gonna tell you that these are good people that went into law enforcement for ALL THE RIGHT REASONS. We’re fucked without law enforcement. Prove me wrong. 

I also have family in LE and as a BMX rider have A LOT of experience with others while on the job and I can say definitely, echoing other comments from this thread, that they are just people. Some good some bad.

I will also repeat, no reasonable person wants to completely get rid of the cops. But I think everyone can agree that there is probably a better system then we have now.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/08/13/austin-city-council-cut-police-budget-defund/

Another $80 million in cuts would come from a yearlong process that will redistribute money used for civilian functions like forensic sciences, support services and victims’ services to other departments. About $50 million would come from reallocating dollars to a “Reimagine Safety Fund” that would divert money toward “alternative forms of public safety and community support through the yearlong reimagining process.”

The council's proposal also includes eliminating 150 vacant officer positions, so that the police department will begin fiscal year 2021 without any unfilled sworn positions.“

https://www.austinmonitor.com/stories/2020/06/what-100m-from-the-apd-budget-looks-like/

Bill Spelman, a criminal justice policy researcher and former Austin City Council member, said one issue with defunding police departments as a way to deter police violence is that policymakers have to make sure the department’s duties are adjusted to reflect the budget cut. He said a reduced amount of officers with the same amount of duties could inadvertently lead to increased police brutality.

“If you’re taking money out of the police department and giving it somebody else, and they’re also taking the work that they used to have to do, it’s not a big deal from the police department’s point of view,” Spelman said. “If, on the other hand, we are removing that money to try to punish them, and we’re going to give them the same amount of work, they have the same number of calls to answer, the same number of crimes to deal with, then … there might be all sorts of consequences which none of us really want to have happen going on downstream.”

From 2017:

https://www.kut.org/post/austin-city-council-unanimously-rejects-police-contract
We’ve talked a lot about the numbers tonight,” said Council Member Alison Alter. “At the end of the night, we have to understand that if our police department is going to be the highest paid then we must also expect the highest level of transparency and accountability.”

Edited by cmc4130
  • Like 2