IGNORED

BCGB requires reservations now?!?!?!

I am always reminded of the violet crown trail. 

While nobody really liked the idea on our end, basically the trail is still 90% there, BUT the big advantage is that now that it has been "blessed" as the VCT, it is virtually impossible for that land to ever be anything else. No way the BCP is going to shut that down.

I would rather not give an inch on anything, but sometimes giving up a little to get a bigger long-term gain can be a net positive. My single biggest goal for the GB is continuous accessibility for riding. I think we all remember the fence on the Northside where a homeowner inadvertently blocked off the trail. Remember what that did to riding, one small change that knocked out a huge chunk in one shot.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, GFisher said:

image.png.ccf75f656f83ef08ca745b2825853b4b.png

It has been rumored, for sure. But I'll have just a modicum though and edit the specifics. 

The thing which confuses me though, is that I'm only aware of the one fence. And it's not close to the named address. Although the segment with the name is close to that address. 

That's fair. You can be like the girl who's flipping him off waiting outside BCGB while the rest of us go in after the police admit this is BS. Free country.

Nah, I’m probably just one of the people that enters the park without fanfare and high fives, knowing I’m not breaking any laws.

Seems kind of silly to march around red faced behind a megaphone screaming about your right to enter the park…and then never actually entering the park.

Alex, you seem upset and overheated. If you hike down that trail there’s a refreshing, spring fed creek you can enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think that requiring reservations is their (city hall) first attempt at sustainable controlled access.  It's free now but it would be super easy to add a fee once they get it sorted out.  New revenue stream!  I would much rather them designate the area a public space and allow the public to use it just like any other park.  It seems like they are trying to solve a lot of different problems at the same time.  The parking issue is real and should be solved.  The unsafe gatherings during a pandemic issue is real and I'm not sure can be solved.  The erosion issue is complete BS and yet they toss that in there as a reason.  

They could put up a fence to control access but that's expensive and they'd have to fight the homeowners AND the public.  They could release a pack of wild hyenas in there and keep people out but lawyers might balk at that.  This is the lowest cost and effort approach to possibly solve multiple problems.  I understand but I also don't trust them that they will ever dismantle a reservation system once they get it established.

On 8/11/2020 at 10:51 AM, Teamsloan said:

Seems kind of silly to march around red faced behind a megaphone screaming about your right to enter the park…and then never actually entering the park.

'Roided up performative screaming as agitprop is Jones' brand.  That particular location was just a backdrop. 

Edited by June Bug
  • Like 1

Ok, I got a reservation for this morning, then rode down and talked to the crew at the 360 entrance. I'm gonna write up a blog this evening depending on how much wine happens in my cooking happy hour this afternoon. The bottom line is that it was pretty chill and I got some decent answers. I think there are still some gaps in the overall plan, primarily around enforcement, but I got the distinct feeling that all of this has nothing to do with bikers. I did not get the feeling that bikers were the issue, its overall GB crowds and that primarily points not to bikers and hikers (who are relatively constant) and more to the large groups of partiers.

• Like 1

if this reduces—even to a small degree—the number of people gathering in crowds and infecting each other at the swimming holes, it's worth trying.

has anyone been near Bull Creek lately? I love that place but it's probably even more disgusting with humans right now than usual. that is my problem with all this, they say something is closed and then to zero to enforce it. what's the point?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

if this reduces—even to a small degree—the number of people gathering in crowds and infecting each other at the swimming holes, it's worth trying.

has anyone been near Bull Creek lately? I love that place but it's probably even more disgusting with humans right now than usual. that is my problem with all this, they say something is closed and then to zero to enforce it. what's the point?

Bull Creek is fine if you don't mind dirty diapers left behind and makeshift restrooms (#2) 15' off the creek in the bushes. It is quite sad and infuriating at the same time.

57 minutes ago, GFisher said:

Bull Creek is fine if you don't mind dirty diapers left behind and makeshift restrooms (#2) 15' off the creek in the bushes. It is quite sad and infuriating at the same time.

That's just fucked up on MANY levels. Yep, humans are flawed.

1 hour ago, June Bug said:

Upthread I noted that folks were posting that reservations were required only after 10:30 AM. However, when I looked on line, I couldn't find any reference to reservation hours on any of the numerous articles I read.  Any word on that?

Yes, I just posted a link to my blog. According to the people at the trailhead, if you ride before 10:30, no reservation needed. However it is a grey zone on the trail as it is not clear if they will be checking on the trail. Trailhead people said they are only at the trailhead but we've all seen cops over the years. The longer after 10:30 that you are on the trail the touchier it may become.

Note: Austin will continue to sprawl with no proportional increase in public space/open space/parks, so user demand for these resources will only increase. My sense is that the City of Austin has not developed a master management plan to address these issues and is using more of an ad hoc approach, but I hope I'm wrong. 

I have no quarrel with a reservation system. There's a damn pandemic going on and city resources are stretched thin.  Every call to the city to deal with drunkenness, injury due to poor choices, fights, ODs, whatever bad thing is happening on BCGB just puts more stress on that system, so limiting access seems to be a sane response.  

Also, if the reservation systems means a better user experience FOR YOU when you ARE on the trails, win win, right?

14 minutes ago, TAF said:

Along with RA, I have JMR set to ignore.

Timely reminder!

Edited by June Bug
  • Like 3

One more thing:

It was 105 in the shade yesterday afternoon and the folks manning the reservation stations at the various trail heads were there through the heat of the day.

As Austin Bike noted in his other BCGB thread, Be. Nice. to those folks. It's a thankless job in many ways. 

• Like 5

I spoke with a park ranger at the spyglass entrance yesterday. He said the reservations are only for the main entrances to keep crowds low at those access points. They do not check reservation stubs once you enter the Greenbelt. If you enter before 1030 or at any other entrance not listed you do not need a reservation. He said ride all day and enjoy the trails, just respect people’s space. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4