IGNORED

***Stolen YETI SB5+ ********

I had my YETI SB5+ stolen off my rack in South Austin. The thieves cut the cable locking in clean, leaving behind a oily residue.

Please be on the lookout for it. Sea Foam silicon grips, a King cage under the down tube, large, light colored scuff on right side of top tube.

There are a good amount of Yeti’s on the trails, but I haven’t seen many SB5+ (27.5”, 2.8” nobby nic).

If you run across a bike fitting this distribution, please contact the Austin Police Dept: Tracking # T20004203 or PM me directly.

It seems to me they are the specific tools need to cut the lock quickly, which make me think these are experiences thieves, please help me catch them if you see anything. It could happen to anyone.

• Sad 1

@Bamwa

It was stolen on Industrial Blvd, on the block between South Congress & TerryO.  Near St. Elmo brewing.  It was stolen between 5:00pm & 5:10pm.  

these are professional thieves, had a good to cut the cable and even used lubricant.

Stolen at work, bike stays in the house at home.  

1 minute ago, Shanerpvt said:

Stolen at work, bike stays in the house at home.  

That's rough. I worry about the same thing. When I do bring my bike to work, I had been satisfied with parking in front of a window. But now I think I'll just start bringing it in. 

Hopefully homeowner's or renter's insurance can get you covered in a hurry, assuming it isn't recovered very soon.  

that royally sucks.

be sure to check with pawn shops. that is probably your best chance of finding it locally. I know of one person who had given up on getting her stolen bike back when someone spotted it in the back of a pawn shop.

otherwise, high-dollar stolen bikes are shipped far enough out of the region that they are unlikely to be noticed.

if the thieves are idiots, they will post it locally on Craigslist. you can search for whatever bike you're looking for, save the search, and set and alert to email you any time that item shows up on CL.

most likely, the person who stole it did it for cash and not to ride.

6 hours ago, Shanerpvt said:

@Bamwa

It was stolen on Industrial Blvd, on the block between South Congress & TerryO.  Near St. Elmo brewing. 

It’s probably being disassembled somewhere nearby in the Ben White median. There must be thousands of bikes in there by now.

One of the best things you can do if your bike is stolen is to make a flyer and hit as many pawn shops as you can with it. Not saying that this will solve the problem, but it is one of the few things that you can actually do to "take action."

Pawn shops, especially those that might have higher end bikes, are supposed to check the databases for a stolen bike before they take it in. All *should* but there are plenty of gaps in the system. If you've personally handed them a flyer about your bike it makes it really unlikely that they will take the bike in. 

But, honestly, these days the theft rings are probably chopping them because it is easier to sell off components without drawing attention.

1 hour ago, TheX said:

I have a State Farm Personal Articles policy that covers my bikes. My uninsured motorist policy covers me being hit on the bike as well.

this^

We have usaa, and the bikes are covered as well for theft and accident. 

• Like 2

In this day and age - sadly - you really need to keep your bikes in your house. Ours are all kept in a converted guest room which is also my home office. Although this was originally because we have a carport instead of a garage, I really wouldn't have it any other way right now. Peace of mind, and I'm forced to keep them reasonably clean since I have to wheel em inside.

• Like 1