IGNORED

Cycling computers

TheX

I've decided to move on from the Hammerhead Karoo. Not happy with the latest updates, just a preference thing. Looking at the Wahoo Roam, and the Garmin 830. I have read about the positives of each, wondering if you peeps have any real world cons for either that you'd be willing to share?

I have an 820, and I'm very happy with it. Garmin have definitely improved their GUI and syncing abilities -- it works seamlessly with my Android phone, and I do like that SMS and Teams messages pop up on the Garmin while riding - there's even the option to send pre-defined replies from the 820. Thumbs up from me.

On 8/8/2020 at 2:01 PM, TheX said:

I've decided to move on from the Hammerhead Karoo. Not happy with the latest updates, just a preference thing. Looking at the Wahoo Roam, and the Garmin 830. I have read about the positives of each, wondering if you peeps have any real world cons for either that you'd be willing to share?

Sorry to see you go. Your post a while back got me on the Karoo. I still love mine, and the lockup issue that I posted about was eventually resolved with a software update. I do agree that the latest update has me relearning how to do things on the device. Couldn't imagine going back to Garmin after getting used to the Karoos map display, and Hammerheads ease of putting routes on it with their dashboard.

• 3 weeks later...

OK, so I couldn't decide on a replacement. None of them has everything I *think* I need. I just pre-ordered the K2 from Hammerhead. They are offering $120 trade-in of the old unit. I agree about the ease of putting routes on the Karoo. 

It's kind of mid-cycle for the mid-range Garmin and Wahoo bike computers, so I'm personally holding out for new releases, though they may be over a year off. I'm still using a Garmin Edge 520 from, like, 2016? Hoping it doesn't break before the 540 comes out. Or maybe Wahoo will come out with something better. I'm unimpressed with Garmin's handling of the ransomware incident, so trying something new sounds nice.

• 3 weeks later...

bikepacking.com has just posted a long-term review of the WAHOO Elemnt Roam.

WAHOO ELEMNT ROAM REVIEW (VIDEO), AFTER 5,000+ MILES        After well over 5,000 miles of use, Neil reviews the Wahoo ELEMNT ROAM in his latest video. In addition, find a second video tutorial on how to quickly load our routes from your phone directly to the ROAM…

The comments section are always worth a read, with a wee bit of churlish blow back from an Edge fan boi.

Edited by June Bug

7 hours ago, Shinerider said:

I'm narrowing in on a bike computer and the Elemnt Bolt sounds like a solid piece of equipment for the price. 

Love my element bolt. I caught it last year on a Black Friday deal (maybe it was cyber Monday, I forget). It’s been sounds for many mile and a few crashes. Good battery, love the customization and it’s pretty accurate. I think I got it for $175 after some rebate and a discount, and I would do that again tomorrow if I had to. 

• Like 1