IGNORED

Electricians and Electrically Minded Folks...

AustinBike

I am going be have some more home-bound time and thinking about some electrical projects. Along the way I stumbled onto these:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ideal-In-Sure-Push-In-Wire-Connector-3-Port-Orange-10-per-Bag-Standard-Package-is-6-Bags-30-1333S/203734796

A friend also recommended Wago Clips:

https://www.amazon.com/Wago-221-413-LEVER-NUTS-Conductor-Connectors/dp/B017NQWDY4

Any thoughts on these? I hate wire nuts and many of the outlets in the house have lots of extra wire, would love to strip down some of it and use these to help make the smart switches fit better in the junction box.

As a professional, what is your view? Waste of time, great idea, not worth the hassle?

14 hours ago, AustinBike said:

I am going be have some more home-bound time and thinking about some electrical projects. Along the way I stumbled onto these:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ideal-In-Sure-Push-In-Wire-Connector-3-Port-Orange-10-per-Bag-Standard-Package-is-6-Bags-30-1333S/203734796

A friend also recommended Wago Clips:

https://www.amazon.com/Wago-221-413-LEVER-NUTS-Conductor-Connectors/dp/B017NQWDY4

Any thoughts on these? I hate wire nuts and many of the outlets in the house have lots of extra wire, would love to strip down some of it and use these to help make the smart switches fit better in the junction box.

As a professional, what is your view? Waste of time, great idea, not worth the hassle?

I've used these for some simple wiring work.  I'm not an electrician by any means but I think they work great.  I know they use something very similar with some grease in them for sprinkler systems so I'm think robustness must be pretty good.

1 hour ago, Ericbike6 said:

Having done my fair share of wiring over the years, they don't look any smaller in size then a normal wire nut.  Plus I would like the actual physical contact of the wires being together, with wire nuts. 

Let us know if they work good.

Here they are in comparison to a wire nut:

61870596448__E2D1006F-757F-4CD8-A165-CEAAF84A0714.thumb.jpg.ff66e3979279de6d2512377ca7bb16b7.jpg

I had the same question when my friend started raving about them. 

Disclaimer:  I'm not an electrician, just an EE that has done a lot of wiring in my house and I've pored over the code.

I replaced all the outlets and switches in my house.  They were all push connected.  I don't like that so everything was changed to connected with the screw terminal.   In my view it's a more solid contact and leaves less of a chance to have a degrading connection.  I used to have voltage drops that have since gone away.

If you're running out of space in your junction box, you may have to get a larger junction box.  There is a spec in the code for box size vs number/gauge of wires going in/out.

Make sure y'all use the proper size wire nut too, and the right kind if you happen to have aluminum wiring.

18 minutes ago, taco_junkie said:

Nuke the whole site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

My main wiring is all copper.  But the wiring from the main panel to the distribution panel is aluminum (like maybe a 500mcm cable).  I was concerned so I did a lot of research.  The main problems with aluminum are when connecting to copper (galvanic corrosion) and not using the correct wire nuts or terminals.

https://www.anixter.com/en_us/resources/literature/wire-wisdom/copper-vs-aluminum-conductors.html

Edited by AntonioGG
added Anixter link

9 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

My main wiring is all copper.  But the wiring from the main panel to the distribution panel is aluminum

Yup my understanding is that this is normal but I'm not an electrician. I would mostly be cautious about older houses with full aluminum wiring and any breaker panels made by Federal Pacific.

• Like 1

Well my house is 50 years old, but we've done so much remodeling over the years that just about everything is copper. Pretty sure there is probably some aluminum hiding somewhere.

Anyway I  will let you know how the Wago Clips work, had to buy something from amazon so I threw a pack of them onto my order.

• 1 year later...