IGNORED

Helmet Throwing Shade

I bought a Da Brim several years ago and no longer use it. It's heavy and cumbersome and tends to get caught a bit in the wind.  However,  it does work very well for it's intended purpose -- to shade the face and neck. 

I've thought about fashioning something similar but much lighter from corplast for commutes around town.

Edited to add: I bought it at the recumbent store. For some/many/all of you, that will drive a stake through the heart of the whole thing. 

Edited by June Bug
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I wear a cycling cap under my helmet with the peak pointed backwards. the front of my helmet has a visor on it, so the cap pointed back helps a little with keeping the sun off my neck, but not much. if you try this, be sure to get a cap that has a "smooth" elastic headband all the way around and not a bunched-up elastic at the back, or the bunchy part will leave some heinous grooves on your forehead.

3 hours ago, mack_turtle said:

I wear a cycling cap under my helmet with the peak pointed backwards. the front of my helmet has a visor on it, so the cap pointed back helps a little with keeping the sun off my neck, but not much. if you try this, be sure to get a cap that has a "smooth" elastic headband all the way around and not a bunched-up elastic at the back, or the bunchy part will leave some heinous grooves on your forehead.

I would buy a cycling cap/desert hat hybrid in a heartbeat.

817CtUHHgML._AC_UL1500_.jpg

36 minutes ago, olddbrider said:

This reminds me of a concept I talk about almost every time I go to Spider. The Enduro-brero. It's like a sombrero, only for Enduro!  Something to give you shade while you are in line or on the lift, but then still allows you to shred the gnar...

You could pretty easily stash a small umbrella in your pack for the lift. You could call it the "Enduro my Umbrella-ella-ella" 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, olddbrider said:

This reminds me of a concept I talk about almost every time I go to Spider. The Enduro-brero.

Many construction guys use this now. It's a light weight nylon brim, neck shade that fits over a hard hat. 

Amazon has you covered: Full Brim + Neck Sunshade

Actually, I'm liking this better, made out of Lexan: MSA 697410 Sun Shield for V-Gard and Topgard Full-Brim Hard Hats

Edited by June Bug

• 2 years later...

I had to return to this discussion to alert you to this new technology:

549690078_boxbrim800.thumb.jpeg.dc0b96a8d07836436a31764215a6094c.jpeg

671103019_boxbrimcloseup.thumb.jpeg.6d5935766a59d5d428e6806d66080873.jpeg

encasing your helment in a 1990s PC Mainboard box means that the obviously disintegrating aero plastic mold is just like new!

bonus points if you noticed the hottest trend in curly-bar-bike freddom: steer-to-shift housing coming from your brifters:

138166109_boxbrimsteershift.thumb.jpeg.bd3c8c7b93ebff39b37490c527c98ecc.jpeg

(I can't tell you how many times I've actually seen something like this roll into a bike shop.)

• Like 1