IGNORED

BCGB Reservations - How it Works

I made a reservation to ride the Greenbelt today and took a ride down there to check out the process and talk to the folk that have to enforce this.

Here is the detail: http://www.austinbike.com/index.php/blog/376-barton-creek-reservations-from-covid-19

If you have other questions I am happy to answer them or try to find out from the city, I have time on my hands and can try to be the point person.

But if you just want to bitch about it or throw out crazy conspiracy theories, please use the other thread. I have little patience for that noise these days. Let's keep this thread to the actual mechanics of how this thing works and what it means to biking.

Edited by AustinBike
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

4 hours ago, Shinerider said:

Do they really care about people entering the greenbelt from other than main access points?  I would figure the main thing they are trying to do is keep the groups of people gathering at the normal swimming holes (which are probably pretty tepid if not dry by now).

They were trying not to say that it was not an issue. When I asked them if you need a reservation if you are starting somewhere else the answer was more of “you should” than you must. My opinion is that starting early, from a non-permit location probably means you don’t have to worry. All of the cops I have ever talked to on the GB were cool, if you are riding from 8-11, for instance, I think they’d just leave you alone. 

They were trying not to say that it was not an issue. When I asked them if you need a reservation if you are starting somewhere else the answer was more of “you should” than you must. My opinion is that starting early, from a non-permit location probably means you don’t have to worry. All of the cops I have ever talked to on the GB were cool, if you are riding from 8-11, for instance, I think they’d just leave you alone. 
Figured as much.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

On 8/15/2020 at 10:07 AM, Shinerider said:

Do they really care about people entering the greenbelt from other than main access points?  I would figure the main thing they are trying to do is keep the groups of people gathering at the normal swimming holes (which are probably pretty tepid if not dry by now).

As of this morning the swimming hole at the bottom of the HoL isn't dry, and is possibly beyond tepid.

IMG_3506.thumb.jpeg.c8f3000e27fbccab15782c9a18d7fc5e.jpeg

The number of people there in the early morning seems to have diminished compared to what it was like before the closure at the beginning of July. As a bonus, so has the amount of dog poop and poop bags. There is an increase in wild animal scat though.

I also noticed that near the trailhead at the end of Scottish Woods someone had spray painted P2P in preparation for the paid parking program. When I called the BCGB hotline last week to ask if the greenbelt was open I also asked about paid parking and they stated that the parking was going to be handled by TxDOT and that they didn't have a timeline for the implementation.

IMG_3501.thumb.jpeg.5a05932c7bf8591fe183d9c34677e7c1.jpeg 

• Like 1