IGNORED

Shop for Manitou Service?

Debo

considering what a PITA that fork is to service—personally—I would sell it and buy something more user-friendly. if weird, proprietary tools kept me from performing routine maintenance on a bicycle part, I don't need that in my life.

So much this. If they make the fork bulletproof and not require service (marzochi DJ fork style) then they can weld it shut. Otherwise, there is no excuse to design the product to not allow the user to service. That’s crap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did some searching, found the tool kit for $60.  As for selling the fork, I would consider that but I a) run 29+ and this fork was a bitch to find, and b) love the fork more than anything else I've ridden to date.  I'll probably buy the tool kit, grease and oil and give it a go.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Debo said:

I did some searching, found the tool kit for $60.  As for selling the fork, I would consider that but I a) run 29+ and this fork was a bitch to find, and b) love the fork more than anything else I've ridden to date.  I'll probably buy the tool kit, grease and oil and give it a go.

I have a Rockshock Yari on my 29+ and it seems to work fine.  Those big cushy tires take so much of the hit out of things that I'm not sure the fork has to work as hard as it normally would.  If you like the fork and can get the tool that cheap, I guess it's not that big of a deal.  I've paid that just for a bearing puller on a Yeti frame and didn't complain.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well, I completed the service on the Manitou yesterday.  Not that bad a job, messy as hell though with all the grease and fork oil.  On the plus side all the oil and seals looked great, it really just needed to be re-greased on the o rings.  So if anyone has a manitou that needs service let me know, I have the full inventory of fluids/tools to do the job.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

respect. more people need to learn to service their own shit. it's a small investment in tools and it's not that hard. glad to hear you stuck it out. now do that 2X a year and you'll save yourself hundreds of dollars and many missed rides by not relying on someone else for that service.

How do you learn the correct way to do this? 

26 minutes ago, Cafeend said:

read the instructions. watch some independent videos of other people doing it. the instructions are presented in several formats all over the internet, free and ready to learn from them. none of it is more difficult trying shoelaces if you take the time to learn it.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Cafeend said:

Hayes (owner of Manitou)  has a really good online support library.  Also found a youtube video they made.  I'm also mechanically inclined (wrenched on cars for 25+ years) so it was pretty straight forward.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

respect. more people need to learn to service their own shit. it's a small investment in tools and it's not that hard. glad to hear you stuck it out. now do that 2X a year and you'll save yourself hundreds of dollars and many missed rides by not relying on someone else for that service.

I appreciate that.  Full admission- once I saw what shops were charging for the service vs. cost of tools and parts it was a no brainer for me.  I built this bike from the frame up, only thing I have left to dig into is the rear shock.

2 minutes ago, Cafeend said:

I am not to intimidated by most jobs but forks and shocks tend to make me wanna pay. I am certain it is one of those things that if I take the time and go slow it wont be bad

Thanks Mac

If your riding Rock Shox or Fox the service is way simpler than what I just did.  As long as you have the tools on hand its less than an hour job.

• Like 1

On 8/24/2020 at 2:40 PM, mack_turtle said:

considering what a PITA that fork is to service—personally—I would sell it and buy something more user-friendly. if weird, proprietary tools kept me from performing routine maintenance on a bicycle part, I don't need that in my life.

Wisdom

On 8/24/2020 at 2:40 PM, mack_turtle said:

I think this is still a helpful perspective, but it sounds like Debo overcame the challenge and learned a lot in the process. If the ability to service your own ___ bike part means spending less on proprietary tools than the cost of paying someone to service that part once, it's probably worthwhile to DIY. there's a threshold at which I don't think it's worth it. anything that specifically requires that I send it back to the manufacturer is not with the performance boost I might get for that part. The only exception I can think of for not DIYing is finishing a frame with reaming, chasing, and facing bearing interfaces. the tools to do that are not worth owning unless you go through a LOT of frames. any good LBS can take care of that for you though. my current frame needed the headtube reamed badly.

3 hours ago, Cafeend said:

I am not to intimidated by most jobs but forks and shocks tend to make me wanna pay. I am certain it is one of those things that if I take the time and go slow it wont be bad

Thanks Mac

I was of the same mindset until covid made it expensive PLUS an impossible wait time. I did my fork and shock (both Fox) with some frustration on each. However, I wouldn't hesitate to do it again now that I've done it once.

• Like 1

Manitou stuff is designed to be user serviced. You just need the tools to do it. They sell all the service tools on their website. If you have the tools you can do a travel change on their forks in about 10-15 minutes. A travel change on Rockshox is not as quick neither is DVO can't speak for Fox. I have heard that Fox is not as user serviceable.