IGNORED

Gravel bikes 650b vs 700c

mack_turtle

700c.

I have been looking at buying another 700c gravel rig and using a set of old wtb frequency i23 wheels laying around, to run it as a fat 60b. I like the idea of being able to run a beefier tire/rim for when the deathwish takes hold, and I venture into MTB trails. The 700c is great for gravel/asphalt/hardpack as you can get faster lighter rolling tires that don't eat speed like the 650s do.  Kinda dual duty.

Worst case you can always swap the factory wheels back.

Edited by ATXZJ

3 hours ago, Chief said:

Just mounted 45mm tires on my Private Jake. Game changer the 33mm tires were sketchy when you get into trails, the 45's have tons more traction stay online better and provide a smoother ride. Suburban Ninja is a great trail for these bikes.

Which tire did you go with?

3 hours ago, TheX said:

Sorry about all the questions, I'm ordering a pair right now. I want to ride it at Walnut, but the Maxxis 33's on there right now are bone jarring.

Yeah 33's are way to skinny for any fun. The 45's are pretty awesome so far. As a matter of fact the 45's have me hunting a new frame.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Chief said:

Yeah 33's are way to skinny for any fun. The 45's are pretty awesome so far. As a matter of fact the 45's have me hunting a new frame.

likewise, I need something new. I think the Budget Committee is OK with it. I've looked everywhere for someone who would modify my frame to allow for a 40–42mm tire, but came up empty. I have some options but can't seem to settle on anything. the Surly Straggler is my best option so far, but the All City Superprofessional also has my attention. with all the "gravel" bikes going to 12mm thru axles and stuff, I might have to give up my White Industries hub and freewheel, which makes me sad. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/31/2020 at 1:49 PM, mack_turtle said:

likewise, I need something new. I think the Budget Committee is OK with it. I've looked everywhere for someone who would modify my frame to allow for a 40–42mm tire, but came up empty. I have some options but can't seem to settle on anything. the Surly Straggler is my best option so far, but the All City Superprofessional also has my attention. with all the "gravel" bikes going to 12mm thru axles and stuff, I might have to give up my White Industries hub and freewheel, which makes me sad. 

How about adding Breezer Radar to your list?

57 minutes ago, St.Bernardo said:

How about adding Breezer Radar to your list?

Sorry, I should have clarified. Too many gears. I need one and only one. Unfortunately, that limits a lot. Something with a PF30 would allow me to run a eccentric BB at least. I've tried a bunch of springy tensioners and they all suck balls.

Edited by mack_turtle

Somehow I missed the Jake. Looks like they dropped the Private one. Ideally, I'd have a Rove with adjustable dropouts or an eccentric PF30.

• My hopes are hanging on Van Dessel. [Edit: Van Dessel stuff is totally out of stock for the foreseeable future.]
    [edit-edit: I called Texas Cycle Sport and they told me that VD stuff is impossible to get. I got an email from VD the next day saying they have lots of stock—what do I want to buy?)
  • Not as exciting is the Bombtrack Arise 2. There are no dealers nearby so a trip to Houston might be in order.
  • Most promising is a semi-custom build on a Twin Six Standard Rando. Twin Six was quick to respond with an email to help me sort that out.
Edited by mack_turtle