IGNORED

Gravel bikes 650b vs 700c

mack_turtle

6 hours ago, mack_turtle said:

Somehow I missed the Jake. Looks like they dropped the Private one. 

Kona has a habit of killing anything interesting. PJ is a great platform and there are still some stragglers out there for sale

http://www.bikeman.com/KON-F16JP03.html?utm_source=GoogleBase&utm_medium=GoogleBase&utm_campaign=GoogleBase

Edited by ATXZJ

40 minutes ago, bestbike85 said:

Have you looked at the Salsa Stormchaser? I see you want a SS. Can’t speak to the Stormchaser itself, but it’s basically the same geo as the journeyman and I love that bike. Love it in both 650 and 700, but if I had to pick 1, it would be 650. 

That was my first choice. 100% out of stock until sometime next year. There's a pattern forming here.

Edited by mack_turtle

12 hours ago, bestbike85 said:

Have you looked at the Salsa Stormchaser?

As much as I enjoy SS, a SS gravel/adventure/touring rig never made sense to me. Even though I like the simplicity, the mixed terrain encountered by this type of bike effectively means you're almost always in wrong gear. Yeah, that's how singlespeed works anyway I suppose. But for an adventure bike the idea is highlighted. I suppose if I lived around a ton of relatively flat gravel roads then that'd make sense. 

• Like 1

I rode a drop-bar bike with gears off an on over the past few years. the gears always felt annoying and limiting to me. just a preference, but I have zero use for them. if I lived near mountains, I'd probably set up a dinglespeed. If i was going to do an actual "adventure tour" loaded down with camping gear and riding for day after day, I'd probably want gears. some people do Tour Divide on a SS, but where I draw the line for nutcase status. Riding a 100k gravel route on one gear is fine.

I also put a 1x10 on my mountain bike for a little while and rode the BCGB with it. I could not climb or ride any technical features with any more confidence than I could with a singlespeed. I cleaned the same features and walked the same sections. and my quads were on fire at the end, which never happens when I stick to one gear.

with the limited options available right now, I've resigned myself to just waiting. if I buy anything now, I'll regret it when new options become available in a few months after the supply chain has caught up. the money is burning a hole in my pocket but I'll just wait. if you're familiar with the Marshmallow Experiment, I'm the kind of person who would never hope to make it to marshmallow #2 and it's agonizing to have to wait that long.

Edited by mack_turtle

2 hours ago, Barry said:

As much as I enjoy SS, a SS gravel/adventure/touring rig never made sense to me. Even though I like the simplicity, the mixed terrain encountered by this type of bike effectively means you're almost always in wrong gear. Yeah, that's how singlespeed works anyway I suppose. But for an adventure bike the idea is highlighted. I suppose if I lived around a ton of relatively flat gravel roads then that'd make sense. 

I had a SS Gary fisher triton roadie a long time ago while living in the flatlands of Lafayette Louisiana. Fun bike, but I’m not sure I’m a real SS rider deep down in my heart. 

1 hour ago, Chief said:

What sealant are you using?

Funny you should ask. I had read about people getting weeping on the sidewalls, so I did the front with Stan's and the rear with Orange. Wanted to see which worked better. Both are exhibiting the same behavior. I'll do another dose of both.

• Like 1