IGNORED

Would Really Appreciate Help With Finding Old School Headset Parts...

I've got a project that I'm just short of some headset parts for. I thought I had put the loose parts away, but I've looked around and can't find them. The bike frame has the cups pressed in (1 1/8 steer tube), and I have retainer bearings that fit... I'm missing the top cover and inside part, and the bottom section too. If anyone has old headsets laying around I'd be happy to buy them off you and see if I can make something work for me. Thanks

The headset cups are Tioga brand... And the whole set up looks like this...

Screen Shot 2020-08-28 at 6.40.25 PM.png

Yellow bike has its monthly first-Tuesday meeting via Zoom this coming Tuesday at 7 (keep in mind that it's a co-op, so there's a specific member times and a specific open-to-the-public time)... I've asked to participate. Haven't got the email with info yet. I was there last Tuesday dropping off some kid's bikes I had collected over the months and was told that in the meeting they will be discussing opening up to walk-in customers. Right now I believe they're just building bikes to give away, although I did see someone drive in with bikes on a rack that had the big price tags that YBP uses on their retail bikes. Not really sure what that was all about. And they have resumed eBay sales (not cheap with their prices either).

YBP was kind of going through a transitional thing before COVID hit. Most of the people who worked there had left because of disagreements on how things should be run. YBP started off as a non-profit volunteer only community resource, but has become a kind of quasi retail/community service facility; and to support this new direction, a few years ago (I think), those who sit on the co-op board of YBP made a decision to add a few full-time paid employees. But YBP still benefits from it's original non-profit standing. Before COVID, it was becoming harder and harder to find good parts, especially when a decision was made to engage in eBay sales. The thought behind that was that some customers were buying parts from them and making money selling these parts on eBay, and that YBP should do the same. So when people donated things, there was a kind of for eBay cherry-picking that was carried out by a member of the staff before regular customers were allowed the opportunity to buy. Needless to say, it brought up questions of what exactly YBP is, and is for.

YBP makes okay money, so it's not a financial issue. The real issue YBP had pre-COVID was workers... The demand for bikes exceeded what their small workforce could keep up with... And the ability to properly organize the parts area was lacking.

YBP is undoubtedly a wonderful community asset for Austin. Unfortunately, with the growth of Austin — meaning Austin traffic — the ability/willingness of customers to get to YBP's location in East Austin began to drop... So did the volunteer interest.

As with all things... Change must come. What exactly that means to YBP, last I heard was still up in the air. And with the onset of COVID, another spanner has been thrown in the works.

If I get the ZOOM meeting info I'll post it here.

Edited by RidingAgain

yup, I'd spend time working on bike at YBP but the route I would need to take to get there is ridiculous. the location is probably good for them in some ways.

if anyone is listening, they'd probably work more efficiently if they would trash/recycle 99% of the junk they store there. customers like me are discouraged from going in there at all because you have to sift through 300 pounds of scrap metal before finding anything that is even usable.

selling stuff on ebay sounds like a good idea, so long as they are selling the stuff that most of their clientele is unlikely to actually use. they need the revenue more than they need a vintage Camagnolo crankset.

Edited by mack_turtle