IGNORED

WTF is wrong with people?

notyal

On 9/1/2020 at 3:52 PM, GFisher said:

Do people think someone will come around to pick it up? I was riding through a very nice neighborhood on the way to some trails once and saw an older lady maybe 60+ drop a poop bag in the gutter. Without really thinking I asked is she was going to leave it there as I rode by (not snottilly, more just in a reflex confused tone). She instantly got pissed and cussed me out, I think I ended up telling her to F off or something (my bad). I felt really bad afterwards. I think she was even with her mom. The older lady must have been in her 80s'.

So did they pick it up?

• Like 1

On 9/1/2020 at 3:52 PM, GFisher said:

Do people think someone will come around to pick it up?

I wonder about that too. Tossing the poop off the trail somewhere would be less polluting. There's plenty of non-domestic animal shit out there already. Preserving it in bags makes ZERO sense.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, TheX said:

I wonder about that too. Tossing the poop off the trail somewhere would be less polluting. There's plenty of non-domestic animal shit out there already. Preserving it in bags makes ZERO sense.

The problem is the sheer concentration of dog feces in a relatively small area, vs natural feces over a more widespread area.  So what goes in a wild area where you can drop a deuce and bury it, doesn't work in a metropolitan park.  This is one reason why they started to have leash requirements in more and more Austin parks, with the theory being that people would see when their dogs go and pick it up and dispose of it properly, but obviously that assumed people are not idiots or jerks.

In my quest to assume people are NOT assholes in general, I'm going to theorize that poop bag leavers think it is what you are suppose to do.

"I see everyone else doing it so it must be the right thing."

"The city trail maintenance people will pick this up." I grit my teeth at this because a lot of mountain bikers also assume "the city" maintains all the single track they ride.

Even if this is true for 50% of the offenders (the other 50% ARE assholes) how do you educate them? 

• Like 2

On 9/3/2020 at 6:19 AM, Bamwa said:

So did they pick it up?

Not sure, this all took place as I was riding by. I think she was saying she would pick it up on her "F'king way back". Even if she was, leaving trash around for people to have to look at (or maybe even pick up themselves) is shitty (literally).

38 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

leaving dog waste to wash into waterways is really awful for water quality. so it leaving it in little bags in landfills. you just can't win.

I'm complaining about people that put in bags, and forget the part about getting it to the landfills. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, TheX said:

I'm complaining about people that put in bags, and forget the part about getting it to the landfills. 

yeah, that's worse. you're infecting the water with bacteria and polluting it with plastic bags at the same time. I'd rather they just do the former if that's the case, but that's still really awful. I have to wonder if all the dog-killing crap that's in Town Lake and elsewhere is exacerbated by... dog poop.

• Like 1

On 9/1/2020 at 9:45 AM, AustinBike said:

Wow, that sucks. Remind me never to use that trailhead.

Oh, and my guess is trail runners. Bikers tend to have much better taste and not care about the carbs in beer.

You’re joking, right? I don’t know a single trail runner who would chuck their empties onto the ground.