IGNORED

I Fall A Lot

MrTheCatLady

3 hours ago, mack_turtle said:

There's a "ramp" of boulders just south of Bowie HS and the Bowie Stonewall segment down here that are good for that.

I'm still a fat 0 on that last stonewall obstacle. I was doing a lot of attempts until I cracked my helmet on that low branch. I might have to leave that box un-ticked permanently.

2 hours ago, GFisher said:

That poor dude took a shit load of online ribbing for that one, I remember him eventually getting totally pissed. Someone even had a still of him going over as their avatar. 😂

Erik Eokerholm(?)

He ended up being a customer at the HH shop early on.  We had him a custom built Ventana 29er (for a 6' 6" tall dude) and it completely changed his riding life!  The big 29er wheels suited his size so much better and Ventana was able to make one to truly fit him.  We custom spec'd a few tubes for strength and rigidity while running quad bearings everywhere.  It actually ended up being a nice success story.

Later,
CJB

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Cafeend said:

Few things:

Is this MrTheCatLady?  I've got to give some props for hitting that on a rigid bike.  Seriously, that's not a normal use for that kind of feature (which means that you need legit skilz to pull it off successfully).

Next, I've always wanted to see that video in full speed.  The slow-mo changes the flow of what happens and accentuates all the subtle nuances (sometimes in misleading ways)

Lastly, initially the take off and landing look OK.  Its a few moments later on the lower stuff where he gets out of wack and looses the front end.  (Loss of focus?...shock that he pulled off the upper and now has his hands full with the lower stuff?)   HOWEVER, I suspect that even though the launch looks pretty good, you CAN see that he's off ever so slightly from the centerline of his mass, thus causing his bike to gently over-correct in the air, which may ultimately have set him up for loosing the front end later on (as his mass moves left and right).  Its almost like a mini tank-slapper.  But as I said above, I think seeing the video in real time would answer a bit more.

Still it wasn't a bad effort IMHO.  But with that kind of tool doing that kind of job, there is very little margin for subtle errors. (this is coming from someone who's pretty much been a life-long hardtail rider)

Cheers,
CJB

Edited by CBaron
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, taco_junkie said:

I'm still a fat 0 on that last stonewall obstacle. I was doing a lot of attempts until I cracked my helmet on that low branch. I might have to leave that box un-ticked permanently.

I've ridden that 100 times and I always fail that last boulder. nemesis! I need to really study the line options there, but the low-hanging branch does make it difficult.

Yeah I went full commit and tried to launch up the rock but ended up sending my head straight into the branch. I think my visor was down for the late day sun and I just forgot it was there. At least my spine was aligned and I didn't torque anything but I heard the helmet give up its ghost and I went straight home as a precaution. Rode all of 10 minutes that day.

21 hours ago, GFisher said:

That poor dude took a shit load of online ribbing for that one, I remember him eventually getting totally pissed. Someone even had a still of him going over as their avatar. 😂

Even better:

We were at Palo Duro Canyon riding. Met up with a bunch of girls from Dallas, Olkerhom was trying to hit on them. Mentioned we were from Austin and they said "oh man, we saw this video of a guy in Austin going over the bars..."

<cue the record scratch>

"Yeah, that was me."

Classic moment. If I had not see it live I would never have believed the story.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/16/2020 at 1:40 PM, CBaron said:

Erik Eokerholm(?)

He ended up being a customer at the HH shop early on.  We had him a custom built Ventana 29er (for a 6' 6" tall dude) and it completely changed his riding life!  The big 29er wheels suited his size so much better and Ventana was able to make one to truly fit him.  We custom spec'd a few tubes for strength and rigidity while running quad bearings everywhere.  It actually ended up being a nice success story.

Later,
CJB

Those old small bikes were pretty tough for us bigger folk. Proper XL and XXL frames, 29" tires and wider bars have made riding so much better and safer. I wonder what riding with Lee McCormack's proper bar width would feel like (height in mm times .440), although I would be crashing into trees constantly.

On 9/17/2020 at 3:09 PM, DBehrens said:

Pretty much the only ARR ride I have been on outside of a random R&I appearance...  At least if you are going to eat it, make sure there is plenty of audience and subsequent evidence. 

mtb fail.jpg

The Bones, at RPR. I think I was there that day.

On 9/17/2020 at 8:31 AM, AustinBike said:

Even better:

We were at Palo Duro Canyon riding. Met up with a bunch of girls from Dallas, Olkerhom was trying to hit on them. Mentioned we were from Austin and they said "oh man, we saw this video of a guy in Austin going over the bars..."

<cue the record scratch>

"Yeah, that was me."

Classic moment. If I had not see it live I would never have believed the story.

I second AB on this.

• Like 1

On 9/18/2020 at 5:54 PM, AustinBike said:

It feels like I might have taken that picture....

You may have.  I know my wife collected about 3 or 4 different angles of the incident at different points along the way from people.  🙂  She reminds me occasionally to be careful, but have fun.  

1 hour ago, DBehrens said:

You may have.  I know my wife collected about 3 or 4 different angles of the incident at different points along the way from people.  🙂  She reminds me occasionally to be careful, but have fun.  

No, I did not take that picture. The "after" pictures don't do a good job of capturing action, they're so passive.

I prefer ones like this:

image-36.JPG

• Like 2