IGNORED

Xt rear derailleur

manuels61

So anybody else running an xt 8000 rear D with clutch that seems to be working itself to off position after a few jumps/miles,?? It’s at least 1 1/2 tears old and six months ago the switch for the clutch broke off, I noticed the clutch before doing this so got new one rebuilt it and thought maybe this would fix the broken and the slipping of the clutch but it has continued to drop to off position usually after only 5-10 miles seems to be getting shorter, anybody come across this? Any fix before I just buy new drive train? ,, ps. I only need one person to say no! buy new, can’t be fixed so I can justify this to the wife! [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The lever is actually moving to the off position not completely but I think only because I usually catch it especially now because I’m constantly looking to see how much it has moved, mac like I said I replaced the lever a couple months ago and serviced the whole thing and have everything tensioned right

9 hours ago, manuels61 said:

So anybody else running an xt 8000 rear D with clutch that seems to be working itself to off position after a few jumps/miles,?

Until I recently sold a couple of bikes, I ran XT RD-M8000  on 4 bikes. I still have it on 2 bikes. I tend to get about 4000 or so miles out of them until they just wear down or get bashed enough to stop functioning. I keep a lot of the spare parts, so in an emergency I may cobble one together. But I also always keep a new on on the shelf. They're only $80, after all. So I'd venture to guess that I've bought quite a bit more than a dozen of them over the 6 or so years that I've been using them. And in all those I have encountered 2 that have had issues that I've managed to warranty. 

The first one sounds a bit like yours, but it occurred on a new derailer. Oddly the clutch didn't lock on. When you engage the clutch, it didn't "click" into place. It flips to roughly the on position, but it doesn't stay engaged for more than a few minutes of riding. After a couple of minutes, it is full flipped into the off position. Fully tightening or loosening the clutch didn't help the situation. And when I pulled it apart to look at it, the little friction cam that was supposed to hold the clutch lever in place just wasn't doing it's job. Jenson sent me a new one. 

The other issue occurred with one after a just few weeks a use. The clutch just stopped returning. It was still very stiff, but it didn't actuate back once it moved forward. Odd. I didn't bother to break this one down for diagnosis. Jenson sent me a new one. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, manuels61 said:

No worries guys will prob just replace it and upgrade my little girls bike with this one, was just wondering if anybody else has had this issue thanks

IMHO, you might as well go with an 8100 so you have the flexibility of running a bigger cassette in the future.

21 minutes ago, manuels61 said:

Yea I’ve got 42 now and thinking of going 46 is time for new cassette and chain so ur right I prob will thanks

You can run 46 with the 7/8/9k stuff and up to 51t with the 7.1,8.1 & 9.1. I'd buy the 8100 just for the better design even if you're gonna run 46t. IMHO, hard to beat the MX8 series sunrace 11-46. Fairly light considering, and plays well with OEM and doesn't have the stupid 37-46 jump like the shimano cassettes.

Here's the place I buy my shimano & sunrace and various bike stuff for a good price.

https://www.lordgun.com/

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 1