IGNORED

Cost per mile?

The Tip

One of the things I like about Strava is that it is an effective odometer. I am able to see how often I do things to the bikes. 

I put a new $65 tire on after 2,850 miles. That got me thinking about how much it costs per mile to operate a mountain bike. That one tire cost 2.28 cents per mile. So extrapolated two tires cost 4 1/2 cents a mile. That's interesting.

Then I started thinking about all the other things that we go through. Either buying new things or service costs that I can't do; dropper posts, chains, shocks, brake pads, rim tape & stems, sealant, and...what else?

I think that 5 cents a mile is a conservative cost per mile. Not that this epiphany will alter my riding habits. But maybe I'll more appreciate my next 20 mile ride that just cost me a dollar!

Just had a thought about the cost of a new bike. This conservative 5 cents a mile doesn't take into consideration the depreciation of the cost of a new bike. 

• Like 1

This would be an interesting task, but it leaves out the biggest issues for me. My singular largest concern is Alzheimer's, runs in the family and it is an ugly end. Exercise and diet are the two largest impacts that you can have (because you can't change genetics...) In that world, a $10,000 bike is still a worthy investment. I have zero issue with spending money on a bike.

Now, where does this exercise really matter for me? In situations like XT vs. XTR. Or this helmet vs. that helmet. I'm less interested in how much, per mile, this sport costs. I am more interested in understanding where paying a premium on components is a good idea and where it is a bad idea. For instance, a King headset is 2X the price of a Cane Creek. Is it worth it? (probably not). For tires, however, that would be a very relevant measure. Or drivetrain. 

Think about handlebars. A standard carbon bar is ~$120-150 or so. But is it worth money to upgrade to a better bar? These are areas that I grapple with in my mind. 

The only good news is that I have not been on the mountain bike for months, so I can justify any 2010 upgrade at this point.

24 minutes ago, Big_papa_nuts said:

someone that owns four MTBs, to quit looking at the numbers.

^ this

Learned long ago with auto racing and off-roading to never look at the numbers. Adding a spreadsheet to any hobby is path to neuroticism.

As long as it's still fun, and there's enough in the bank, move forward.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mack_turtle said:

what about when you destroy a wheel on a hidden bowling ball-sized rock at the bottom of a hill? the first few hundred miles were free, but that last 5 feet cost me 500 bucks!

This is precisely why the phrase "unlimited lifetime warranty" makes me so happy. Currently my SC Reserves cost 20 cents per mile. That cost will decrease indefinitely. 

Edited by Barry
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Big_papa_nuts said:

I did a quick estimate recently on what it costs per year to properly maintain a dual suspension MTB, that gets ridden regularly, per year and it's somewhere near $2k (if your taking it to a shop).

Was the $2K just maintenance? Not cost of bike? What did you throw in your calculations?

1 minute ago, Taco Man said:

After ruining 3 (so far) Rear Ds this year Im just starting to budget a couple $100 every quarter for a new one.

As I sucked a small stick into my rear D last weekend (luckily just bent the hanger it seems) I was really cursing the fact that these things still exist.I can't count how many I have destroyed over the years. And no, I am not interested in an SS. 😉

4 minutes ago, ATXZJ said:

^ this

Learned long ago with auto racing and off-roading to never look at the numbers. Adding a spreadsheet to any hobby is path to neuroticism.

As long as it's still fun, and there's enough in the bank, move forward.

Man, you should see my Excel health dashboard of what I track every day. Yeah, neurotic, but it keeps me focused on my tasks. Sometimes obsession is good.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, GFisher said:

Not sure I follow you Barry, but I am very interested!

It looks like they changed the cheeky language they used to use about high-fiving you if you break it. But the effective warranty is still the same. No matter how you break it riding, they'll replace it. Since then, other carbon wheel manufactures have matched this warranty as well.  

https://www.santacruzbicycles.com/en-US/reserve-wheels

https://www.santacruzbicycles.com/en-US/warranty

Santa Cruz Bicycles will repair or replace at its option any Reserve rim made by Santa Cruz Bicycles that is damaged or destroyed by riding. 

• Like 1

I am sure it all costs a lot more than any calculations we can make. Cost of helmets, gloves, glasses, and special shorts, additional laundry and bathing from being all sweaty, trail tools, cost of gas to drive to different trails, trips to the bike shop, tools and maintenance, and it costs a lot more if you don't maintain your bike at all, or if you take it to the shop for every little thing. or if you don't take it to the shop and break stuff by ham-fisting your bike.

it's good to keep a rational budget in mind, but something that makes you happy and keeps you active and socially connected is priceless.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Big_papa_nuts said:

I did a quick estimate recently on what it costs per year to properly maintain a dual suspension MTB, that gets ridden regularly, per year and it's somewhere near $2k (if your taking it to a shop).

I think this is if you take it to a shop and have your suspension serviced and pivot bits replaced by the manufacturers' service schedule. no one does this, and it's probably over-zealous to do so. however, most people let their suspension parts go to crap until it's too late. there's probably a healthy middle ground, and you can do most of the work at home. if you spent NOTHING on servicing your suspension over the course of a year on a bike that is ridden regularly, you're probably doing it wrong.

Edited by mack_turtle

6 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

I am sure it all costs a lot more than any calculations we can make. Cost of helmets, gloves, glasses, and special shorts, additional laundry and bathing from being all sweaty, trail tools, cost of gas to drive to different trails, trips to the bike shop, tools and maintenance, and it costs a lot more if you don't maintain your bike at all, or if you take it to the shop for every little thing.

Dude, those are excellent categories for columns! Or should they be rows? Either way it's a good start!

Although I think maybe it's wrong that my heart rate increased from excitement reading that. 

Edited by Barry
missed one of these: '
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

I am sure it all costs a lot more than any calculations we can make. Cost of ... trail tools,

large.jpg.775494b226a855b908ca7b52e70e5d32.jpg

Don't get me started on THAT cost!

(broken saw picture sent to Fiskar for warranty replacement)

Edited by The Tip

I average a few hundred per month on bike related items.  This month has been especially painful.   Ordered a new rear shock, 2 sets of tires and some random smaller items.  And the month is not yet over...

I break\wear down lots of parts due to my weight and (lack of) riding style.  230# riding weight.

2 hours ago, AustinBike said:

Man, you should see my Excel health dashboard of what I track every day. Yeah, neurotic, but it keeps me focused on my tasks. Sometimes obsession is good.

Spent a decade in the corporate world living and managing off of spreadsheets to the point of repulsion. They certainly have their place in our lives,  but I want nothing to do with them when it comes to my leisure time. MTB is a way for me to disconnect, return to the basics, and tune out the noise.

I don't care what that costs.

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ATXZJ said:

Spent a decade in the corporate world living and managing off of spreadsheets to the point of repulsion. They certainly have their place in our lives,  but I want nothing to do with them when it comes to my leisure time. MTB is a way for me to disconnect, return to the basics, and tune out the noise.

Very much this. I don't mix hobbies with computers. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ATXZJ said:

Yeah, the only column on my spreadsheet tied to biking is bike miles. This ensures that I get on a bike almost every day 😉

I have my wife finally understanding that bike time = meditation time so now she wants me on the bike every day.

• Like 1