IGNORED

Cost per mile?

The Tip

44 minutes ago, AustinBike said:

Yeah, the only column on my spreadsheet tied to biking is bike miles. This ensures that I get on a bike almost every day 😉

I have my wife finally understanding that bike time = meditation time so now she wants me on the bike every day.

Didn't you use to track climbing feet and flying miles way back when?

24 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

Didn't you use to track climbing feet and flying miles way back when?

Yep, every year I have a set of goals that I track. One year, for biking, it was to climb more feet than I flew in miles on American. Blew that one out 350K vs 150K. This year’s bike goal is average miles, target is 15 per day. Catching up this year from the surgery. Rest of the goals are mind and body.

• Like 1

I'm so cheap my cost per mile is like that 9/10 cent like pumping gas. I take care of my chit and it still rolls like the day I brought it back from Monkeywrench.  My Voodoo Canzo is from 10/21/11 and all I've had to change is a few tires and brake pads. $2500 for 9 years. Not too shabby. I do have a Monarch seal kit for the future. Same chain too. It's stretched like a hooker's anus but still has never broken. xtr 3x9, stans crest, eten, wellgo wam d10s, craigslist reba, craigslist carbon bars, analog bb7s, ergon wings. It must be my squeeky horn, incredibell, and feather mojo protecting me. Oh and always ride through hub deep water to give a good rinse.

Edited by Bamwa
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Bamwa said:

I'm so cheap my cost per mile is like that 9/10 cent like pumping gas. I take care of my chit and it still rolls like the day I brought it back from Monkeywrench.  My Voodoo Canzo is from 10/21/11 and all I've had to change is a few tires and brake pads. $2500 for 9 years. Not too shabby. I do have a Monarch seal kit for the future. Same chain too. It's stretched like a hooker's anus but still has never broken. xtr 3x9, stans crest, eten, wellgo wam d10s, craigslist reba, craigslist carbon bars, analog bb7s, ergon wings. It must be my squeeky horn, incredibell, and feather mojo protecting me. Oh and always ride through hub deep water to give a good rinse.

I think it's the combination of hooker's anus and hub deep water that keep things running smoothly.  Well played!

• Like 2

On 9/23/2020 at 9:21 AM, mack_turtle said:

I think this is if you take it to a shop and have your suspension serviced and pivot bits replaced by the manufacturers' service schedule. no one does this, and it's probably over-zealous to do so. however, most people let their suspension parts go to crap until it's too late. there's probably a healthy middle ground, and you can do most of the work at home. if you spent NOTHING on servicing your suspension over the course of a year on a bike that is ridden regularly, you're probably doing it wrong.

My fork is a Cane Creek Helm and the service schedule is a lower seal service every 50hrs followed by a full service (which needs to be sent in) every 100hrs. No way I'm shipping my fork off every 100hrs. They'd have to set up a loaner program like the car dealership for me to even consider sending mine in. I take good care of my fork, I clean the stanchions after every ride and I actually service the lowers close to every 100hrs because new seal kits are easy to order and install. My shock is probably due for a new seal service, which I'll do myself.

If I neglect anything, I'm not very good at replacing linkage bearings when I should.

every so often, I look up my last few rides on my mtb and record about how many hours I've spent on that bike. when I get to a certain point, I know it's time to service my fork. I have other bike spreadsheets to record the dimensions I use to fit one bike or another, but I try not to let it get much nerdier than that.

• 1 month later...

i like simple goals ... Mrs_Bear and I agreed long ago that i needed to ride a mile for every $ spent on the bike, original purchase only. Replacement parts and upgrades after the fact not included (although there's been years that still would have been ok).

But I'm only authorized one bike setup as "as Bear requires" ... the rest have just need be "good enough" to not insult the primary bike.

• Like 2