IGNORED

The Future and Don't Look Back

TheX

Going mullet on my commencal SX.

I've run the numbers, taken the measurements and it's not that drastic of a change. 1/4" raise in the BB when going to a 29x2.5 from a 27.5x2.6 while dropping the front travel 10mm down to 170mm. The HTA drops .5 to 62.5 and the STA goes to 74.5. Far from any major changes. Also currently running a mullet on the wife's bike while replacement wheel is being built. Worst case you install a set of offset shock bushings to raise the BB back up if you're swapping the rear wheel.

IMHO, there's not much use in a mullet bike here in flatlandia.

IMG_20200809_100825443.jpg

IMG_20200920_161812168.jpg

• Like 1

Back in the early 2000's huck to flat days, rode with a group that really liked the Specialized Big Hit mullet that had a 24" rear wheel. Made sense for them, really strong rear wheel for those rear wheel heavy landings. Thought the Trek 69er was a cool idea with the dual crown Maverick? fork but the geo was fooked back then. Would love to try a mullet bike, although not sure it would do much for my riding ability, sure sounds like fun.

The Trek 69er | Singletrack Magazine Forum

Edited by rockshins

1 hour ago, rockshins said:

Back in the early 2000's huck to flat days, rode with a group that really liked the Specialized Big Hit mullet that had a 24" rear wheel. Made sense for them, really strong rear wheel for those rear wheel heavy landings. Thought the Trek 69er was a cool idea with the dual crown Maverick? fork but the geo was fooked back then. Would love to try a mullet bike, although not sure it would do much for my riding ability, sure sounds like fun.

The Trek 69er | Singletrack Magazine Forum

I used to think Travis Brown was so cool. I remember wanting this bike and Brown's chops.

• Like 1

Wife did 12 miles today at SATN on the mullet. Fastest lap of slaughter creek, doing so on her second MTB ride in 6 mos. Her only comment was "it feels springy"🤣

She's small, without a lot of wattage so my theory is it spins up faster after she gets slowed by ledges rocks etc. Will require further testing. 

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, ATXZJ said:

Wife did 12 miles today at SATN on the mullet today. Fastest lap of slaughter creek, doing so on her second MTB ride in 6 mos. Her only comment was "it feels springy"🤣

She's small, without a lot of wattage so my theory is it spins up faster after she gets slowed by ledges rocks etc. Will require further testing. 

I guess springy is better than spongy.

• Like 1