IGNORED

Let's talk helmets

AustinBike

Ok, my helmet situation sucks these days and it is time to get a new one. Typically that process was go to a bunch of shops and try them on, find the comfortable one and then buy it. Yeah, in the age of COVID I am not heading into a bunch of shops, nor am I putting helmets on my head.

So it's amazon most likely, because they are the easiest ones with returns.

Which helmets do you like? What should I stay away from? More vents is great for the summer. Normally I cheap out and try to buy the least expensive but this may be a time to splurge on a nicer one with better features because of the situation.

17 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

I have not found a helmet that fits the shape of my head that's not a Giro, so I just buy Giro helmets. I've tried on some Kali and Bell helmets and I always have a headache after a few minutes because it smashes my head. so buy whatever you know fits your head the best.

This. I have really only had luck with Bells and have run about 10 of them. I too just run a bar light, I don't like extra weight on my head. And a headband is mandatory for my sweaty head most of the year, but I will wear a proper cycling cap when it is cold. I would like to get a new helmet too, but it is hard for fitting, even in normal times.

23 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

I have not found a helmet that fits the shape of my head that's not a Giro, so I just buy Giro helmets. I've tried on some Kali and Bell helmets and I always have a headache after a few minutes because it smashes my head. so buy whatever you know fits your head the best.

Giro for me as well, except for full face. I have the Kali Invader. It would be nice if they used actual hat sizes. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mack_turtle said:

I have not found a helmet that fits the shape of my head that's not a Giro, so I just buy Giro helmets. 

34 minutes ago, Txduc said:

I really like my POC Tectal Spin also have had great luck with Giro.  As others have said it really comes down to head shape.  I tried a Bell super but ended up giving it away as the pressure on my forehead was painful and led to headaches.

Wife and I had multiple bell helmets and they all worked fine for me. She however had issues with the way they fit and how it put pressure on her temples. I tried super 2 regular, MIPS and then super 3 MIPS, going as far as removing some of the padding and even that didn't help. She ended up buying the women's version of my Giro montaro MIPS and has been nothing but happy with it. I also have a switchblade that I use for park and higher consequence trails but it's heavy and hot AF so the montaro gets the most use. If it'll fit your head, I recommend the montaro. Last time i was there, peddler CP had some.

https://www.giro.com/p/montaro-mips-mountain-bike-helmet/100000000500000046.html

25 minutes ago, ATXZJ said:

Wife and I had multiple bell helmets and they all worked fine for me. She however had issues with the way they fit and how it put pressure on her temples. I tried super 2 regular, MIPS and then super 3 MIPS, going as far as removing some of the padding and even that didn't help. She ended up buying the women's version of my Giro montaro MIPS and has been nothing but happy with it. I also have a switchblade that I use for park and higher consequence trails but it's heavy and hot AF so the montaro gets the most use. If it'll fit your head, I recommend the montaro. Last time i was there, peddler CP had some.

https://www.giro.com/p/montaro-mips-mountain-bike-helmet/100000000500000046.html

I have a Montaro MIPS and like it. It doesn't have a ton of vents, but it is not too hot to wear in the summer. I fall into the same category of mack_turtle. I just buy Giros because every time I've tried something different, I'm disappointed. 

For me it comes down to the sizing options of the brand. Some do a S/M and a L/XL. I'm pretty firmly in the middle of those options. Giro does S, M, L (or some version of that), and the M fits me well. 

• Like 1

I've been using a TLD A1 Mips for over a year now, aside of how big it is (I have a huge head), no complaints about about comfort.  I had a Kali I liked before but will all the concussions I've had I decided to go Mips to protect what little brains I have left.

I have a lid that I keep rebuying because I like it. IXS   Fits great, And very important is ton-o-vents 

Ventilation is super important to me with summer weather being a tad warm around here.

These are also very adjustable with that doohickey on the very back and also the dial that tightens and loosens. 

24 minutes ago, Cafeend said:

These are also very adjustable with that doohickey on the very back and also the dial that tightens and loosens. 

Much like the boas on my shoes, I feel like my Bell Sixer has too much precision in its rear doohickey adjustability. I'd probably be happier if the variations were *obviously too tight,* *obviously too loose,* and *about right.* But the *about right* area is a range of 6 or more clicks, so I'm forever messing with it. 

35 minutes ago, Cafeend said:

I have a lid that I keep rebuying because I like it. IXS   Fits great, And very important is ton-o-vents 

Ventilation is super important to me with summer weather being a tad warm around here.

Always good to have a German option 😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Debo said:

I've been using a TLD A1 Mips for over a year now, aside of how big it is (I have a huge head), no complaints about about comfort.  I had a Kali I liked before but will all the concussions I've had I decided to go Mips to protect what little brains I have left.

Yeah, my reading is pushing me towards making sure I have MIPS as well.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Txduc said:

I really like my POC Tectal Spin also have had great luck with Giro.  As others have said it really comes down to head shape.  I tried a Bell super but ended up giving it away as the pressure on my forehead was painful and led to headaches.

This is what I was going to ask about.  This is my problem.  I'm forced to wear a much bigger helmet size than I need b/c of the head shape.  If I go by measurement, a regular L helmet (7 1/2 or so) would be enough.  But I end up having to find helmets that are 7 7/8 so I don't have the forehead pressure.  What is your head circumference and what size do you wear on both POC and Giro?

2 minutes ago, AustinBike said:

Yeah, my reading is pushing me towards making sure I have MIPS as well.

I was going to mention this, but forgot. At this point in what we know about head injuries, why not? There is very little to no cost, weight, or comfort difference. 

For anyone not familiar with MIPS, it allows the helmet's shell to move a little independently from the strappy doohickeys that have a deathgrip on your skull. It is designed to reduce the rotational forces that can jossel your brain around inside your head and cause concussions. It is not intended to absorb a straight on impact better than a standard helmet. 

No one has mentioned Specialized…which is the only brand I’ve found that works for my alien-like oval head. Anyone with an oval head should look in to them. Heard good stuff about Kali working for oval heads as well. Competitive Cyclist might carry Spesh helmets now if you’re looking online.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk