IGNORED

Let's talk helmets

AustinBike

1 hour ago, notyal said:

There is very little to no cost, weight, or comfort difference.

I agree with everything you said about MIPS except the cost thing. I finally bought a MIPS helmet recently and I'm glad I did, but there is usually a fairly significant price bump. Of course, you typically don't see MIPS on lower end helmets, so it's hard to say how much of the price is attributable to MIPS alone.

Probably not relevant to this conversation, but I recently got a Bell Super 3R. I needed a new full-face helmet to replace the one I bought when I only used it a few times a year (at most) and usually in cooler climates. Now that we have Spider Mountain, my old helmet just wasn't practical or comfortable due to it's weight and lack of ventilation. I had a decent trail helmet made by 7IDP, but it didn't have MIPS and it was a couple of years old. After doing some research, I decided to get the Bell Super 3R, which has a removable chin bar. I was a bit skeptical, but I really liked the idea of having one helmet that I could use for both trail and park riding. Thankfully, it fits well and the chin bar seems really secure and fairly easy to put on and take off. I like it better than my old trail helmet and it's WAY better than my old full-face. I managed to find last year's model, so I got a good deal on it too. Like I said, probably not relevant to AB and this conversation, but I thought this info could be useful if there are others that are considering a convertible helmet.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Teamsloan said:

No one has mentioned Specialized…which is the only brand I’ve found that works for my alien-like oval head. Anyone with an oval head should look in to them. Heard good stuff about Kali working for oval heads as well. Competitive Cyclist might carry Spesh helmets now if you’re looking online.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 2010 S-Works was perfect.  I've tried one other recently from the display that fit well, but the ones in the box (newer manuf. date) are now sized differently and you can definitely feel the difference.  Basically, IIRC I needed a 63cm and these were now sized 62cm.  My Bell Zephyr was a bit tight but it was the best compromise I could find at the time.

8 hours ago, mack_turtle said:

I have not found a helmet that fits the shape of my head that's not a Giro, so I just buy Giro helmets.

Ditto.  It's Giro for me and only Giro. Between r**d and mountain helmets, I think I'm on my 6th.   However, the MIPS mountainbike helmets sit just a fraction too low and the adjustment band digs into my ears, so it's non MIPS for mtn helmets, but the r**d MIPS is fine. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, olddbrider said:

I agree with everything you said about MIPS except the cost thing. I finally bought a MIPS helmet recently and I'm glad I did, but there is usually a fairly significant price bump. Of course, you typically don't see MIPS on lower end helmets, so it's hard to say how much of the price is attributable to MIPS alone.

Probably not relevant to this conversation, but I recently got a Bell Super 3R. I needed a new full-face helmet to replace the one I bought when I only used it a few times a year (at most) and usually in cooler climates. Now that we have Spider Mountain, my old helmet just wasn't practical or comfortable due to it's weight and lack of ventilation. I had a decent trail helmet made by 7IDP, but it didn't have MIPS and it was a couple of years old. After doing some research, I decided to get the Bell Super 3R, which has a removable chin bar. I was a bit skeptical, but I really liked the idea of having one helmet that I could use for both trail and park riding. Thankfully, it fits well and the chin bar seems really secure and fairly easy to put on and take off. I like it better than my old trail helmet and it's WAY better than my old full-face. I managed to find last year's model, so I got a good deal on it too. Like I said, probably not relevant to AB and this conversation, but I thought this info could be useful if there are others that are considering a convertible helmet.

Actually, I've looked at that one. I am not a Spider Mtn. guy but I will end up there eventually and some of the rides in Bentonville might be nice to have a chin guard even though I could get by without one.

The problem I have is that 95% of my riding would not need it and because of that the $75-100 price premium pushes it out of my range. I am in the $100-150 range right now, that class will cover 99% of my riding.

4 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

This is what I was going to ask about.  This is my problem.  I'm forced to wear a much bigger helmet size than I need b/c of the head shape.  If I go by measurement, a regular L helmet (7 1/2 or so) would be enough.  But I end up having to find helmets that are 7 7/8 so I don't have the forehead pressure.  What is your head circumference and what size do you wear on both POC and Giro?

I'm a 7 1/8 and the POC is a M/L 55-58 and the Giro is a M 55-59.  

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, AustinBike said:

Actually, I've looked at that one. I am not a Spider Mtn. guy but I will end up there eventually and some of the rides in Bentonville might be nice to have a chin guard even though I could get by without one.

The problem I have is that 95% of my riding would not need it and because of that the $75-100 price premium pushes it out of my range. I am in the $100-150 range right now, that class will cover 99% of my riding.

Had the super with the guard and liked the giro switchblade more. Both kinda suck for hot weather, even without the guard and you ultimately need another helmet for those days. 

Switchblade with guard= park/race

Switchblade w/o guard= getting stupid on black diamond trails.

Montaro= everything else

Been scouring through all of these comments and searching online all day yesterday because I have the time.

I think the Smith Venture is going to be the winner. At $110 its at a great price point for a MIPS helmet, its lightweight, has 20 vents, and gets decent reviews. Thanks everyone for your input.

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, AustinBike said:

Been scouring through all of these comments and searching online all day yesterday because I have the time.

I think the Smith Venture is going to be the winner. At $110 its at a great price point for a MIPS helmet, its lightweight, has 20 vents, and gets decent reviews. Thanks everyone for your input.

Looks good in the Matte Gravy and Matte Sage colors.

I’ve been wearing the Smith Venture for three months now and I really like it. Much cooler than my Troy Lee A1 I had before it and fits glasses much better as well (probably to be expected from a goggle/sunglasses company).

REI Gateway used to have a decent pile of Smith helmets. I had a credit and blew some bucks on a Forefront before a roadtrip last summer. Then after realized no vent openings for my light and got a Venture. Very similar fit, the forefront is a bit lighter and cooler, but probably not worth the extra cost in the long run.

I was a bell head 30 years, but the Super’s never did quite fit right. The Smith fits me much better and I can adjust the knob one handed while in motion riding.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Chongo Loco said:

REI Gateway used to have a decent pile of Smith helmets. I had a credit and blew some bucks on a Forefront before a roadtrip last summer. Then after realized no vent openings for my light and got a Venture. Very similar fit, the forefront is a bit lighter and cooler, but probably not worth the extra cost in the long run.

I was a bell head 30 years, but the Super’s never did quite fit right. The Smith fits me much better and I can adjust the knob one handed while in motion riding.

FYI, for anyone who has the Forefront, you can get a camera/light mount for $15 directly from Smith.  I have the mount for my older Forefront and it's pretty convenient.  https://www.smithoptics.com/en_US/helmets/HB16-BHCLMK.html

FYI, for anyone who has the Forefront, you can get a camera/light mount for $15 directly from Smith.  I have the mount for my older Forefront and it's pretty convenient.  https://www.smithoptics.com/en_US/helmets/HB16-BHCLMK.html

I saw those, but said it works with a GoPro or light & motion mount. Do you know it it works on Niterider mounts? Figured the non-response from Smith meant no.

1 hour ago, Chongo Loco said:

I saw those, but said it works with a GoPro or light & motion mount. Do you know it it works on Niterider mounts? Figured the non-response from Smith meant no.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't fit niterider, my last helmet came with go pro style mount and it was nice but not useful for me. I had to buy the niterider helmet mount for $14 

My helmet saved me best yet today..basically crown of head first into a tree trunk..put a decent dent on top of helmet but still seems like it would do its job.

I'm being told I should replace it and I know that's the standard from manufacturers but is it really not as effective anymore?

Sent from my SM-A115AZ using Tapatalk

I believe that is what all the manufacturers say. I would too if I made a living selling helmets.

In my mind the simple answer is "it depends." If the foam is broken in any way that is a 100% replacement event, period. If it is just dented, I think that would, for me, depend on the size of the dent and the age of the helmet. If it is more than a year old and the dent is large, I'd replace it. But if the dent is small and the helmet is relatively new, I'd probably let it ride. 

Post some pictures.

My general rule is this…if you think your helmet took an impact that saved you from either a debilitating head injury or death, then it is done. I don’t care what the helmet looks like. If your thought after the crash is “damn, I’d probably have a brain injury if it wasn’t for this piece of foam!” Then it probably has sacrificed itself for you in ways that might not be visible.

…or you could gamble and count on the same piece of foam to sacrifice itself again just as effectively the next time you go down.

• Like 3