IGNORED

Let's talk helmets

AustinBike

22 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

I was looking down at some tricky rocks in BCGB last night and bounced my helmet off a very solid tree. I was a bit dazed for a moment and my neck is just a bit sore from the jolt, but I'm OK. I emailed Giro about their "crash replacement" policy. I'm not expecting much, but they offer a discount for a new helmet if you crunch your old one. chance are, it's not much. However, I don't feel 100% certain this helmet is totaled. there's a small dent in the outer shell but I can't tell if the inside is compromised.

1726259467_ScreenShot2020-12-11at9_13_07AM.thumb.png.90dc9a71595ab93f470f2aa5a2823a01.png

After further complaining to Giro yesterday, they gave me a 30% off code. Better than nothing. Best of luck to you.

Edited by notyal

8 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

I'l bet 30% off does not cover the cost of shipping if I replace it with the same helmet. I'm better off just buying something that's on sale.

They are also apparently victims of the limited supply chain. They don't have my size in any color for the one that have or my next choice. I'd imagine that there isn't much out there on sale either. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, pjs32000 said:

Has anyone seen any Smith Mainline lids around town?  I'm in the market for a lightweight full face and this is the next one on my list to try.  I've already tried the Troy Lee Stage and didn't like how the liner covered and put pressure on the lower half of my ears.  I also tried the Leatt DBX 4.0 and while it seemed to fit comfortably, I was able to slide the helmet around too much on my head (not enough friction in the liner?), it just didn't stay put for me to be comfortable it wouldn't move in a crash.  Perhaps as a motorcyclist my expectations are too high for a full face, I'm used to a helmet not being able to move around much at all and if it does that means it's not the right fit.

Have you considered the Fox ProFrame? I've got one (Size L) that has been used once that can be had on the cheap. It comes with 3 different size snap-in chin cushions that assure a snug fit. Color is black-and-white. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, throet said:

Have you considered the Fox ProFrame? I've got one (Size L) that has been used once that can be had on the cheap. It comes with 3 different size snap-in chin cushions that assure a snug fit. Color is black-and-white. 

It was on my initial list, but I've seen several reports online of the chin bar on the ProFrame breaking off which caused me to rule it out.  I realize that this may be rare and that negative reports generally outweigh the positive when it comes to online reviews, but when it comes to my brain I tend to not take chances.  Thanks for your offer though.  A large likely wouldn't fit me regardless, I'm usually in a medium.

Edited by pjs32000
  • Like 1

Anyone have any experience with the Giro Fixture? It's one of their cheaper helmets, so I'm worried that I've spoiled myself better ones. I'm thinking about picking one up for super cheap with my crash replacement at least until the Great 2020 Bike Part Shortage is over. 

https://www.giro.com/p/fixture-mips-road-bike-helmet/100000002400000002.html

• 5 months later...
On 12/11/2020 at 9:14 AM, mack_turtle said:

I was looking down at some tricky rocks in BCGB last night and bounced my helmet off a very solid tree. I was a bit dazed for a moment and my neck is just a bit sore from the jolt, but I'm OK. 

I wonder if I hit that same tree yesterday?   My months old specialized Prevail (road) is now toast.   It has a pretty good dent, but the main damage is to the MIPS stuff.  It allowed the helmet to rotate saving my neck big time.  I've had a branch snag my helmet in the past, and ended up with a sore neck for weeks.  I'm 100% convinced MIPS saved me from some neck pain.  The hit felt cushiony.  That foam deformed and dit its job.  

I went to REI and tried on the Smith helmets, listed as size L and going up to 62cm.  I wasn't expecting a good fit, but I was completely pleasantly surprised.  The Prevail was intended to be my roadie helmet and I had meant to buy a trail helmet to get more rear covering, but I never did.   I thought about another Prevail, but I don't have any close-by Specialized dealer now so I just bought myself one of each at my local REI.  For those of you with large oval heads or a bump on the back of the head, try the Smith helmets.

Oh, I tried some of the Bontrager wave-cell helmets, they look and feel super-cheap, especially the way the straps lace through the helmet.

• Like 1

Oh man, that post did not age well! My neck and shoulder were really awful for a few months earlier this year. Could have been my age, working from home, that helmet bounce, or the other time I fell over while standing still and wrenched my shoulder. Six weeks of visits to the sorcerers aka Endeavor Physical Therapy and the tingling/ numbness in my left hand is finally gone! Stretching and suprisingly mild strength training go a long way to keep the body balanced and strong.

I was riding the "lower" Toys R Us area when that happened, BTW.

Edited by mack_turtle
  • Like 1

This topic is like tires...

The best answers are the ones that say what fits you best. For me Giro and TLD fit me best with no pressure points. I've tried POC and Bell and both gave me headaches in the store. Nice helmets, just don't work with my head shape. 

Also, I've destroyed plenty of helmets at 0.1mph on two wheels/skis. Speed isn't a relative factor in head injuries. Its only bad or worse. 

Smith helmets have worked well for me: fit, ventilation, weight...and now warranty.  Had a wreck last week and didn't even think I hit my head and only noticed a day later. hard to tell but inside of strap frame separated, too.

I submitted my crash replacement claim online and called a day later bc I hadn't heard back. I was told they typically offer 30% msrp from their site, but they ended up sending a $150 voucher to use on their site for a replacement helmet.  This Engage has a $110 msrp, though was on sale.  Cost me about $11 for shipping and tax.

Not bad.

IMG_5312-sm.JPG

IMG_5313-sm.JPG

• Like 2

Yes, I now have had a chance to use my Smith MTB (session) and road (persist) helmets.  The MTB feels very heavy and for endurance racing I may wear the road helmet or buy something else.  The road helmet impressed me with the ventilation. I rode in 88°F sunny and super humid conditions up and down a hill.

35 minutes ago, ssorgs said:

Smith helmets have worked well for me: fit, ventilation, weight...and now warranty.  Had a wreck last week and didn't even think I hit my head and only noticed a day later. hard to tell but inside of strap frame separated, too.

I submitted my crash replacement claim online and called a day later bc I hadn't heard back. I was told they typically offer 30% msrp from their site, but they ended up sending a $150 voucher to use on their site for a replacement helmet.  This Engage has a $110 msrp, though was on sale.  Cost me about $11 for shipping and tax.

Not bad.

IMG_5312-sm.JPG

IMG_5313-sm.JPG

As someone considering a Smith lid that's encouraging.  What was the reason for them making an exception and giving you a larger credit?  Because they didn't respond timely?

2 minutes ago, pjs32000 said:

As someone considering a Smith lid that's encouraging.  What was the reason for them making an exception and giving you a larger credit?  Because they didn't respond timely?

None given, but no ask.  I may have been a little sensitive to the timing, but it is my only helmet and didn't want too many rides on the busted one...

If I had to guess, the fact that it separated and that the helmet's only two months old could have been factors.  If was older and/or 'just' a divot or something, seems more likely the 30% route.

Will say I do really like the helmet. Has an adjustable visor, which allows me to keep it in middle position for most trail rides so I have better visibility and am less likely to smack my bucket (esp at night).  Then I can lower when on road during full sun beatdown.  I often removed the visor on my previous Smith Venture because even occasional smacks sucked...

Been using smith helmets for a while now and have no complaints or issues with them. I have only replaced them with newer ones every couple of years. I tried a few tld helmets but found the quality to be lacking although the fit and feel felt good. So for now I will continue to stick with smith helmets and be content.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

20 minutes ago, ssorgs said:

None given, but no ask.  I may have been a little sensitive to the timing, but it is my only helmet and didn't want too many rides on the busted one...

If I had to guess, the fact that it separated and that the helmet's only two months old could have been factors.  If was older and/or 'just' a divot or something, seems more likely the 30% route.

Will say I do really like the helmet. Has an adjustable visor, which allows me to keep it in middle position for most trail rides so I have better visibility and am less likely to smack my bucket (esp at night).  Then I can lower when on road during full sun beatdown.  I often removed the visor on my previous Smith Venture because even occasional smacks sucked...

Thanks for additional info.  I was eyeing the Smith Mainline lightweight full face.  I've tried on a few in this category and just haven't found the right fit yet.  The Mainline features aren't my perfect unicorn, but if it fits well that's probably the one I'll get.  The TLD Stage also seemed nice but has annoying pads that cover half of the ear and that pressure on a long ride would quickly turn to pain for me.

3 hours ago, pjs32000 said:

I've never looked at Smith before but it's good to hear something positive.  I've really been happy with my Kali because of the rail on the top used to mount my light.  Seems like a simple feature but I'm on my second Kali for that feature alone.

9 minutes ago, Tree Magnet said:

I've never looked at Smith before but it's good to hear something positive.  I've really been happy with my Kali because of the rail on the top used to mount my light.  Seems like a simple feature but I'm on my second Kali for that feature alone.

I'll add that Smith has a solid reputation in skiing helmets and to my untrained eye cycling and skiing helmets seem fairly similar.

I'll add that Smith has a solid reputation in skiing helmets and to my untrained eye cycling and skiing helmets seem fairly similar.

The biggest potential difference (not a skier) is that I really need my helmet to breathe. I ride all year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, Tree Magnet said:

The biggest potential difference (not a skier) is that I really need my helmet to breathe. I ride all year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's about my top priority and Smith does very well with that, except for the Koroyd ones. The Engage I'm using now has a little more coverage and the internal channels may be a little smaller, but it's on par with the Venture.