IGNORED

Tyler State Park

hurronnicane

While it may not qualify as a destination based on the amount of riding, Tyler State Park is a great place to camp, ride, and kayak if you have reason to be near here.  Roughly five hours from Austin, it is a world apart.   My wife’s family lives nearby and I have escaped into the woods to ride for the last 20+ years.  The trail system has more vertical relief than you might expect, the trail surface is mostly sand or gravel, and the primary challenges are roots and trees (real trees with some girth).  It dries very quickly after rains and seems popular with Dallas-area riders on weekends.

59E11033-E906-40DF-A6CF-0647E27F574F.jpeg

6C04E612-545D-4A89-9576-57C3999A66CA.jpeg

41EAC98B-247F-4F22-ABE5-E553E57CC1B2.jpeg

680F11BB-EBAD-49DA-823A-C82D53A2AD39.jpeg

339FEC2B-2A7A-4B3D-BA69-DEB72C37BFD1.jpeg

• Like 5

• 5 months later...

Just back from two nights there so I'll add my input to this "resource" thread.

It's a nice park. There isn't a lot of trail, but what there is was fun. Anyone reading this would do all of it in one ride like my ride:

https://www.strava.com/activities/4969268839 I repeated a little because I missed a turn.

The system consists of five loops that can be ridden without repeating. The easiest, meaning the least amount of climbing because none of it is technical (even the "most difficult" C loop), are the EZ loop and loop A. Somehow these felt all downhill. The climbs are switch backed in such a way that I just never felt like I was on a grindy climb.

We did not kayak on the smallish lake because it was too cold and windy the day we had planned to. It would have taken about an hour to paddle the entire shoreline I think. But a super lovely setting to do so. Very pretty and pristine.

We drove 25 minutes on the way out of town to Lindsey Park. We didn't do all of it because one of the two of us got tired of the climbing involved pretty quickly (ahem...clears throat). But if you are in the area make time to ride here. It was definitely made by mountain bikers. Several wooden features and lots of flowing trails with berms and little jumps. I was disappointed to not be able to do all of it. There is a very nice disc golf course in that park too.

1 hour ago, The Tip said:

Just back from two nights there so I'll add my input to this "resource" thread.

It's a nice park. There isn't a lot of trail, but what there is was fun. Anyone reading this would do all of it in one ride like my ride:

https://www.strava.com/activities/4969268839 I repeated a little because I missed a turn.

The system consists of five loops that can be ridden without repeating. The easiest, meaning the least amount of climbing because none of it is technical (even the "most difficult" C loop), are the EZ loop and loop A. Somehow these felt all downhill. The climbs are switch backed in such a way that I just never felt like I was on a grindy climb.

We did not kayak on the smallish lake because it was too cold and windy the day we had planned to. It would have taken about an hour to paddle the entire shoreline I think. But a super lovely setting to do so. Very pretty and pristine.

We drove 25 minutes on the way out of town to Lindsey Park. We didn't do all of it because one of the two of us got tired of the climbing involved pretty quickly (ahem...clears throat). But if you are in the area make time to ride here. It was definitely made by mountain bikers. Several wooden features and lots of flowing trails with berms and little jumps. I was disappointed to not be able to do all of it. There is a very nice disc golf course in that park too.

I think that I remember lots of sand at Lindsey.  Faulkner was shorter, but in my opinion was more entertaining.

19 minutes ago, St.Bernardo said:

I think that I remember lots of sand at Lindsey.  Faulkner was shorter, but in my opinion was more entertaining.

The park had just reopened that morning after the rains from a couple of days before so we didn't notice that issue. But all those East Texas trails can have that problem I think. I remember riding at Huntsville SP in October right after a rain and thinking how lucky we were because, "this could be bad if it's dry."