IGNORED

New BCP Public Access Land Management Plan Released

cxagent

It passed. 

The Austin mountain biking community owes Kent big time. The fact that he'll go out (frequently) and dig and trim, and coordinate so that others will productively do so also, pales in comparison to his efforts in the legal wranglings that preserve access to trail, and gains access to new trails.

Yesterday was a very good thing and it happened largely because of Kent. Maybe a great way to pay him back would be to listen to his gentle admonishments when he is saying to stay out of a certain area, or how to take care of trails, or to show up for a meeting when a supportive crowd is needed. Or something as simple, and fun as, showing up for a trail work day when  a call goes out! 

• Like 7

• 2 years later...

At first I was going to say that a fence may not be necessary.  IMHO BCP acquisition doesn't necessarily mean fences, usually its endangered species habitat that does that.  However, upon closer inspection of the exact location of this property, combined with intimate knowledge of fun it is to play with toys that roll down down stairs on their own inertia....I'd say yes.  A fence is in your future.

All of this is simply conjecture on my part based on about 22 yrs of hanging around Austin, the MTB community and attending stakeholder meetings.  I'm no expert.

Later,
CJB

26 minutes ago, circuitbreaker said:

Saw this announcement regarding Carol Lee Preserve in my neighborhood paper. Hopefully, this doesn't mean a fence is in the future. 

https://www.hillcountrydevelopment.org/carolleepreserve

This is the kiss of death - say goodbye to access to your preserve. I wonder if this is what Carol Lee would have wanted. I also wonder what the process is to approve things like this, and who is involved. Were any of you ever asked?

That is quite different than what the City required for permitting of the construction of the Assisted Living facility currently under construction at that location. The original agreement was for the developer to record a conservation easement on the land and allow the trails to remain for continued current use. What is described in that article sounds identical to how Bright Leaf Park is managed.

There goes some prime riding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, circuitbreaker said:

Saw this announcement regarding Carol Lee Preserve in my neighborhood paper. Hopefully, this doesn't mean a fence is in the future. 

https://www.hillcountrydevelopment.org/carolleepreserve

Article says, Not a public park.  Will be able to get guided hikes and have volunteer opportunities.  damn

How much longer can it be ridden?

25 minutes ago, St.Bernardo said:

Article says, Not a public park.  Will be able to get guided hikes and have volunteer opportunities.  damn

How much longer can it be ridden?

Based on my historical experience.....until the officials writing tickets come in or the fences go up.  

-CJB

I would guess the goal would be to have the preserve fencing in place by the time the facility opens late summer. That article stated that Nico Hauwert with the City of Austin is the contact for questions, so maybe he has an answer to that question.

I went and rode the trails there this afternoon and didn't see any survey staking or flagging that would indicate the actual fencing work has started.

Why can’t we (meaning the city) just all agree that certain areas should be preserved as undeveloped land, and left open to the public as wild space? It doesn’t even have to be publicized as public land. It just stays known as “that empty hillside I drive by on 360” by most people. Certify it as wilderness or something. If I was one their “neighbors” I would be feeling like I’m loosing a huge section of my backyard even if I wasn’t a biker. What a waste.

Guided tours…like we’re 4 year olds.

When these become "easements" or "Preserves" its really just to add to the city/ county story of how much is under control for their FW permit.  Ive seen areas go 20 years left alone and then someone starts doing too much in that space and up comes the fence.  Its part of their agreement that once its titled that it has to remain unused (unless guided).

On 3/12/2021 at 11:47 AM, Taco Man said:

When these become "easements" or "Preserves" its really just to add to the city/ county story of how much is under control for their FW permit.  Ive seen areas go 20 years left alone and then someone starts doing too much in that space and up comes the fence.  Its part of their agreement that once its titled that it has to remain unused (unless guided).

i dont think that is true. Do you have a reference? They can choose to fence it off and they do, but if recreation was proven to not harm birds then it would be fine.

i dont think that is true. Do you have a reference? They can choose to fence it off and they do, but if recreation was proven to not harm birds then it would be fine.

Based on the article linked above this area will become another Bright Leaf Preserve and remain under the control of the City. Google Bright Leaf for more info.

I've not been able to find anything indicating that BCCP will be involved (i.e. FW Permit). But all that means is that the land will not serve for land development credits, which is what the BCP land banking program is essentially about.

On 3/15/2021 at 8:27 AM, zrx24 said:

Based on the article linked above this area will become another Bright Leaf Preserve and remain under the control of the City. Google Bright Leaf for more info.

I've not been able to find anything indicating that BCCP will be involved (i.e. FW Permit). But all that means is that the land will not serve for land development credits, which is what the BCP land banking program is essentially about.

My point is that they dont have to fence it off, they choose to under the guise of having to.

On 3/15/2021 at 8:10 AM, crazyt said:

In my neighborhood some land is Hard BCP and some is "soft" under easement.

The Hard BCP was unfenced for 15+ years, had original Ranch Jeep Roads and some trail.  Some Moto guys found it and were running the jeep roads up and down.  Soon came the Rangers and then the 12' Wildlife Fence.  The part that is soft has a man gate you can walk through, the part that is Hard has a locked gate.  I promise you if they find the wrong activity in the soft parts they can easily put a chain around those man gates.

Another area is under private ownership, would have never known except they came in and put up 6' fencing and BCP conservation signs one day.  I doubt anybody was even in that area so the owner was likely told to do it as part of the conservation easement.

I remember years ago when DK ranch was bought by the bcccp.  They put up the fence right in the middle of that bird's nesting season all the while clearing a large corridor through the trees.  At the time I was able to find the email addresses for all of the city council people.  I sent an email to all of them explaining the hypocrisy of the actions of the bcccp.  The fence building stopped shortly after that, but eventually resumed.  

36 minutes ago, xl_cheese said:

I remember years ago when DK ranch was bought by the bcccp.  They put up the fence right in the middle of that bird's nesting season all the while clearing a large corridor through the trees.  At the time I was able to find the email addresses for all of the city council people.  I sent an email to all of them explaining the hypocrisy of the actions of the bcccp.  The fence building stopped shortly after that, but eventually resumed.  

Anyone that thinks this stuff happens for the birds are deluded or they've been hoodwinked.  It's all NIMBY and $$$$$$ just look at the clear-cut tracks to build stuff off 620.  

Yep it was a land grab on both ends. The city let developers overbuild and violate the impervious cover Regs by donating land of offsetting footage to BCCP. The city and the developers profited because the city got more tax base for property taxes FOREVER and developers got bigger profits in the short term.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 3

"Yep it was a land grab on both ends. The city let developers overbuild and violate the impervious cover Regs by donating land of offsetting footage to BCCP. The city and the developers profited because the city got more tax base for property taxes FOREVER and developers got bigger profits in the short term."

Being a land developer that works with the City, I can tell you that you are incorrect with your assessment.

Edited by zrx24

3 minutes ago, Chongo Loco said:

As a person who did work for land developers in the late 90’s and early 00’s that purchased impervious cover offsets, I saw it happen. They may not currently be allowing this, but 20 years ago it definitely occurred.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, things have most definitely changed since then.  In fact, those changes started taking place around the 90s.

Whole different situation today.  Damn near impossible to develop anything in Austin now given all the flaming hoops that have to be jumped through.

• Like 2