IGNORED

WTF is the deal with cycling shorts

I’ve been riding for a while. 10+ years. When did a pair of bike shorts that have the same tech as years ago start costing $60, $80, $100 - without a liner. It’s a huge racket. I have a dividend at REI and i cant find even a house brand pair of shorts, with a liner, for less than $100. WTF!?! For jerseys i have gone to cheap fitness style jerseys that have all the same properties as cycling jerseys. As soon as cycling is part of the name, the price goes through the roof. How do we change this? What shorts do you use? Where are the deals?

• Like 1

I have a few liner chamiois shorts and a few pair of boots shorts I wear over them. Liners a cheap and thrift store board shorts are less than $10 each. I bought some fancy MTB shorts just once. Meh.

On shorter rides, I just wear my regular everyday boxer-briefs (no cotton!).

Edited by mack_turtle
  • Like 1

If you put a lot of miles in, then spending money on bibs/shorts with chamois/padded liners is worth it. No need to go top of the line, but decent.

For baggies...hybrid board shorts from Kohl’s, Target, Walmart, or Academy. Hybrid board shorts are like swim trunks that are built like regular shorts with zipper fly, belt loops, and normal pockets. I have a pair of Zoic Ether shorts and they are only slightly better than my $20 hybrid shorts. I keep telling myself that mtb baggies have better fabrics that have stretch yet are durable and they’re better fitted while hunched over a bicycle. But at the end of the day those advantages (if they are recognizable) are not worth the $60 markup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Cafeend said:

Buy off season. Shorts in the winter are way cheaper.
My shorts last me for years.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

yes. i still have a pair of the old rei house brand novaro that are still good. i think i paid like $50 for those at the time. and they have a removable liner. just want that same quality and price and cant seem to find it anymore. gonna chance a pair from amazon (urban cycling) to see how good they are. if the shell is good i can always get liners seperately.

• Like 2

I'm the opposite of everyone here.

I stated with the 2-piece (shorts and liner) and eventually figured out that when it is hot, just using spandex shorts was way cooler. I don't need to look cool, like a Mountain Dew shredding gnar biker boi commercial, I need to FEEL cool. So I was just using those in the hot weather. When it got too cold I switched to the 2-piece shorts. Then I realized that it never got cold enough and that just using the same short all year round was fine. Even in the 30's I was just using the spandex shorts with knee warmers. Plus they never get caught up on the seat nose. Yeah, I don't look as cool as you but I am a 55-year old bald man so that ship sailed a long time ago.

For years I wore Pearl Izumi shorts until they switched and their chamois was downgraded. Recently I switched to Louis Garneau and for $50 these are great:

https://www.amazon.com/Sleep-Pattern-Leather-Capacitance-iPhone/dp/B00NMK9A38/ref=sr_1_6?crid=15XESLKZW95AV&dchild=1&keywords=louis%2Bgarneau%2Bmens%2Bcycling%2Bshorts&qid=1602152725&sprefix=Louis%2Bgarn%2Caps%2C175&sr=8-6&th=1&psc=1

It's really funny to see all of you obsessing on the outside of the short (how they look) and shortchanging the liner (how they feel). After doing the EB 4 times I can tell you that a good chamois makes all the difference. I have a couple pair of $25 shorts that I will use for short rides, but if I am riding more than 2 hours, or on a hot sweaty day, keeping the undercarriage dry and comfortable is crucial.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Cafeend said:

Buy off season. Shorts in the winter are way cheaper.
My shorts last me for years.

Same here. Several years ago I was finding a bunch of the Fox shorts (2-pc with liner) on sale for around 40 bucks per pair and I bought about half-a-dozen pairs. I've been using the same shorts ever since. The chamois liners do wear out though and so I've been buying replacement liners as needed here with no complaints. Got this link from somebody here who posted it on the forum.  

https://www.lightinthebox.com/c/cycling-clothing_5289?prm=1.4.54.0

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Teamsloan said:

I keep telling myself that mtb baggies have better fabrics that have stretch yet are durable and they’re better fitted while hunched over a bicycle. But at the end of the day those advantages (if they are recognizable) are not worth the $60 markup.

Definitely agree but I will say that if I could keep buying this same Giro Havoc short at $40 I would. They fit perfect, they look great, they are comfortable with a little stretch, and the pockets are perfect for carrying my phone without any movement. Sometimes you just take your chances when you see an incredible sale price online, and it works out well. 

image.thumb.png.cd3eca15beed27541b0e39f8330cb86e.png

It's really funny to see all of you obsessing on the outside of the short (how they look) and shortchanging the liner (how they feel). After doing the EB 4 times I can tell you that a good chamois makes all the difference.

Exactly. I have 3 sets of Pearl Izumi Pro Bibs that I’ve had for 10 years. I did 2.5 EB’s with them back when they were new. They were not cheap bibs. They are starting to show their age now, but they’re still working fine. One of the reasons they’re still holding together is due to me wearing baggies over them. Lycra doesn’t hold up to chunky limestone and juniper branches nearly as well as board short material. I also have also started leaving the camelbak behind on shorter rides. Having the pockets helps carry the phone, keys, and CO2 inflator head. You could say that that’s what jersey pockets are for…but I don’t want to look like a dork wearing an XC/roadie jersey with baggies. Oh well, I guess vanity wins in the end. [emoji6]

Anyone have recommendations for inexpensive knickers? Looking for something that I can wear over cycling shorts that comes down to my calf but not quite to the ankle for when it's kinda cold. Most of the cycling specific ones are pricey and the rest are ladies "yoga pants." 

Forget knickers, get knee warmers. They’re easier to shed once you inevitability get too hot. I have PEarl Izumi knee warmers and arm warmers and those with a base layer under the jersey and maybe a vest are perfect for most of the cold conditions we experience around here.

I wear cheap academy shorts over mine and the cycling shorts have lasted. I tried some canondale ones and they chafed badly. Switched to pear izumi and they were good for 2 ebs.  I wore a set without shorts when I started and the $100 cycling shorts tore the first ride when I crashed.  I have gone through at least 6 of the inexpensive covering shorts.  I had a hard plastic saddle with a bit of a pointy nose that would catch on the shorts. I tore 3 pairs of shorts before I retired it.

The cycling shorts are expensive, but they do last.

• Like 1

On 10/8/2020 at 7:24 AM, Teamsloan said:

Forget knickers, get knee warmers. They’re easier to shed once you inevitability get too hot. I have PEarl Izumi knee warmers and arm warmers and those with a base layer under the jersey and maybe a vest are perfect for most of the cold conditions we experience around here.

I have tried a few of those. none of them are "knee" warmers after a minute or two of pedaling. I've tried wearing them every conceivable way and they all side down and become ankle warmers. they simply do not do what they are supposed to do.

Edited by mack_turtle

35 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

I have tried a few of those. none of them are "knee" warmers after a minute or two of pedaling. I've tried wearing them every conceivable way and they all side down and become ankle warmers. they simply do not do what they are supposed to do.

Makes a big difference which short you pair it with.  The knee warmer and the short must have good grippers on them otherwise as you found out the warmers will slide down.  I roll the shorts up, slide the warmer up to my quad, then unroll the shorts over them.  When I pair them with shorts with no grippers I have to use a safety pin.

In the offseason I ordered long bibs from planet X.  Even with the shipping charges it's well worth it.   I bought OnOne merino beanie (very thin but effective) socks, arm warmers and the previous time two sets of long bibs.  They are lined.  You are nice and warm for a cold wet ride.  You can't beat the prices.

Warning:  you can waste a lot of time looking at stuff on this site:

https://www.planetx.co.uk/c/q/clothing/clothes/legwear/bib-tights--knickers

I mean, titanium chopsticks! 

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CPJOBTHC/jobsworth-titanium-hollow-chopsticks

Edited by AntonioGG
added time suck warning
  • Like 1

What Antonio said. I always put my knee warmers on first, hiking them up at least 4” above the where the shorts leg opening is. Then I make sure the lower opening of the leg warmer isn’t pulled down too far creating tension. Having good grippers on the inside of your shorts helps a lot.

I’ve tried tights over my shorts before and I hated them. Maybe it was a sizing issue but they felt like they limited my movement, too tight, and yet bunching in places. Then I got too hot and I couldn’t just pull them off easily.

To each their own.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, brokenrazor said:

I’ve been riding for a while. 10+ years. When did a pair of bike shorts that have the same tech as years ago start costing $60, $80, $100 - without a liner. It’s a huge racket. I have a dividend at REI and i cant find even a house brand pair of shorts, with a liner, for less than $100. WTF!?! For jerseys i have gone to cheap fitness style jerseys that have all the same properties as cycling jerseys. As soon as cycling is part of the name, the price goes through the roof. How do we change this? What shorts do you use? Where are the deals?

For the chamois get these:  https://www.amazon.com/Przewalski-Cycling-Underwear-Bicycle-Verified/dp/B07HRMZ975/ref=sr_1_4_sspa?crid=2SYN55HDOVI3A&dchild=1&keywords=przewalski%2Bmtb%2Bshorts&qid=1602165315&sprefix=przewalski%2Bmtb%2Cfashion%2C213&sr=8-4-spons&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFIM0gwVktGQUpNV0cmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTAyMzcyNjAyWlcyUEw2NTRaMjBEJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA1MDc0NDYxUlE2MURWNlZHS0JQJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1&psc=1

For the shorts, get these:  https://www.amazon.com/ARSUXEO-Outdoor-Sports-Cycling-Breathable/dp/B0716D347Y/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1EIUYGY3HI3H6&dchild=1&keywords=arsuxeo+mtb+shorts&qid=1602165514&sprefix=arsuxeo%2Caps%2C216&sr=8-3

The chamois that comes with the shorts is garbage, but give it a shot first if you want.  The chamois above is decent and inexpensive.  I've spent an hour straight in the saddle in CO w/ no issue.  The shorts aren't the best (zippers are cheap), but they get the job done.

• Like 2

It helps to wear non-matching patterns.
I looked like a fucking clown the other day. I get older and looked like a 85 yr old walking through home depot with black socks pulled half way up my calves and a plaid shirt. I used to be cool

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, Cafeend said:

I looked like a fucking clown the other day. I get older and looked like a 85 yr old walking through home depot with black socks pulled half way up my calves and a plaid shirt. I used to be cool

As long as they're Swiftwicks black socks are cool.

• Like 3