IGNORED

WTF is the deal with cycling shorts

As I alluded to before, sometimes you can find some steals on Amazon if you are willing to not care about colors or patterns (also helps if you wear a less common size I suppose). These arrived with a $80 price tag on them. I bought 2 pairs. Probably should have gotten more, but they are pretty damn ugly. 

image.thumb.png.adbe6055e80e482e2d55cd431fa946f9.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, notyal said:

As I alluded to before, sometimes you can find some steals on Amazon if you are willing to not care about colors or patterns (also helps if you wear a less common size I suppose). These arrived with a $80 price tag on them. I bought 2 pairs. Probably should have gotten more, but they are pretty damn ugly. 

image.thumb.png.adbe6055e80e482e2d55cd431fa946f9.png

Weekend at Bernie’s

9 hours ago, Cafeend said:

I looked like a fucking clown the other day. I get older and looked like a 85 yr old walking through home depot with black socks pulled half way up my calves and a plaid shirt. I used to be cool

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

This is the beauty of never being cool. Never had to live through the downfall. 

16 hours ago, Kobra Kai MTB Guy said:

just ordered these with the liner you posted. 

Urban Cycling Apparel Men's Gravel Grinder Bike Shirts - Flex Soft Shell with Zip Pockets and Vents https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TXL2WC2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_V4.FFbMSQ3QHE

someone else posted a sale on fox shorts for the same price after i ordered. gonna stay with the ones i ordered and see how good they are for comparison.

• Like 1

I've been using some "underwear" shorts from amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/Baleaf-Padded-Bicycle-Cycling-Underwear/dp/B00MTE6OTQ/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=3O82KD9U1OFA4&dchild=1&keywords=baleaf+cycling+shorts+men&qid=1602270065&sprefix=baleaf+cyc%2Caps%2C175&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExSEY4UUpFREU5Q09IJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMDQ1OTQ5MVNIMFlPMktEQjJIRSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMzc0OTA4RVJURTNLMlhVU0FTJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Just as comfortable as any padding in 2-piece type shorts I've bought, and I wear whatever shorts I want over them. If hot enough, I'd even wear them solo. Only thing that makes them "underwear" is that they're quite short. Otherwise not much different than any other bike short.

Edited by jcarneytx

• 2 weeks later...

Costco carries a brand; Gerry. They are tough, stretchy(but not too stretchy) and fairly light ~15-20 bux. I wear regular chamois with a respectable amount of padding under. I like my junk contained and some cush fer ma taint.

Another option is to visit North Face and Columbia outlets clearance rack in the winter. Climbing apparel is very similar to riding...

I am wearing chamois less & less these days.  Rarely wear for rides less than 1-1/2 hr.  Wondering if I really need them at all.....

My favorite pair of chamois are like 15 YO first edition Rapha road bids.  Chamois is very thin.  I thinking of ditching them all together on my next long ride to see how it goes.  Most mountain bike chamois are WAY TOO thick.....

Anyone else going sans chamois?  What is this called? 

12 minutes ago, Shanerpvt said:

I am wearing chamois less & less these days.  Rarely wear for rides less than 1-1/2 hr.  Wondering if I really need them at all.....

My favorite pair of chamois are like 15 YO first edition Rapha road bids.  Chamois is very thin.  I thinking of ditching them all together on my next long ride to see how it goes.  Most mountain bike chamois are WAY TOO thick.....

Anyone else going sans chamois?  What is this called? 

I’m with you as far as going thinner but I cannot go without anything.  

My favorite shorts were from something like 1993 bike Nashbar with the thinnest chamois (it wasn’t actually chamois but it looked a lot like it).  I agree with you that most modern ones are way too thick.  In fact I’m beginning to think a lot of problems are from basically riding on a wet sponge in hot and humid weather.  It occurred to me when after an extended off the saddle climb I sat back down and felt all the sweat squish out.  That was why I also wanted to invent the crack sweat gutter to keep all back sweat from ending down there.

if anyone knows of some thin chamois bibs I’d like to buy some.

I thought I was the only one.
I rarely wear one. Maybe in the winter when Temps drop below 35ish.
When I buy shorts I cut them out.
They are uncomfortable, they are like Antonio said.. riding on a sponge. I am hot enough in the summer I dont need to look for ways to get hotter.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I typically go without when I’m on a short ride with my boys. But those are very casual paced and not all that long, maybe 10miles. If I am going on a longer, hotter, sweatier ride then I need a chamois. If I don’t then I will say paying top dollar for a pair of quality baggies is worth it due to the quality of the fabric and where the seams are located (hello, gusseted inseam).

A quality chamois should not feel like I’m wearing Depends. It should wick away sweat, not soak it up like it’s trying to prevent embarrassing leaks in my pleated dockers. My PI 3D chamois are perfect at this. I’ve never felt them squish out a ton of sweat when sitting back on the saddle and the only chafing I’ve had was on a much longer ride than I was used to and I didn’t apply chamois cream. Other than that, they disappear under my taint when in the saddle unless I’ve applied the Eurostyle butter and that which hazel gives me that cool breezy feelin’...which is nice on a hot ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't wear a chamois when I am running errands on my bike or heading to have dinner with my wife when we are riding our bikes there. But if I expect to spend more than 20 minutes in the saddle I put on bike shorts. A few saddle sores over the years taught me to respect the shorts. To me the key is being able to ride every. single. day. And that means taking care of my body.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, AustinBike said:

I don't wear a chamois when I am running errands on my bike or heading to have dinner with my wife when we are riding our bikes there. But if I expect to spend more than 20 minutes in the saddle I put on bike shorts. A few saddle sores over the years taught me to respect the shorts. To me the key is being able to ride every. single. day. And that means taking care of my body.

I hear ya.  I feel that way on the road, especially on LONG rides.  The best I can do is MAYBE 5 days a week.....mostly 4, sometimes 3.

I think I am just off the saddle more, moving around, ect. on the mt. Bike.

I would like to find another pair relatively well priced bibs.  I will probably look to the road world for them.  May give another shot at the base model Rapha again.

I don’t think I am going to worry about chamois unless it is over 2 hr and see how it goes........