IGNORED

WTF is the deal with cycling shorts

On 10/7/2020 at 7:37 PM, brokenrazor said:

I’ve been riding for a while. 10+ years. When did a pair of bike shorts that have the same tech as years ago start costing $60, $80, $100 - without a liner. It’s a huge racket. I have a dividend at REI and i cant find even a house brand pair of shorts, with a liner, for less than $100. WTF!?! For jerseys i have gone to cheap fitness style jerseys that have all the same properties as cycling jerseys. As soon as cycling is part of the name, the price goes through the roof. How do we change this? What shorts do you use? Where are the deals?

welcome to aliexpress.com my friend. it will take about 3-4 weeks to get your stuff, but the money savings are phenomenal. im really hard on clothes and bikes alike. while I love nice name brand stuff, I will intentionally go cheap on stuff I know is going to get destroyed. and they also have some very impressive (you really cant tell the difference mostly) name-brand knockoffs (TLD, etc) shorts for like $17-$25 (vs $60-$130)

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20201026044405&SearchText=mountain+biking+shorts

hope that helps you bro

Screen Shot 2020-10-26 at 7.44.21 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-26 at 7.48.06 AM.png

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Teamsloan said:

I forgot if these were mentioned already in this thread, but I might order some to try out. Might just be the perfect solution.

https://www.bn3th.com/products/north-shore-bike-chamois-black

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think my testosterone level just dropped 100 points after looking through that site (hoping to find bibs)....

-CJB

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, ATXZJ said:

"patented MyPakage Pouch Technology™"

is there a KOM banana hammock edition also available?

I cant talk too much shit. I use the triathlon briefs complete with pink chamois under my baggies in the summer. 

Hey, Travis Engle from Bike Mag highly praised them. So that's saying something in my book.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Teamsloan said:

Hey, Travis Engle from Bike Mag highly praised them. So that's saying something in my book.

Formerly of Bike Magazine (rip)

marketing hypetrain is off the rails on those but they look like something id be open to try when they go on sale.

Edited by ATXZJ

real talk: if I ride more than 15 miles two days in a row, it literally chaps my ass. at the end of some long rides, I don't want to sit down. my ass ends up with a nice red abrasion on both sides. My shorts are kept clean and I use chamois creme. maybe I am not using enough of that stuff on my skin, I need a thicker formula, or a need some shorts that fit differently. what else could I be missing?

Edited by mack_turtle

6 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

real talk: if I ride more than 15 miles two days in a row, it literally chaps my ass. at the end of some long rides, I don't want to sit down. my ass ends up with a nice red abrasion on both sides. My shorts are kept clean and I use chamois creme. maybe I am not using enough of that stuff on my skin, I need a thicker formula, or a need some shorts that fit differently. what else could I be missing?

Diaper rash cream is great for treatment, but I think you are asking about prevention. 

27 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

https://endurostuff.com

Some people swear by bag balm too.

Are warmer conditions worse for you?  It does seem like not many miles to be having a problem, but maybe you've been irritated for a while and it hasn't properly healed.

I used to never wear it, even in 24hr solo races.  Then we had a super humid race.  It was bad.  After that race I had to use Boudreaux off the bike, and Okole stuff even for short rides.  Eventually things got back to normal.

4 hours ago, mack_turtle said:

I had this issue and then I rode more and don’t have it anymore. I know it is asinine to tell someone to just man up and ride more, but that is what fixed it for me. I used to use chamois butter on every ride, now I hardly use it. Try some bag balm and see if that helps. I used that for longer rides and it did the trick. 

https://bagbalm.com/blogs/blog/cyclists-and-mountain-bikers-carry-bag-balm

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AustinBike said:

I had this issue and then I rode more and don’t have it anymore. I know it is asinine to tell someone to just man up and ride more, but that is what fixed it for me.

that makes sense, or at least it does coming from you. everyone's skin is different. I used to get calluses from running and those eventually stopped too. my ass will harden up.

Hey! James from BN3TH here! Thanks for sharing the love for our North Shore Chamois. We're super proud of it, and as a small company based in Vancouver, BC, your support means a lot! The Chamois are pretty much sold out in Canada but there are some left in the US, but once they're gone our next drop will be in January. 

2020-08-26-chamois-product-images-dark-d

On 11/1/2020 at 6:36 PM, Teamsloan said:

I forgot if these were mentioned already in this thread, but I might order some to try out. Might just be the perfect solution.

https://www.bn3th.com/products/north-shore-bike-chamois-black

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 11/2/2020 at 12:03 PM, mack_turtle said:

You probably need a different seat.  That, or a wet chamois covered in goop is causing more problems than it prevents.  

I'm over chamois.  I wear some kind of Hanes brand boxer briefs with synthetic fabric that dries fast.  For a typical sub 3 hour ride I think the dryness is worth more than the padding. 

• Like 1