IGNORED

Knee/Elbow pads?

pjs32000

For my typical riding, I've never worn pads.  The most challenging local trail I ride is probably 1/4 notch and most of my riding is at Walnut or Brushy.  I'm also not much of a jumper but would like to progress into some smaller jumps and drops.  I'm old, and unlikely to ever be hucking the big stuff.

That said, I'm considering trips to Spider Mtn in my future as well as a trip to Bentonville.  This has me thinking of getting some pads.  I'm was thinking of lightweight pads (Leatt Airflex Pro caught my eye) because they should be comfortable during my usual riding given the heat and amount of pedaling.  I am worried about the lack of plastic on these style pads and getting caught and pulled off when sliding though, so I thought the Leatt 6.0 might be a good compromise with the split in the hard armor possibly allowing for better pedaling.  On the flip side since I may only wear these on days when I decide to push my limits or go to Spider perhaps a more burly pad makes sense and I make sacrifices with airflow and comfort.  Thoughts from those of you that own pads?

I've read that fit on pads is supremely important.  Are there any shops in town with a good amount of inventory to try on, specifically a Leatt dealer since that's one I've been eyeing?

Edited by pjs32000

I have knee and elbow pads but only wear them when riding park where I'm going to be pushing my limits.  For Knee pads I've got POC VDP and G-form.  I prefer the POC pads as they flow air better and are more substantial protection wise.  For elbow pads I have Forcefield armor pads. They offer great protection and have good airflow but are a bit heavy.  Sorry no experience with Leatt or local shops with availability of anything other than G-form.

8 minutes ago, crazyt said:

are elbow or knee pads more important, or are they equally important?

I don't wear either unless I'm doing a black or double black DH run, and then just knee pads. But given that over 20 years I've gotten a half dozen scars per knee, and maybe one elbow scar, I'd have to say knee pads are more important. 

46 minutes ago, TheX said:

Neither are important, until they are. 

This is very true. I've got some Kali knee pads, the vented ones, that I now wear on every ride. I used to only use them sometimes, on stuff I wasnt comfortable on, until I took a spill and banged my knee pretty good on a fairly mellow rock garden. I could barely walk for a couple days, so I def wear them every time I ride now.

• Like 1

i didn't wear knee pads for 15 years, till i did my first enduro. Now, like a helmet, i feel a bit naked if i'm not wearing them on a trail ride. These a pretty comfy:

https://www.pocsports.com/us/products/joint-vpd-air-knee/20440.html

Also, i've never tried pads with plasticky bits in them. And i've never felt like i needed them. the VPD air feel like they give me the protection i need. And because they're comfortable, i wear them more often.

Edited by circuitbreaker
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, circuitbreaker said:

i didn't wear knee pads for 15 years, till i did my first enduro. Now, like a helmet, i feel a bit naked if i'm not wearing them on a trail ride. These a pretty comfy:

https://www.pocsports.com/us/products/joint-vpd-air-knee/20440.html

Also, i've never tried pads with plasticky bits in them. And i've never felt like i needed them. the VPD air feel like they give me the protection i need. And because they're comfortable, i wear them more often.

I have read good things about the POC pads in general, the VPD system knee in particular but it's very expensive.  I think them being comfortable is going to be very important because if they aren't I likely won't wear them as you also found.

https://www.pocsports.com/us/products/joint-vpd-system-knee/20377.html?dwvar_20377_color=Uranium Black&cgid=mountain-biking-armor#start=1

Edited by pjs32000

3 hours ago, crazyt said:

are elbow or knee pads more important, or are they equally important?

My feeling is that both are important.  I believe my ankle's plate and 10 screws are because of a lack of elbow pads.  

If you get used to relying on your pads to save you, instead of trying to save yourself by dabbing or putting your hand down, you can save from a break or severe injury and I think that's the main thing that pads give you.  The scars from scrapes are not a big deal.  I still don't wear pads except knee/shin pads when I used flat pedals, but I've trained myself to go down with the bike in the case of a lowside instead of trying to catch it.  But even then I have some pretty hard knocks on my knees and elbows...no breaks, but even a couple of months later I have pain.  Pads would have saved me.  I think back to my rollerblading days (yay 90's!) and how used to wearing knee, elbow and wrist/hand pads and how I never got injured thanks to these.  I don't know why I don't wear more pads all the time.

Edited by AntonioGG
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, pjs32000 said:

I have read good things about the POC pads in general, the VPD system knee in particular but it's very expensive.  I think them being comfortable is going to be very important because if they aren't I likely won't wear them as you also found.

https://www.pocsports.com/us/products/joint-vpd-system-knee/20377.html?dwvar_20377_color=Uranium Black&cgid=mountain-biking-armor#start=1

This reminds me of something I read about buying a telescope for my dad, but it can be applied to just about any hobbyist purchase. The best option is the one you feel you will use the most.

I choose to wear my pads (G-Forms) based more on temperature than the terrain I'm riding. I should probably be better at erring on the side of caution in those borderline temp days like we are having now. I figure that wearing pads is the smartest decision until heat stroke fries your brain. I'm more likely to put on those minimal G-Forms than anything heavier.

I gone through a few sets of G-Forms. They aren't the most durable, and the category of lightweight pads has come along since I settled on G-Forms.  Maybe next time I'll shop around more. I have a set of older RF pads that offer more protection than the G-Forms. They are the d30 gel or whatever, not plastic, so they are trying to get into that lightweight category, but still pretty bulky. I'll wear them for the occasional bike park trip, but they really suck to pedal in. If those were my only choice, I would rarely wear them. 

I recall years ago in Bike mag , early 90's , I read a little article about how to crash and one thing always stuck and has come in handy,, When going down on the bike, let the bike hit the ground first. 

This isnt fool proof but in the slow falls where I actually see it coming I put the bars down 1st into the ground instead of my hands\arms , let them break my fall.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Cafeend said:

I recall years ago in Bike mag , early 90's , I read a little article about how to crash and one thing always stuck and has come in handy,, When going down on the bike, let the bike hit the ground first. 

This isnt fool proof but in the slow falls where I actually see it coming I put the bars down 1st into the ground instead of my hands\arms , let them break my fall.

Yes!  100% this.  This is what I mean by going down with the bike if I know I'm going down.  Feet in pedals and hands in bars.  I have bar ends so that even helps protect my hands.  

I used to wear G-form but found the elastic just wears out too fast and rips.  Also not as much side knee protection as I would like.  I've switched to some 7iDP Sam Hill knee pads and they are really good.  Comfortable enough to wear all the time but sturdy enough.  Easy to take out inserts and wash the salty parts.  I'm in the camp of someone who always wears knee pads too.  Made a stupid mistake on a flat section at Walnut not wearing them and my knees paid the price.  Wear them every ride since except when going slow with kids.