IGNORED

Cayon or other direct to consumer bikes??

Recently found out that the Cannondale Scalpel SE 2 inventory (the bike I've been saving up for the past few months) might not be available again until next fall. The only other option would be the SE 1 and its nearly 2k more (way out of my budget range). So I began looking for other options, like direct to consumer brands like Canyon. Does anyone have opinion about brands/companies like this? Are they worth it? Will the bike maybe not last as long as other major brands? Will I have to make upgrades off the bat that would negate the cheaper cost of the bike? Anything would be greatly appreciated!!

I don't have any info relating to your question directly, I just want to say how much I love the Scalpel. I had the 2017 si and it was a great bike. The only reason I don't have it now is because I wanted to see if I like 160 F/R travel for a while.

Sorry about the thread jack.

• Like 1

Canyon makes some interesting bikes for a good price. Particularly the newer AL stuff. Their bearing life and machine quality could be better though. Lots of info out there on canyon, yt, commencal, fezzari etc. I'm happy with my commencal but they don't make anything like the scalpel that you're currently looking at.

Not to hurt any feelings, but if you can buy a new bike right now, it's usually because nobody else wants it. 

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 2

Big fan of Comencal, not too many bikes can claim Andorra as a birthplace.

The biggest issue on direct to consumer is the return process. Fit is 100% the most important aspect of a bike, if you don’t have the opportunity to demo the bike or even just ride around the lot, then there needs to be a real good return process.

You should go into the process assuming that you will return it. If you assume it will be ok then you’ll potentially end up settling on a sub optimal bike because you have convinced yourself not to go through the hassle. That is what they are betting on.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ATXZJ said:

Canyon makes some interesting bikes for a good price. Particularly the newer AL stuff. Their bearing life and machine quality could be better though. Lots of info out there on canyon, yt, commencal, fezzari etc. I'm happy with my commencal but they don't make anything like the scalpel that you're currently looking at.

Not to hurt any feelings, but if you can buy a new bike right now, it's usually because nobody else wants it. 

Didnt think about that, kind of feels like the WWII story about where to put more armor on a plane.Finding the Missing Bullet Holes | OneBite

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, texbiker said:

I ride a Canyon Endurace CF SLX and have over 19,000 miles on it. The maintenance I have done consists of replacing the chain a couple of times, replacing the rear cassette and of course tires. I took it to a LBS to check the bearings and they said they were all okay.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/tEKqUxRip7jQ3d9c8

I was looking more specifically at their MTBs but this does make me feel better about the brand as a whole

My last 2 complete builds and 1 frame were all direct to consumer brands and I don’t regret buying any of them! I think if you know what you want geometry wise (specifically reach and head angle for me) you can get the sizing right. I agree with @ATXZJ in the AL. All my bikes have been metal (chromoly hard tail, aluminum FS), might be a little more apprehensive in a carbon rig. 
Also agree with the new bike, no one wants it scenario. Very little to be currently had. 

Edited by 4fun
  • Like 1

After buying a 2018 YT Jeffsy, really want to get a Canyon Grail CF SL 7. I've no issue with buying "direct to consumer." I've been previously measured for fit and told I am right at center of "average," anyway. Last bike bought in 2005, so ANYTHING new was going to be an adjustment, so I didn't worry about fit. 

Edited by jcarneytx
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 4fun said:

My last 2 complete builds and 1 frame were all direct to consumer brands and I don’t regret buying any of them! I think if you know what you want geometry wise (specifically reach and head angle for me) you can get the sizing right. I agree with @ATXZJ in the AL. All my bikes have been metal (chromoly hard tail, aluminum FS), might be a little more apprehensive in a carbon rig. 
Also agree with the new bike, no one wants it scenario. Very little to be currently had. 

Yeah the carbon builds are not only more expensive but make me a little more nervous and the "outdated" geometry  is also kind of putting me off from buying a Canyon

suspension design is one my my most important criteria. I hate climbing (e.g. up courtyard, jester, yaupon) where the suspension is moving around so I tend to stick with dw-link. It seems like most people dont really care that much. 

I personally would rather buy just the frame and build the bike up. I dont have the patience to sell take off parts for full value. The scalpel SE2 is 4K list I typically budget about 2K for everything else outside the frame, but Ill typically use used hubs to build a carbon wheelset and/or a used fork to get there. You can get to 1500 if you skimp a little on the wheelset (aluminum instead of carbon, or hope hubs instead of i9 hydra/torch).

That leaves about 2000-2500 for a frame which opens up almost any bike. 

I dont generally buy frames used, but realistically I dont ride that hard so it should be fine.

• Like 1

I like the hybrid model where the bike goes to a shop for proper assembly first. most bike companies have been moving toward more direct-to-consumer models, but I feel bad for the customer service reps who must answer phone calls all day with idiots who strip out bolts and try to fix squeaking brakes with "Crisco." yes, I had a customer bring in a bike one time who did that. the market has been changing and covid accelerated that.

I just ordered a frame from Twin Six. they have some really cool gravel bike and hardtails. they have a new titanium version of something coming soon. It's been a great experience so far, except I ordered the wrong bottom bracket and neglected to order a headset, so it's coming together slowly. finally bled the rear brake last night after a lot of fuss.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

I like the hybrid model where the bike goes to a shop for proper assembly first.

I like this model too! @Austin SmitheyIf you see anything in Intense's lineup that interests you, check with Joe at Monkey Wrench as he might be able to get you something under the price advertised on Intense's website. In addition to assembly, Monkey Wrench will deal with all of the warranty claims on your behalf. They got my XX1 derailleur replaced by SRAM well outside of the normal warranty period when the clutch failed. Something to be said for a bike shop that will work hard on your behalf like that.     

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Austin Smithey said:

Yeah the carbon builds are not only more expensive but make me a little more nervous and the "outdated" geometry  is also kind of putting me off from buying a Canyon

Don't be too put off by the canyon geo. Besides, it's probably gonna be updated soon.

If the seat tube & top tube length works for your body shape, don't sweat the rest of the geo that much. The riding in CTX is a completely different kettle of fish compared to where most R&D takes place,  and bikes with slightly more conservative geo still do surprisingly well here. You can be perfectly fine with a 67-68* HTA and 74-75* STA with a 46 +/-" WB.

My crap 2c

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, throet said:

I like this model too! @Austin SmitheyIf you see anything in Intense's lineup that interests you, check with Joe at Monkey Wrench as he might be able to get you something under the price advertised on Intense's website. In addition to assembly, Monkey Wrench will deal with all of the warranty claims on your behalf. They got my XX1 derailleur replaced by SRAM well outside of the normal warranty period when the clutch failed. Something to be said for a bike shop that will work hard on your behalf like that.     

ill check them out thx

7 minutes ago, ATXZJ said:

Don't be too put off by the canyon geo. Besides, it's probably gonna be updated soon.

If the seat tube & top tube length works for your body shape, don't sweat the rest of the geo that much. The riding in CTX is a completely different kettle of fish compared to where most R&D takes place,  and bikes with slightly more conservative geo still do surprisingly well here. You can be perfectly fine with a 67-68* HTA and 74-75* STA with a 46 +/-" WB.

My crap 2c

Couldn't agree more. A lot of the new stuff is confidence inspiring for those who want to slay the steeps, but when I demoed a Mondraker on our trails around here, it wasn't nearly as easy to move the front end up and around things the way I like to do on our local trails. For me the middle ground is fertile, 67.5 HA and reach under 460mm on a L. 

• Like 1

i wouldn't think twice about buying a canyon, commencal, or yt. they seem to make great bikes.

i also don't like to buy a bike without riding it first, so that can make things difficult with these brands.

As far as immediate upgrades go, don't worry about it, unless its bothering you. Ride it till it brakes, then upgrade.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, xl_cheese said:

Feel free to come Demo an Orbea Oiz!  That model seems to be in the same arena as the Cannondale you were looking at.  120mm front and rear.  

I have some on order which are scheduled to be delivered in Dec/Jan timeframe.  https://www.orbea.com/us-en/bicycles/mountain/oiz/cat/oiz-m10-tr

This is on my list of bikes to replace my aging Czar.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, xl_cheese said:

Feel free to come Demo an Orbea Oiz!  That model seems to be in the same arena as the Cannondale you were looking at.  120mm front and rear.  

I have some on order which are scheduled to be delivered in Dec/Jan timeframe.  https://www.orbea.com/us-en/bicycles/mountain/oiz/cat/oiz-m10-tr

And where is that?

9 hours ago, ATXZJ said:

My crap 2c

i bought a ripmo and Im used to it now and it is fine. But when I ride my "old school" turner czar it is amazingly comfortable. So "old school" geo still feels great

• Like 1