IGNORED

Vehicle Towing Capacity

hurronnicane

How seriously do you take manufacturers’ towing capacity?  We have a Honda CRV with a stated towing capacity of 1500 pounds.  We are contemplating a teardrop camper that pushes the limit and might even slightly exceed it.  We might eventually get a better tow vehicle, but for now would it be crazy to push the envelope?  Some online forums hinted that the towing capacity for US cars is artificially low due to lawyers and frivolous lawsuits.  As fun as it is to blame all societal problems on lawyers I wonder if that is paranoid ravings or if there is an element of truth in it?

I tend to agree with the stated low theory because of lawyers. "But you SAID it would tow 3,000 pounds and look what happened with my 3,000 load!!!"

But in reality I must indeed believe them.

We were towing our 2,000# pop-up with a car rated at 2,000. I never felt under powered or anything. And we towed it hundreds of miles without any problem. BUT we ended up getting a car with a 5,000# rating just in case the tow weights were real. I guess it's worth it for the piece of mind. 

I have found that the online RV people tend to be worry warts in general. "Don 't do this, don't do that, it's not safe, it'll void the warranty..." etc, etc.

I have had 2 trailers in the last few years and towed with a pickup.
I learned that the advertised towing is different when you use a towing calculator and determine more precise weights.
What the marketing people tell me a tow capacity is and what it actually is can be very different.
They don't take into account other weight that should be considered, like fuel family dog.. kids.. food .. cooler.. ice .. propane. That all counts.

That said.. educate yourself and understand all the unknown aspects of towing.
It is a safety thing for your loved ones but also the random others on the road. Wear and tear and peace of mind.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I'm no engineer, but this is a great point ^ - it is not about a 2,000# towing capacity and a 2,000# trailer is right at the limit, right? Well once you put all your camping stuff in there, it is now a 3,000# trailer.

It's like setting up your suspension based on your weight out of the shower and not your weight with all your gear on.

One thing also to remember is that the tow capacity takes a lot into consideration.  Brake size, axle strengths, support for where the hitch will mount., not just power to move the load.

On a trailer that small I doubt it would have trailer brakes, so you would be relying on the cars brakes to stop everything all the time.  And I would bet that the 1500lbs is empty, what is the gross weight of the trailer?  Once you had a few changes of clothes, some fluids, all the stuff you can cram in there for an enjoyable weekend, you'll be way over max towing capacity. 

So I would see what your max payload is, most likely a sticker on the door.  Then you can add for gas in the car, 2 people in the gear in the car, add on the tongue weight and see where you land, my guess is you will be over loaded.

Could it be done, yes would I want to tow that far over the limits, with such a small vehicle?  Not really to be honest.

2 hours ago, hurronnicane said:

How seriously do you take manufacturers’ towing capacity?  We have a Honda CRV with a stated towing capacity of 1500 pounds.  We are contemplating a teardrop camper that pushes the limit and might even slightly exceed it.  We might eventually get a better tow vehicle, but for now would it be crazy to push the envelope?  Some online forums hinted that the towing capacity for US cars is artificially low due to lawyers and frivolous lawsuits.  As fun as it is to blame all societal problems on lawyers I wonder if that is paranoid ravings or if there is an element of truth in it?

From someone who flipped a truck towing a trailer that was almost at the max towing capacity, be careful. 

IMO it is not about what your vehicle can tow going 40mph on a nice sunshine day out to pedernales. It is about what your vehicle can handle when you have a blowout, or you catch a 50mph crosswind crossing NW Texas, or you’re coming down a 10% grade for 6 miles and you’re burning up your brakes even though you’re hitting 4K rpms in 4th gear. 

I’ve been handling long haul trucks my whole life and had my CDL for 8 years (I’m only 32).

When shit hits the fan in a passenger vehicle with something hanging off the back that you kind of shouldn’t be pulling, it’s a different ball game. 

May 25, 2017. My little wiener dog and I walked away without a scratch after kicking out the windshield.

25-F82518-242-F-4626-B6-C7-CBCD37-AE2-C9

Edited by bestbike85
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, AustinBike said:

I'm no engineer, but this is a great point ^ - it is not about a 2,000# towing capacity and a 2,000# trailer is right at the limit, right? Well once you put all your camping stuff in there, it is now a 3,000# trailer.

It's like setting up your suspension based on your weight out of the shower and not your weight with all your gear on.

You see a lot of camper trailers that are seriously overloaded.  Don't forget about tongue weight and the distribution of the weight on the trailer.  My only experience was towing race car on a 20' flat bed, and the difference in handling based on 1ft difference front and back was significant.  If your truck/car is squatting heavily, you have a problem (and you'll be blinding oncoming traffic at night too).

31 minutes ago, bestbike85 said:

From someone who flipped a truck towing a trailer that was almost at the max towing capacity, be careful. 

IMO it is not about what your vehicle can tow going 40mph on a nice sunshine day out to pedernales. It is about what your vehicle can handle when you have a blowout, or you catch a 50mph crosswind crossing NW Texas, or you’re coming down a 10% grade for 6 miles and you’re burning up your brakes even though you’re hitting 4K rpms in 4th gear. 

I’ve been handling long haul trucks my whole life and had my CDL for 8 years (I’m only 32).

When shit hits the fan in a passenger vehicle with something hanging off the back that you kind of shouldn’t be pulling, it’s a different ball game. 

May 25, 2017. My little wiener dog and I walked away without a scratch after kicking out the windshield.

I feel even more strongly about my response I was already typing after reading yours.

I think it's not so much about can my vehicle make it down the highway pulling this trailer under idea conditions versus, I am going down Monarch Pass in a cross wind when an 18 wheeler coming the other direction suddenly creates another strong wind force as I am coming into a curve perhaps even a little too hot? Are the tires, frame, suspension, brakes, etc. more than strong enough to overcome adverse conditions? If I have to make an evasive maneuver, am I already at the limit? I looked long and hard at trailers over the last few months and know what different ones weigh and what a Tacoma supposedly can tow and on recent road trips I have noticed some people pulling way over the rated capacity. Kind of like Chinese carbon bars, they probably won't fold while on town lake, but give them to Seth and you are likely to see failure.

Somewhere in west Texas last month I was on a 2 lane state highway. For a stretch, the wind conditions combined with 18 wheelers and I passing each other at 75mph-ish within a few feet of each other was causing my hood to move/shake very noticeably as we passed. I thought it was going to pop open. I pulled over and checked it and it was fine, but it was very unnerving and I would pull partly onto the shoulder when I passed another one. I would not want to have been at the limit during that stretch with those sudden forces.

16 hours ago, bestbike85 said:

I would like to hear more about what happened in this situation.

This is completely the place for the info, its on point to the OP topic.  Likewise, I like to learn from the experiences of others (whether it be bikes, jobs, relationships, or...pulling a trailer).  Occasionally, I pull classic cars with my Tundra.  I try to do it as safely as possible but I can definitely tell the NOTEABLE changes in the variables I have to deal with when loaded (and no trailer brakes!).

Thanks,
CJB

My mom rolled a 34’ Airstream years ago.  Supposedly one of the stabilizer/anti sway bars sprung and sent the trailer into a spiral death curve.  My dad who was asleep on the back seat woke up standing up with the Suburban laying on it’s side.  Nobody was hurt, but I’m pretty sure my mom lost her appetite for towing after that.  

1 hour ago, CBaron said:

I would like to hear more about what happened in this situation.

This is completely the place for the info, its on point to the OP topic.  Likewise, I like to learn from the experiences of others (whether it be bikes, jobs, relationships, or...pulling a trailer).  Occasionally, I pull classic cars with my Tundra.  I try to do it as safely as possible but I can definitely tell the NOTEABLE changes in the variables I have to deal with when loaded (and no trailer brakes!).

Thanks,
CJB

That Tacoma has the 3.5L V6 as well as the factory towing package. Believe it was rated for 6,600 or 6,800lbs. Trailer with equipment was pegged at 5,500lbs almost on the dot.

I was 40 miles east of Ft Stockton going 60mph on I 10 at about 5am. Came over a standard low profile overpass that had a good bump at the end. Coming off the bump I blew out the drivers side front tire on the trailer, which I immediately felt and cut the cruise off. Watching my mirrors and my speed drop the trailer was crazy off balance and started to sway as I gently braked (didn’t think locking them up was a good idea that this point). Ended up getting sideways somewhere between 30 and 40mph. Both trailer and truck going driver side first. Trailer sheered both wheels off that side and the hitch pin sheered off from the truck at some point. Allowing the truck to roll over the roof and stopping in the passenger side. I believe the safety chains are what stopped the truck from rolling more. 

To this day I believe I acted to the best of my ability and would have the same actions if in that situation again now. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

This is where a break controller helps.  

I was towing a 10,000lb bumper pull travel trailer to west texas (f350 diesel) and the trailer started swaying on me going down a long descent, causing the truck to shake as well.  I've never had to do this, but I used the brake controller to slow down the trailer.  I kept one hand near the controller for the rest of that trip.  

Like others have already said. Tow ratings are for ideal conditions and dont account for emergency maneuvers or extreme road conditions like long descents and strong crosswinds. 

And make sure to change your tranny fluid more often if you tow regularly.   Most trucks driver's manuals state this, but I'm not sure if manuals for other vehicles would state this.