IGNORED

The Hot Sauce Thread

TheX

My favorite is one I made a few years ago.  I got a ghost pepper plant and habanero plants from my late mother in law.  Had a huge harvest one year and made it into bottled sauce.  I had to wear full respirator, goggles, and gloves and blend it in the garage but it was awesome.  Ghost peppers have a lot of flavor not just heat.

One of my favorite commercial ones is El Yucateco green.

When I want pure heat with no flavor (so as to heat up a mild sauce or salsa) Lousiana Habanero sauce will do it.

Currently I also have 3 Cholulas.  I like the lime, but the sweet habanero not so much.  Of course the classic is good.  Bought the chipotle but have not tried it.

La Valentina for pouring over popcorn or chips.

Sriracha is a staple.

Edited by AntonioGG

Good topic...I like El yucateco chili habenero.
Local brands yellowbirds of all flavors are good and gtown has a hot sauce shop on the square and one of the house sauces Mikey V's sam sauce is a tomatillo base with mix of different peppers...I likey me some good tomatillo sauces.
He used to have out samples all the time.. that was fun

Sent from my SM-A115AZ using Tapatalk

Yucateca's XXX and Black Label Reserve are both good. I have a bottle of Texified Sriracha that is tasty though NOT spicy. Torchbearer's Garlic Reaper is a must for dribbling onto pizza. Just bought Heatonist's Los Calientes red and green labels (think red label is supposed to have a bit more habanero) that are a bit "meh." Also have a bottle of Last Dab XXX. Spice I use the most though, and it's not a sauce, is the 4oz bottle of Carolina Reaper flakes from Sonoran Spice. Been through several of those bottles over last several years. Easy to add to anything at all, and I usually do. Encountered a harissa spice blend that was very tasty and bought a bottle of harissa sauce, but it wasn't nearly as good as the dried spices. 

16 hours ago, jcarneytx said:

People post this all the time, and only because of the name. Not a good sauce and not overly spicy.

Of course - what would a hot sauce thread be without it? At least now we know that the stuff actually does exist. I always thought it was made up. 

On 10/18/2020 at 10:57 PM, TheX said:

Any mixer/modifiers here? I add Dave's Insanity Sauce to weaker sauces if I love the flavor.

I guess that's one way to use it. Hated it so much, threw at least 2/3rds of a bottle out. I wouldn't want to contaminate a good sauce by adding Insanity into it. Stuff tasted like licking a battery covered with sulfuric acid.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jcarneytx said:

I guess that's one way to use it. Hated it so much, threw at least 2/3rds of a bottle out. I wouldn't want to contaminate a good sauce by adding Insanity into it. Stuff tasted like licking a battery covered with sulfuric acid.

Same. Spice for the sake of spice is not my jam. I'm adding hot sauce to food because the food lacks flavor, not that it lacks pain.

This is one of my favorites ever. Good for pizza, burgers, eggs, and other American type foods, and also basically anything edible. Spicy enough to notice, pretty sweet, but it's all really balanced with the earthiness of the truffle. 

61d0laC38UL._SL1400_.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TheX said:

Nothin' wrong with adding heat to flavorful sauce.

Yes. HEAT is fine, which is why I use dried Reaper flakes. The nasty, chemical burn of Insanity is just not my thing. There are other sauces just as hot, and hotter, but that one seems to take pride in it's awful taste. Sort of like Da Bomb (I've had it once, and it was not pleasant, but don't remember actual taste of it.)

6 hours ago, notyal said:

Same. Spice for the sake of spice is not my jam. I'm adding hot sauce to food because the food lacks flavor, not that it lacks pain.

This is one of my favorites ever. Good for pizza, burgers, eggs, and other American type foods, and also basically anything edible. Spicy enough to notice, pretty sweet, but it's all really balanced with the earthiness of the truffle. 

61d0laC38UL._SL1400_.jpg

Uhgg...I've used truffle powder before (still have a small amount left) but I really do not like the taste. It isn't bad, exactly, just one of those acquired things, in my case. And I have no interest in doing so.

10 minutes ago, jcarneytx said:

Uhgg...I've used truffle powder before (still have a small amount left) but I really do not like the taste. It isn't bad, exactly, just one of those acquired things, in my case. And I have no interest in doing so.

Each to their own. I can't claim to be a truffle connoisseur, but I do like hot sauce. This is a good hot sauce. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, TheX said:

I like fruity sauces lately. I have a Habanero pineapple that was a gift. It's amazing. The blueberry Ghost Pepper combo mentioned above really works.

Which Habanero pineapple? I got the Cholula and it's not my favorite.

There's a recipe for a sauce my paternal grandfather used to make.  It's with ripe (red) serrano peppers, vinegar, and Mexican oregano.  That combo is amazing.  Maybe it's nostalgia for me.

I like fruity sauces lately. I have a Habanero pineapple that was a gift. It's amazing. The blueberry Ghost Pepper combo mentioned above really works.
This is a good one out of Hawaii...habenero papaya...all thier sauces are a fruit flavor ... I got the guava liliquoi one as well but its a little too sweet for me

http://hanahotties.com/product/hanahotties-gourmet-papaya-hot-sauce

Sent from my SM-A115AZ using Tapatalk

• Like 1