IGNORED

I guess I've become a chicken shit...

TheX

I just realized that in the last 700 miles I haven't had a single crash/OTB incident. I think it's because I ride alone 100% of the time. I haven't had anyone to tow me around, giving me something new to try.

Looking forward to things getting back to normal! 

walnut_10-18-20.thumb.jpg.9f2fb1275638ea054e43f56bf65800bf.jpg

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

My only rule is "never go OTB." Some exceptions apply (like handlebar hitting a tree). I rarely hit the ground though. Maybe once every 1500 miles or so. Although Tuesday I had a pretty exciting washout on a Walnut hot lap. It was dusty and I was tired. Just got a bit of rash on my leg.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheX said:

I thought about this thread when I was on Double Down yesterday. My first time on it, and wasn't paying close enough attention. Didn't crash, but it was a miracle save.

It's easy to get into trouble on DD. It happens fast too. 

• Like 2

Riding Mulligan backwards - I clipped a bar and this is where my bike landed.  If I went OTB - I would have fallen down that cliff to the stream that divides the trail from the golfcourse.  My eyes got REALLY big when I noticed where I was heading.!  Front wheel is actually over the edge!

20200424_111650_resized.thumb.jpg.7490e9f2674c422e8c1a06b159b7ec65.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shinerider said:

Riding Mulligan backwards - I clipped a bar and this is where my bike landed.  If I went OTB - I would have fallen down that cliff to the stream that divides the trail from the golfcourse.  My eyes got REALLY big when I noticed where I was heading.!  Front wheel is actually over the edge!

20200424_111650_resized.thumb.jpg.7490e9f2674c422e8c1a06b159b7ec65.jpg

I hadn't ridden Muligan for a long time, and recently decided to give it a try. That area you are at, with the stump that sticks up right about bar or pedal strike area, has become a very thin line IMO. I don't know what it is about that trail, but it has caused a lot of rider damage over the years. I just don't even consider it fun anymore. But then again, I'm old and feeble.

• Like 1

Just going for a quick 15 miles at Walnut early this morning. Clip the bar going through the trees just before root drop, and went tumbling. I have been through there a thousand times, and wasn't paying attention. Since they made root drop so easy now, I don't even think about where I'm going.

6 minutes ago, TheX said:

Just going for a quick 15 miles at Walnut early this morning. Clip the bar going through the trees just before root drop, and went tumbling. I have been through there a thousand times, and wasn't paying attention. Since they made root drop so easy now, I don't even think about where I'm going.

I'm definitely very rusty off-road too.  Lots more gravel/road riding for me b/c of work/family/time constraints.  Riding unmentionables and taking a bad spill in an easy section really made me aware that it takes time to get back into the zone and to not relax too much until I'm back to 100%.  It's kind of amazing wen we ride trails regularly how we're not really thinking about all the stuff we have to do to not get hurt!

As to root drop, I'm just glad I got to ride the OG root drop on a 26".  It was intimidating but not bad at all.  The worst part of it was the consequence of falling into the nasty puddle of doggy shit water at the bottom.

• Like 2