IGNORED

**UPDATED** EB: Thumper Pre-Ride (Sunday 10/28)

CBaron

**UPDATE**

I've updated the info below to reflect the new plan for a Thumper EB Pre-Ride for this coming Sunday (10/28).  Most everything is the same as last time, except I need for it to begin earlier (1pm meet time)

Thanks, -CJB

Hello all,

So the basic Thumper route for the EB has been marked.  Later this evening you should be able to find more info and detail (w/photos) over on the EB Facebook page.  But I'm not on FB so I'm going to post up my ride call(s) here.

Due to family obligations and leaving town, I'm planning to do the Thumper EB pre-ride this coming Sunday.  The plans are as follows:

Meeting location: BB Rovers on Jollyville.

Meeting time: 1pm (w/roll out at 1:15)

Route Plans: Leave BB Rovers and ride over to Thumper for a civilized lap.  We will do our best to stop at some of the "confusion spots" and give insight into the route.  But I can't 100% say that this is a 'no drop ride'; it nearly impossible to pull that off at Thumper.  Be fully prepared to be self-sufficient, even though we won't plan to go fast.  I'm also planning to do some more markings and trail adjustments during this ride.  *NOTE* after the Thumper lap, then we can make a decision to ride over to make a lap at St Eds.  All things going normal, I fully plan to make this happen.  Thus, if you're not familiar with St Eds then this could be good for you too.

Extra:  Bring at tail light at least.  Last years ride was about 4.5hrs door to door.  So we could possibly be coming back through the neighborhood at dusk.  Plan accordingly for water & food.

Last years Strava route:   (the starting point & ending points were different....and I myself road from home)  This can give you a basic idea of the Thumper-St Eds ride/distance/time   https://www.strava.com/activities/1197925764

If you have any questions or comments, then please post them up.

Thanks, -CJB

Edited by CBaron
  • Like 1

I left town early this morning and just got back.  I heard the weather was pretty good today?  But you are correct, if we get much of any rain between now and 3pm tomorrow, then the ride will be called off.  When I was out there on Thursday, the ground is saturated and rocks are slickery.  I REALLY don't want to take people through that trail in those conditions.

If it gets called, I may turn it into an afternoon Thumper hike.  People could get a chance to see most of the trail(s), check out the markings and maybe help with some basic trail work.

Thanks, -CJB

[Thumbs Down]  Thanks for letting me know

There are 3 of us who are/have been planning to get out there regularly over the next week(s) to keep the trail in ready condition.  But if anyone goes out there and finds something, please report back.  With the soft soil, it wouldn't take much to create a mess out there.  There are already a few (pretty minor) spots where gravity is beginning to make a few 'leaning trees' lean more.  At some point they will have to be address too.

Thanks, -CJB

• 2 weeks later...

*NOTE* Preliminary Planning for a Sunday afternoon Thumper EB Pre-Ride call.

Nothing set in stone yet, but if we can get 3-4 days now of sunny weather then I think we need to make a Thumper EB ride call.  I cannot do Saturday....so it would have to be Sunday afternoon.  Let me check on some family details (and I'll firm up plans is 24-36 hrs).  I may even try to get out there tomorrow afternoon and walk the trail to check on conditions.

Stay Tuned

-CJB

Edited by CBaron
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, CBaron said:

*NOTE* Preliminary Planning for a Sunday afternoon Thumper EB Pre-Ride call.

Nothing set in stone yet, but if we can get 3-4 days now of sunny weather then I think we need to make a Thumper EB ride call.  I cannot do Saturday....so it would have to be Sunday afternoon.  Let me check on some family details (and I'll firm up plans is 24-36 hrs).  I may even try to get out there tomorrow afternoon and walk the trail to check on conditions.

Stay Tuned

-CJB

Ok, I've got my schedule cleared for a Thumper pre-ride this Sunday.  The problem is that my schedule is really not all that clear.  Therefore, I'm going to have to squeeze this in from 1pm+ (I've got a dinner engagement at 5pm).  I've updated the original post at tope of page to reflect the new time.  Please post up if you have any questions or comments.  It would be my hope to get one more of these types of pre-rides (at Thumper) in before the following Saturday....but you know how it goes with the recent weather.

Cheers, -CJB

• Like 1