IGNORED

Projects

Cafeend

10 minutes ago, AustinBike said:

I iron once a year, at most.

Can't tell you the last time I did but my wife & daughter use it. Board came with the house so it stayed.

Guess it beats dragging one out of the closet.

IMG_20210506_082709153.jpg

• Like 3

even if you don't use a lot, that "vintage" ironing board is a badass bit of retro kitch to have in the house.

we've explored putting a Murphy bed in one room. that's another project that my wife tells me is "easy" because someone in YouTube did it in an afternoon, but it will take me three months and cost thousands of dollars, then fall on me while I'm not paying attention to it during work.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

we've explored putting a Murphy bed in one room. that's another project that my wife tells me is "easy" because someone in YouTube did it in an afternoon, but it will take me three months and cost thousands of dollars, then fall on me while I'm not paying attention to it during work.

That was something we thought about for our guest room.  In the end we got a fancy futon that doesn't have to be moved from the wall to deploy instead.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

even if you don't use a lot, that "vintage" ironing board is a badass bit of retro kitch to have in the house.

I did one about 8 years ago. Bought the hardware kit for a few hundred dollars, which included the plans and cut sheet. I spent a few hours making all the cuts and then assembled everything in a few more hours. We did stain grade plywood, then the wife decided she wanted to paint it. I ended up then doing bookshelves on the sides (another full weekend). 

It was in a small room and really helped. Basically the kid crib and play room, but when guests came it was the guest room.

• Like 3

That is an awesome idea. If I did not already have an investment in Steadyracks I would be all over this.

One recommendation that I would make is to try to find a way to have long and short hooks. If you can add 6-8" differential you can get the bikes closer together because the handlebars overlap instead of getting caught up in each other. You could also alternate hanging bikes upside down to do the same thing but it is more difficult to take the upside down bikes off a rack because the front wheel wants to turn when you put it on the ground.

Trolleys are ~$45 for two:

https://www.amazon.com/Wheel-Trolley-Assembly-Taller-Channel/dp/B08S3DMGP4/ref=sr_1_58?_encoding=UTF8&c=ts&dchild=1&keywords=Beam+Trolleys&qid=1621077299&s=industrial&sr=1-58&ts_id=256402011

Edited by AustinBike

• 2 weeks later...

I am in the very strange position where I can't think of any actual bike parts I want to buy, which means I have an opportunity to buy some tools. I can only think of a few tools that I could possibly use, so my mind turns to storage: I have all my sockets in trays at the bottom of a big tool bin, so there's a hassle to get to. it's a massive collection of 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" sockets of various depths—more sockets than I would care to put on a wall. I would consider a wall-mounted cabinet to store them all, but it would be a very heavy cabinet. that leaves me with a tool chest with drawers, or something I have not thought of yet.

What would be your approach to putting all this someplace where it's easier to access?

672579892_ScreenShot2021-05-24at8_50_15AM.thumb.png.86612e28525a9a3e584accb6d2bcc6eb.png

to get to those sockets, I have to first lift that top try off and set it down someplace, then lift the three trays to find the socket I need, which is often at the bottom or missing because I was in a hurry to put it away and didn't find the right place for it.

tool chests can be pretty darn expensive. used ones don't seem to last long on the market, but I'll hold out for a good one if that does the job.

what alternative storage methods are out there that I am missing?

Mine are hanging on my peg board on rails.  Each rail holds a type and I can grab the whole thing if I'm not sure what I need.   I have a bunch of different ones, starting from old Craftsman metal ones with handles and the last I bought are plastic ones from Home Depot.  Some of my sockets (Torx) came with their own organizer already.

https://www.amazon.com/Socket-Organizer-Premium-Quality-Portable/dp/B07R7Q5TD6

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I bought this set of four interlocking floor mats for <$10 at Harbor Freight. they're about 10mm thick. they're just the right size to be cut in half and trimmed down to fit in the drawers and I'll have a few extras.

Here's the SAE drawer. I drew one line with a yard stick along the bottom and started laying out the sockets with even spacing. it's not perfectly square, but it's close enough. I mapped them out on the "back" of the mat so it will look clean when I flip it over. I have some space left over, which might hold some hex keys or something:

20210606_134112.jpg.72ce1feaaa79163eed59cdc60bdd0db9.jpg

I've cut out about half of the the socket pockets. this took some trial and error, but I found this to work:

1. put the box that the toolbox came in on a table top. it's four layers of cardboard so you can jab straight through and not worry about dulling the knife on the tabletop or scratching up the surface.
  2. extend utility knife blade all the way out (about 1") and start jabbing.  cutting out each square takes a steady hand, but you can kind of saw through it to keep from sliding and slicing too far.
  3. flip the mat over and carefully cut out the rest of each square nice and clean.

20210606_134119.jpg.38b81950e2b6071c1459a7c93b674d3b.jpg

^this socket fits perfectly in this spot.

when I flip the mat over, it looks like this:

20210606_134147.jpg.acd9ba6efca2cacb186f87323d481a88.jpg

bonus tip: for the very small sockets, cut the hole out about 150% of the length of the socket. they way, you can fit your finger behind the end of the socket to pry it out. you don't want the fit to be too tight so that the sockets fall in and are a challenge to dig out of the pocket.

20210606_134135.jpg

• Like 7

On the project front, if anyone finds out about somebody doing a kitchen remodel, I am looking for as many wall cabinets as possible for my shop. I could build from scratch, but they are just going to be garage cabinets, so used is fine.

I am also available to come pull them if needed. Free demo.

23 minutes ago, Mattlikesbikes said:

On the project front, if anyone finds out about somebody doing a kitchen remodel, I am looking for as many wall cabinets as possible for my shop. I could build from scratch, but they are just going to be garage cabinets, so used is fine.

I am also available to come pull them if needed. Free demo.

the Habitat for Humanity ReStore on South First always has a ton of cabinets for cheap. go straight to the back of the store to find them.

On 6/5/2021 at 4:33 PM, mack_turtle said:

Finally broke down and bought this Craftsman toolbox. $100 with tax at Lowes. Seems like a relatively solid deal and has more than enough room.

20210605_162842.thumb.jpg.ed6a54c9593ee079f733960968c939cb.jpg

Now all my sockets are rolling around in the drawers though. Need to visit Michael's to get some foam to cut out an organizer.

20210605_162850.thumb.jpg.1d4502b6219afa02a7c2909c4fffacfe.jpg

https://www.harborfreight.com/38-in-magnetic-socket-rail-black-70021.html?_br_psugg_q=rail+socket

On 6/6/2021 at 1:56 PM, mack_turtle said:

I bought this set of four interlocking floor mats for <$10 at Harbor Freight. they're about 10mm thick. they're just the right size to be cut in half and trimmed down to fit in the drawers and I'll have a few extras.

Here's the SAE drawer. I drew one line with a yard stick along the bottom and started laying out the sockets with even spacing. it's not perfectly square, but it's close enough. I mapped them out on the "back" of the mat so it will look clean when I flip it over. I have some space left over, which might hold some hex keys or something:

20210606_134112.jpg.72ce1feaaa79163eed59cdc60bdd0db9.jpg

My first thought when I ran across this photo is....damn, I'm certain that guy does not have kids.  LOL

Cheers,
CJB

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

I finally got it finished.  I used 10ft 1 5/8 superstrutt from Home Depot and ordered the sliders from Paul’s Custom Brackets (made in the USA!).  The two wheels mean you need to provide maybe 2lbs up force to slide them but it works perfectly and these are much cheaper than the 4 bearing ones.  The other improvement is that I ground the wood threads down and used an M5 die.  Double nutted and loctite.

https://youtube.com/shorts/BHOLA7fPeiA?feature=share

5F624535-9C06-4734-999A-3FDCA8BA0C9A.jpeg

78F77D55-79AB-40F1-9932-C2B627AA6AC2.jpeg

Edited by AntonioGG
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...