IGNORED

Projects

Cafeend

I am jealous. 

I had essentially a half cord to 3/4 cord of firewood this year from the storms in my yard.

Then I started to get really trashy. Huge oak limb in the street down by the corner during the storm last year. Johnny Chainsaw to the rescue. Neighbors were happy that I helped clear the street for them. Most of it went into my SUV. 

Large oak limb dropped in the park. After 2 months of it sitting there, Johnny Chainsaw back in action, car filled up, more firewood.

Neighbors had branches come down. I was very helpful in chopping things up so that they only had to deal with the little stuff.

I have finally started running out. But there are a few more cold days coming up. You know that deadfall that used to be near the Shoal Creek Hike and Bike trail? Don't go looking for it.

I highly recommend the Black and Decker electric chainsaws. They use the same battery as my leaf blower and trimmers. Also, an electric pole saw is a right of mid life passage for men. What a great tool.

• Like 1

We heat our home almost entirely with the wood stove in this picture.  It was a huge plus during last year’s Snowpocaalypse/power outage!  With ten acres of brush and trouble we always have potential firewood, it is just a matter of cutting it, splitting some of it, storing it, and bringing enough into the barn before prolonged cold and wet spells.

We had an epic ice storm the year we moved out here (1997) which prompted me to buy my first chainsaw, a 14 inch Echo.  On the same day my dad bought an almost identical Echo which eventually became mine when he passed.  Last year after that ice storm my wife bought a Black and Decker cordless chainsaw, and just a few weeks ago I got the Black and Decker pole saw.  I was skeptical of the battery powered chainsaw, but have found it really helpful for my private trail network on a neighbor’s property.  I lust after a slightly larger and much newer gas chainsaw but haven’t pulled the trigger yet.

98250F41-D236-49DC-B4EE-ED21BB41C1E8.jpeg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Made some more progress on project GTFO with the addition of a new fence. Price was right for what we got, and they did 40ft in a couple hours. Pretty impressive.

Now have to do some refinishing work on the exterior, new countertop for the wetbar and flooring in the master bathroom and study.

IMG_20220225_163413225.jpg

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 3

Our front yard project is 90% done.   We need to have a mason fix some things, trees are getting air spaded soon, and we'll plant some more native plants in some spots.

Before:

image.thumb.png.8ea4f69a08a606dcb497fe87edf6e78c.png

Intermediate: (the trees show how high dirt, mulch. leaves were piled up, someone thought aluminum flashing would protect the house from conducive conditions.  That aluminum was completely rotted, and you can see how high the dirt was against the house).  I estimated we dug and moved 45-50 wheelbarrow loads of dirt from near the house to behind the new retaining wall or the backyard.)

image.thumb.png.702312b28aa27dd74adde71e5c78f3a2.png

Halfway through the retainer wall build, staged material (gravel, sand, 3-4" river rock and limestone blocks).

image.thumb.png.f4546e3f3f0d7d4a0804584e4aa04cf6.png

Today:

image.thumb.png.dbc9df23bd874dafe2512dc6207bfbf1.png

image.thumb.png.9570e901f1c4adfe91d1944d5257c596.png

A big driver for this work is to fix water flooding into our porch.  Someone had just put a PVC pipe that emptied into the garden bed on one side, but with no output.  We put in a French drain going all the way across on the other side instead.  We also had to divert water/dirt away from the A/C unit.  In a highly sloping yard, dirt is always migrating:

image.thumb.png.e9f386503a7f9aeabc0f38cc7217c141.png

The side is maybe 70% done.  We decided to focus on finishing the front and have not progressed on the side.  The big issue is basically a creek flowing during rainstorms, eroding the dirt, etc.  I got the idea of the concept from my airbnb in Bella Vista, AR.

image.thumb.png.259d8de55a201f34a8beaa66c5b4efb5.png

For those of you that follow me on Strava, if you have seen my post a strength/weight session, it was all this stuff.  Those blocks made for some pretty good deadlifting.  Who needs crossfit?

Edited by AntonioGG
missing a picture
  • Like 5

It hadn’t occurred to me that going from a 32 to a 34 fork meant I needed to grind down another socket.  I also went ahead and made myself a tool for pushing the innards out.

And to work on suspension service I must have a clean bench.  Did this while watching Kurne Brussels Kurne (thanks to Austinbike’s old appletv which works well with my 16yo 1080i Sony.)

592CFA30-1858-4FDA-B476-66E0E545E8CE.jpeg

A942B794-0775-426F-BCC1-2560681421BB.jpeg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
49 minutes ago, Barry said:

Carpeted bathrooms are wicked gross.

Dude.....100%

Admittedly it was tile but the P.O. carpeted it. The builders had originally laid ceramic tile over plywood on 2nd floor and it was cracking. Ugh

IMG_20220325_081942418.jpg

Edited by ATXZJ

• 3 weeks later...

Cause there ain't no party like a 70s house party.

We had some condensation issues and discovered the refrigerant lines tucked very tightly into the ceiling of our 2nd floor unit were sweating and dripping. Thankfully, my wife is super-small and was able to shimmy up there and replace the insulation on the lines. I would've for sure gotten stuck, and the fire department would've had to come cut my dumbass out🤣

IMG_20220505_160255928.jpg

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 1

On 5/8/2022 at 11:59 AM, ATXZJ said:

Cause there ain't no party like a 70s house party.

We had some condensation issues and discovered the refrigerant lines tucked very tightly into the ceiling of our 2nd floor unit were sweating and dripping. Thankfully, my wife is super-small and was able to shimmy up there and replace the insulation on the lines. I would've for sure gotten stuck, and the fire department would've had to come cut my dumbass out🤣

IMG_20220505_160255928.jpg

Hope y'all got up at 6am to do that!  I can't imagine what going up there during the day right now!

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

Hope y'all got up at 6am to do that!  I can't imagine what going up there during the day right now!

Hah...I wish man.  4-5 pm last Thursday after she got home from work. Sure she wasn't too stoked LoL

Had to get it done before going out of town for weekend.Typical