IGNORED

Projects

Cafeend

Been lurking in this thread because I like seeing the progress. I finally realized that I have my own project to share. 

Had the fence replaced/extended, took out a bunch of struggling lawn and replaced it with mulch and some drought tolerant plants. Also, added a potting bench which has been really useful. I have a few details to finish but I'm really happy with the change. Hopefully I'll be able to get the plants established through this summer... 

20220407_071836.jpg

20220525_065426.jpg

• Like 7

Looks awesome!  I have another area of our yard that gets too much sun and it’s one that demands extra watering so I want to do that maybe this fall.

PSA:  make sure they mulch/soil/leaves doesn’t build up over time to cover the root crown.  We were advised by our arborist to leave a clearance around the trunk.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

Looks awesome!  I have another area of our yard that gets too much sun and it’s one that demands extra watering so I want to do that maybe this fall.

PSA:  make sure they mulch/soil/leaves doesn’t build up over time to cover the root crown.  We were advised by our arborist to leave a clearance around the trunk.

Yeah, I've been identifying parts of the lawn that struggle/ need excess watering and eliminating them /planning on eliminating them and replacing them with xeriscape or drought tolerant plants. My goal is to keep lawn only  where it's easy to keep happy and healthy. 

And yes, no "Tree Volcanos"! 

3 hours ago, AustinBike said:

Yes, and it is worth throwing down some organic compost a couple times a year. It's cheap and plentiful at Lowes.

I had already planned on refreshing the mulch yearly as it breaks down. It's from Austin Wood Recycling and was recommended by my arborist/friend. What's your recommendation just sprinkle the compost in with the mulch as I refresh it? 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, RedRider3141 said:

I had already planned on refreshing the mulch yearly as it breaks down. It's from Austin Wood Recycling and was recommended by my arborist/friend. What's your recommendation just sprinkle the compost in with the mulch as I refresh it? 

My arborist said get some organic compost (not mulch) and spread it, around the trees. They recommend 1/4" to 1/2". You can calculate how much you need here:

https://mcgillcompost.com/compost-calculator/

This is what we put down:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/2-cu-ft-Organic-Compost-Provides-Organic-Nutrients/3589632

• Like 2

Neat idea. Although I'd think some of those tools would be a bit bouncy with their vibrations, since they're attached to something that's only hinged, and not well anchored. But a simple quick-clamp should remedy that. 

• 1 year later...

Father son project. 1990 Smurf Miata restoration:  clutch, clutch hydraulics, shocks, shock mounts, rear main seal (as you should if you do the clutch), cam angle sensor I-ring (super common top end source for oil leaks), shifter bushings, paint touch up, seat upholstery change.  Yes in this heat with no AC in the garage.  We took this past weekend off.

IMG_3783.jpeg

• Like 7