IGNORED

Projects

Cafeend

• 1 month later...
COA is cutting down trees for the neighborhood buyout. Spent the day splitting wood and preparing for "winter" if / when it comes. We'll see what my back has to say about it tomorrow[emoji38]

IMG_20201207_141925275_HDR.thumb.jpg.2846cdd5d12a7b05d2e0cfe0b7e37069.jpg
IMG_20201210_121143002.thumb.jpg.3de4ccce7932f613943015efeec58a8c.jpg
original_e53852cf-f139-4667-989f-7ccd828167ce_IMG_20201210_130809796.thumb.jpg.9e7d2c181fefc84dffff7dab4208520e.jpg
Dang coa eating another hood...your house value is probably going to double in a year...unfortunately so are your taxes

Sent from my SM-A115AZ using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skinned elbows said:

Dang coa eating another hood...your house value is probably going to double in a year...unfortunately so are your taxes

Sent from my SM-A115AZ using Tapatalk

100% counting on that to happen😎

That house in the background is completely vacant and city property. Only thing in there are deer and asbestos lol.

Edited by ATXZJ

10 minutes ago, The Tip said:

Are they letting you take the wood, or maybe even encouraging it? 

It's a bit of a wild west situation. Houses are condemned and various crews go through and remove all the valuables. Nobody knows who is/isn't supposed to be there. I just skirt those same lines and grab it before it goes in the chipper.

http://www.austintexas.gov/department/upper-onion-creek-flood-risk-reduction-project

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, ATXZJ said:

COA is cutting down trees for the neighborhood buyout. Spent the day splitting wood and preparing for "winter" if / when it comes. We'll see what my back has to say about it tomorrow😆

IMG_20201207_141925275_HDR.jpg

IMG_20201210_121143002.jpg

original_e53852cf-f139-4667-989f-7ccd828167ce_IMG_20201210_130809796.jpg

Anybody ever used one of these for splitting wood?

https://www.amazon.com/Wood-Kindling-Splitter-Firewood-Log/dp/B07RGHDVD2/ref=sr_1_4_sspa?crid=3TSAM13RQ7SNL&dchild=1&keywords=wood%2Bsplitter&qid=1607694715&sprefix=wood%2Bspa%2Caps%2C196&sr=8-4-spons&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzMzRNMEpBS1lQSTdOJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMjM4Nzk4MzdNUUg3S1lZTUlaUiZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNzk4ODUyM0NOMEgyWEsyUFEyVSZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU&th=1

I get wood delivered by the half cord twice a year and a portion of it is the round, not quartered variety. I end up splitting it by hand because it burns better as a quartered split.

These look like it would be easier than a stump and an axe.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, AustinBike said:

Anybody ever used one of these for splitting wood?

https://www.amazon.com/Wood-Kindling-Splitter-Firewood-Log/dp/B07RGHDVD2/ref=sr_1_4_sspa?crid=3TSAM13RQ7SNL&dchild=1&keywords=wood%2Bsplitter&qid=1607694715&sprefix=wood%2Bspa%2Caps%2C196&sr=8-4-spons&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzMzRNMEpBS1lQSTdOJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMjM4Nzk4MzdNUUg3S1lZTUlaUiZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNzk4ODUyM0NOMEgyWEsyUFEyVSZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU&th=1

I get wood delivered by the half cord twice a year and a portion of it is the round, not quartered variety. I end up splitting it by hand because it burns better as a quartered split.

These look like it would be easier than a stump and an axe.

Looked at one of those too. Was a little concerned about durability but might be worth a try.

FWIW, I used the wedge the least and stuck with the axe. There's something a bit zen about it.

Edited by ATXZJ

• 1 month later...
26 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

What are you putting back down?  One thing I regret is the company I hired to install the glue-down hardwood, did not level the low spots on our floor.  Now we have hollow sections.  The guys we hired to do our kitchen actually ground down the high-spots which makes a difference.

Doing hardwood in living, halls, bathroom and dining areas & faux ceramic brick for the kitchen. Had a massive 3/8 hump in the middle of our living room and an equally low spot in front of the door. They spent an entire day grinding a filling it all in to get 1/16  total variation. 

So far ive been really happy with the flooring company

https://www.facebook.com/SoleilFloors/

IMG_20210121_122632744.jpg

IMG_20210121_122648910 (1).jpg

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 4

For the last 3 months or so, our family has been working on clearing out my late MIL's garage, replacing rotted wood including side door and frame, patching small spots, caulking, and finally painting.  It started with us going through the inside to clear it out from 30 years of stuff, getting the good stuff to keep, donate, or give away.  Then making an appointment at the hazmat disposal site with my wife taking a truckload of stuff, and culminating with hiring a guy to take the rest.  They sift through to sell, donate, recycle what they can and dump the rest at the dump.  My wife and oldest son almost finished painting it.  I'll go tomorrow to finish some indoor electrical work.  I wish I had before pictures.  Paint prep woodwork (and some indoor insulation + electrical)  is what I've been doing the previous two weekends.)  Thank goodness for nail guns!

image.thumb.png.d0c72e97679bd4dce5e13da45c6f3e5b.png

Edited by AntonioGG
  • Like 3

On 1/23/2021 at 3:37 PM, AntonioGG said:

For the last 3 months or so, our family has been working on clearing out my late MIL's garage, replacing rotted wood including side door and frame, patching small spots, caulking, and finally painting.  It started with us going through the inside to clear it out from 30 years of stuff, getting the good stuff to keep, donate, or give away.  Then making an appointment at the hazmat disposal site with my wife taking a truckload of stuff, and culminating with hiring a guy to take the rest.  They sift through to sell, donate, recycle what they can and dump the rest at the dump.  My wife and oldest son almost finished painting it.  I'll go tomorrow to finish some indoor electrical work.  I wish I had before pictures.  Paint prep woodwork (and some indoor insulation + electrical)  is what I've been doing the previous two weekends.)  Thank goodness for nail guns!

image.thumb.png.d0c72e97679bd4dce5e13da45c6f3e5b.png

Looks like it should be a nice bike workshop. If you get my drift.

• 2 months later...

Firewise work or just re-doing landscaping/new elevation design?  We're doing something similar. 

Also, this post did not age well:

On 12/10/2020 at 7:20 PM, AntonioGG said:

Haha!  "winter". Had a nice sunny road ride, even broke a little bit of a sweat.

Landscaping. Those bastards were taking over. We're trying to update the looks of our place and these were the first step. Gonna lad down sod in place of it this weekend before the heat sets in. 

Probably have the concert stained to give it a little color.

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheX said:

I worry about the heightened fire risk coming this summer.

Living so close to the BCP, I worry about it every summer, every July 4, every New Year, every high-wind day.  

I read the Firewise pamphlet and I can't do all the things they recommend, but I can do some of them like limiting bush size close to the house, clearing deadfall/leaves, etc.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

Living so close to the BCP, I worry about it every summer, every July 4, every New Year, every high-wind day.  

I read the Firewise pamphlet and I can't do all the things they recommend, but I can do some of them like limiting bush size close to the house, clearing deadfall/leaves, etc.

That is some scary shit, fires are common in other places, California burns every year. Clearing brush helps. I think this year is going to be a lot worse because of all of the dead vegetation. There's no way to clear it all.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheX said:

That is some scary shit, fires are common in other places, California burns every year. Clearing brush helps. I think this year is going to be a lot worse because of all of the dead vegetation. There's no way to clear it all.

Yep.  I was thinking the same thing.  The stuff my son and I cleared out from our local trail, we tried to chop up as much as possible so that it compacts and decays faster as opposed to having optimal mix of air and combustible material like a big drying branch presents, but I'd love to figure out how to bring a chipper into the trail, or drag everything out to the trailhead...

I was thinking this exact thing while we were clearing the deadfall off the trail around Lake Georgetown. There are piles and piles of deadfall out there and no easy way for a fire team to get to it. I really hope it doesn’t ignite someday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk