IGNORED

Are all those bikes just sitting in garages?

TheX

I built an ebike out of my canfield EPO. I love riding the ebike, but it definitely makes you lazy. I use it when I want to check out cat trail conditions and dont want a hard climb back.

My wife can also use it on the street as she has no capability to climb any hills.

I would definitely include an ebike as one of my bikes.

I have one- Radwagon Cargo e-bike.

I use it to run to the local Randalls, get a Growler Refill and the occasional I just want wind in my face but dont feel like working that hard.  I have mixed emotions, after I dont ride it for a while I consider dumping it, then I ride it and frankly it really is a lot of fun.

12 minutes ago, xl_cheese said:

The manufacturers keep telling me that Ebikes are the hottest thing in the cycling industry these days.  But I don't really see it.  Perhaps it's just not as popular in Austin.  I could see them being popular in Europe where people commute by bicycle.  

I spent a few days in NYC last summer and e-bikes were EVERYWHERE. If I lived in a densely-packed city that was a huge PITA to get around by car, I might have one of those too.

I noticed a good number of them in Colorado this year, presumably folk who would not otherwise make the climbs. Up on Monarch Crest, I got passed by a pair of Specializeds going so quickly, I had to really look hard to detect that oversize tubing which contains the power pack.

1 hour ago, mack_turtle said:

I spent a few days in NYC last summer and e-bikes were EVERYWHERE. If I lived in a densely-packed city that was a huge PITA to get around by car, I might have one of those too.

I have always said that the killer use case for e-bikes was for urban/commute. I might even get my wife one eventually so that she can keep up with me on the streets. I think the use case on trails is pretty sketchy. It is nestled between the idea that it gets some people out on the trails that would not have had the chance before (probably a small niche) and those that want to be able to ride more hours in the day or be their own shuttle (another small niche.) The challenge is not that an e-bike is bad for the trails but that with many riders shelling out $2.5-5K already for their mountain bikes, getting them to double down on a second bike that can't be ridden everywhere is a stretch. The streets are where it is at.

2 minutes ago, ssorgs said:

FYI, Reveille Peak Ranch will be renting eMTBs soon with the pending arrival of an Austin Bike Farm satellite shop...

One more reason not to make the trek up there. The trail is not getting the care and feeding that it had in the past, now if I have to deal with the strava dudes trying to beat me on climbs it won't be worth the drive/admission much longer. There are better options closer to home.