IGNORED

Free Strava vs Paid?

The Tip

I pay so I can do everything. I want to know what can be done with the free membership. Specifically:

-Can you create segments?

-Can you Hide segments?

-Can you see full leaderboards for segments?

-Can you turn your Flyby feature on?

Thanks for helping me out.

Can create segments.

Can hide segments.

Can't see full leaderboards for segments.

Don't see the Flyby feature anymore.

...seriously considering upgrading to the subscription. I want to see more data. Particularly, comparing efforts and HR/power analysis. But I also would like to have the route finding feature, personal beacon, and personal heat maps. Just not sure how badly I want those features.

I only use the very basic features so free works for me. I've never created a segment but the "create segment" button is there. You need to subscribe to see the full leaderboards.

My guess is that there will be some degree of strava upheaval in the next year. They built a lot of functionality and then made it pay-only for some of it. There were a lot of people trying to figure out how badly they needed that data. My guess is that the pay version begins to bleed in the next 12-18 months and they'll need to "reinvent" themselves.

Or they will get bought. 

I have the pay version and I've used all the data and metrics to assess my performance. It allows me to compare day to day, year after year. I have developed spreadsheets with algorithms that provide me with exacting values to tailor a diet specific to my riding and to achieve my ultimate goals as a rider and a better human being.

The output from all of this is always the same...."You're Old, fat and lazy and you spend too much money on all of this shit"

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

36 minutes ago, Yosmithy said:

I have the pay version and I've used all the data and metrics to assess my performance. It allows me to compare day to day, year after year. I have developed spreadsheets with algorithms that provide me with exacting values to tailor a diet specific to my riding and to achieve my ultimate goals as a rider and a better human being.

The output from all of this is always the same...."You're Old, fat and lazy and you spend too much money on all of this shit"

Thank you, you have helped move my mouse cursor away from the "subscribe" button.

I just don't need this right now. I have more important things to do and spend money on right now...at least until I get a job!

• Like 2

On 10/26/2020 at 3:06 PM, Teamsloan said:

I just don't need this right now. I have more important things to do and spend money on right now...at least until I get a job!

While I think this is the smart play, and I was very upset at their stripping of all the basic free features...I got weak in a moment of deep solitude in the CO back country last month and paid the piper.  Honestly, the 2-3 things I missed the most were: 1) Training Log  2) 'Current day's' stack ranking  3)'I'm Following' stack ranking.  All of these use to be free.  But I get a lot of enjoyment out of seeing how me and my friends are stacking up.  Another thing that I use (and missed) was the view of all my past performances on segments.  As my fitness has started to come around, I really couldn't where I am in my own historical context.  But I really do hate paying for functionality (of most anything)....

Cheers,
CJB

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, CBaron said:

2) 'Current day's' stack ranking  3)'I'm Following' stack ranking.

I have no idea what these stack rankings are. The clubs have weekly rankings. And going to someone's profile shows side-by-side. But what are you talking about here? Desktop or app? 

15 minutes ago, CBaron said:

But I really do hate paying for functionality (of most anything)....

I appreciate paying for functionality. But instead of putting their most popular features behind a pay-wall, I wish they had added new and often requested functionality and put that behind a pay-way. I would have joined for better or expanded equipment tracking, for example. Still, they roped me in and I do not regret signing up since I probably spend about 800 hours a year using their app (cycling+app gawking). Putting it that way is seems ridiculous for it to have been free with no advertisements. Could you imagine that?  "Before you go on to your feed, or start a new activity, did you know more cyclists prefer Ass Chap'd Chamois Butt'r™ over the other leading brands?!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Barry said:

I have no idea what these stack rankings are. The clubs have weekly rankings. And going to someone's profile shows side-by-side. But what are you talking about here? Desktop or app? 

Thats my term..."stack ranking".  But its the list of who is Top riders for the day on each segment (usually found via mobile app).  Then its the list of where you rank in the list of all the people you follow.

1 minute ago, Barry said:

I appreciate paying for functionality. But instead of putting their most popular features behind a pay-wall, I wish they had added new and often requested functionality and put that behind a pay-way. I would have joined for better or expanded equipment tracking, for example. Still, they roped me in and I do not regret signing up since I probably spend about 800 hours a year using their app (cycling+app gawking). Putting it that way is seems ridiculous for it to have been free with no advertisements. Could you imagine that?  "Before you go on to your feed, or start a new activity, did you know more cyclists prefer Ass Chap'd Chamois Butt'r™ over the other leading brands?!

Yeah I do understand that there is true value in "things" and that I should/need to pay for it.  I just don't like doing so.  IMHO they offered an amazing product for a long time at no charge AND with no ads.  *NOTE* I did pay for premium power-tracking a few years back when I first got a power meter on my roadie.  But after I build my power profile (and learned very little), I let the service expire.

• Like 1

I'm paying for the premium mostly because I want to support them and have them avoid going the way of facebook where I'm the product.  I also pay for TrainingPeaks Premium which is actually a much better training tool and has the ability to share but it lacks the social aspect of Strava.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AntonioGG said:

I'm paying for the premium mostly because I want to support them and have them avoid going the way of facebook where I'm the product.  I also pay for TrainingPeaks Premium which is actually a much better training tool and has the ability to share but it lacks the social aspect of Strava.  

I kinda gather that you may be too late with the "we are not the product" thing.  I thought I read something a while back that they are collecting data and selling it to municipalities and stuff.  Now they me not be targeting ME specifically.  But I'm confident they are collecting data to monetize.

Since I'm not on FB or Twitter, I almost use Strava as my social media tool.  After all, many of the people I like and hang out with are found there.  The other people in that category (and don't ride), I simply call/text.   Yunno...old school.  🙂

Later,
CJB

• Like 2

With Strava you are the data, they are selling you.

I have no issue with that. If you sell my data and give me the service we are good. If you don't sell my data and you charge me for the service, we are good.

If you sell my data AND charge me for the service we're gonna have an issue.

The issue I have with the paid service is that they are still selling my data. If they had an opt out of data sharing for $$ option I'd be all over that.

2 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

I'm cool with data sold to municipalities as a greater good.  I have a problem with the tracking data of other platforms. You know, when you gmail someone asking about widget X and next thing you know on all platforms you now see ads for widget-X...

Yeah, dude. That widget-X looks sweet. I've been seeing ads for that all over my feed since you post about it here.

I think the only way I'd pay for Strava was if it would make the contention within the community (and with other trail users) go away. Although, it probably does the opposite. 

• Like 1

I subscribed solely for the Beacon feature but have appreciated some of the other benefits as well. Riding mostly solo and on the north side of sixty, my wife appreciates knowing where I am on the trail. I don't believe it sends an alert though if I stop for a certain amount of time, although she has called on occasion asking why I'm not moving. It would be nice if they would add a feature to let you set some threshold for stop times with an alert generated when the threshold is exceeded. They should also add an EMERGENCY button that automatically calls or texts your safety contact, in the event you are down and need help. 

Edited by throet
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, throet said:

I subscribed solely for the Beacon feature but have appreciated some of the other benefits as well. Riding mostly solo and on the north side of sixty, my wife appreciates knowing where I am on the trail. I don't believe it sends an alert though if I stop for a certain amount of time, although she has called on occasion asking why I'm not moving. It would be nice if they would add a feature to let you set some threshold for stop times with an alert generated when the threshold is exceeded. They should also add an EMERGENCY button that automatically calls or texts your safety contact, in the event you are down and need help. 

If you have an Apple phone you can enable this and your wife can have real time data all day long. I now reply to "where are you at" with "why are you bothering to ask me this?" I know some guys that don't want their wives to know where they are, but I prefer her having access 100% of the time so that I don't have to have the conversation ever. She now knows that if she refreshes her screen after a minute and the dot moves, don't bother me.

After the rider down incident I got a RoadID, it fits right on to my FitBit (or a watch) and has her info.

• Like 4

I've been a RoadID users for years, just ordered a replacement. The old one has a LOT of miles, sun, rain, dirt...It really is a good thing to have. They have stand alone versions, some that work with FitBit, and Apple Watch, etc. 

id.thumb.png.0ddb0cde13bd1269e36f96106f4d6f34.png

Edited by TheX

2 hours ago, throet said:

I subscribed solely for the Beacon feature [...]

We use Beacon as well. But then we've also used Google location sharing for years--I assume it works the same  as the Apple version. But still Beacon works way better for tracking a ride and location. 

I've also done rides (like this year's EB) where I was coordinating with and interested in a larger group tracking me. You just send that Beacon text to more people--it's a sweet feature. 

• Like 2

yes, I forgot that besides all the data that I use to depress myself, I use Beacon. My wife appreciates it. Although, she has called me before and asked if I was dead or just stopped BS'ing with some friends on the trail. Thankfully it was the latter. Maybe Strava should combine the beacon with HR monitor, and if they both stop, it dials the coroner?

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, throet said:

My Garmin 520 has an Incident Alert- I can attest to how well it works.  Thankfully its never been needed but good spills will set it off, send a text with a GPS to the spot if you dont cancel it quickly enough.

https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=RfaXahBWkH8Q7pVFLsuUmA

• Like 1