IGNORED

Free Strava vs Paid?

The Tip

3 hours ago, Leafkiller said:

I have the free version. I don't ride seriously enough to warrant the paid version. As for tracking my family uses Life360, it's free and works very well. So well in fact that I used it to find my wife at Home Depot one day when we got separated looking for stuff.

Life360 alerted my wife when I had the close encounter with a truck.  It also alerts when "hard acceleration detected" when driving...but she knows that's par for the course for me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Taco Man said:

My Garmin 520 has an Incident Alert- I can attest to how well it works.  Thankfully its never been needed but good spills will set it off, send a text with a GPS to the spot if you dont cancel it quickly enough.

https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=RfaXahBWkH8Q7pVFLsuUmA

I hat to turn it off on mine.  It became a "Antonio didn't pop his front wheel up over the rock" alert for me if I just was riding hard and letting the suspension work harder than usual.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

I hat to turn it off on mine.  It became a "Antonio didn't pop his front wheel up over the rock" alert for me if I just was riding hard and letting the suspension work harder than usual.

@Jessica had a similar problem with the auto pause feature on her Garmin watch. It buzzed when it paused, so it served as a notification that she didn't clean something. She figured out how to turn that off real quick. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheX said:

When my wife had her fall walking the dogs, her Apple Watch sent me a text and dialed 911. It was a life saver.

That’s awesome! Hope she has healed well. 

That reminds me that I need to turn this feature back on. I had to turn it off when skiing in February. I fell a few times and it was a mad dash to rip my gloves off and peel back my jacket/base layer to cancel the 911 call. 

Edited by WLemke

So I use the free to see my routes and miles.

However I used to be able to look at a ride and see whoever else I might have passed and also for direction I rode and stops for my ride. 

I hit play and could see my movement through a ride. 

Was this feature moved to paid version? Is that what is called heatmaps?

17 minutes ago, Cafeend said:

However I used to be able to look at a ride and see whoever else I might have passed and also for direction I rode and stops for my ride. 

You're probably  talking about "Flybys." Because Strava kept getting negative press about that feature being on ["Strava shares your location with strangers!"], they turned it off by default. You have to go into your settings and turn it back on. However, it isn't quite as interesting as it used to be since most folks haven't turned it back on. I'm pretty sure it's a free feature. 

Edited by Barry
  • Like 2

I started paying a couple of years ago. I rationalized that it was a good app that I used a lot and I should reward them for it. 

I really miss the Flyby feature being like it was. I encourage everyone to turn theirs back on. The YouTube rabbit hole paled in comparison to my time spent looking at rides on Flyby. I would look at my Flybys, then look at someone on my Flybys Flybys', then that person's and on and on.

I have a "professional" interest in seeing if folks are using the trails "correctly." For example, "why isn't anyone turning there to ride that new fun trail?" That sort of thing. I then go out and make that entrance more visible. Now I can't do that nearly as well.

I also used to do the Flyby rabbit hole thing. It was a real time killer.

3 minutes ago, The Tip said:

I have a "professional" interest in seeing if folks are using the trails "correctly." For example, "why isn't anyone turning there to ride that new fun trail?" That sort of thing. I then go out and make that entrance more visible. Now I can't do that nearly as well.

Heat maps may be more useful for this function now. If a trail is too "cold" compared to those around it, it may need work. But I have no idea how quickly heat maps are updated. 

8 minutes ago, Barry said:

For example any random ride would have dozens of people on Flyby. And a relatively crowded Walnut ride would have 40 or 50 people on Flyby. And last night was fairly crowded...

image.png.9e0302d385797dcc5b6678479318ed50.png

Flybys is dead. 

Yes that! so it is not a thing anymore? I learned a lot about the trails and found some cool little segments from it. 

On 10/28/2020 at 6:08 PM, CBaron said:

I kinda gather that you may be too late with the "we are not the product" thing.  I thought I read something a while back that they are collecting data and selling it to municipalities and stuff.  Now they me not be targeting ME specifically.  But I'm confident they are collecting data to monetize.

Since I'm not on FB or Twitter, I almost use Strava as my social media tool.  After all, many of the people I like and hang out with are found there.  The other people in that category (and don't ride), I simply call/text.   Yunno...old school.  🙂

Later,
CJB

You don't call me anymore.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Barry said:

You're probably  talking about "Flybys." Because Strava kept getting negative press about that feature being on ["Strava shares your location with strangers!"], they turned it off by default. You have to go into your settings and turn it back on. However, it isn't quite as interesting as it used to be since most folks haven't turned it back on. I'm pretty sure it's a free feature. 

I was wonder what the deal was with this. 

I love the fly by feature, and use it on almost every ride. Usually just to learn new routes and add ons to my rides. 

I noticed mine disabled about 2-3 weeks ago, went ahead and enabled it, and now I see almost nobody on my fly bys. 

I can also attest to the Apple Watch/iCloud solution to tracking and fall detection to be effective. I've never had it mistakenly call 911 on me, but it worked just as intended when I fell at Crystal Falls. I was okay, so I cancelled the 911 call. But it did buzz at me while I was laying there with a message like, "It looks like you've had a fall. Please respond." followed by a count down timer. I tapped the respond button which then asked for clarification with the following replies: "I didn't fall.", "I did fall, but I'm fine.", and something like "I did fall, but I'm hurt." I indicated that I had fallen but was okay and it went back to recording my strava workout. My wife just uses the "Find My" feature in iCloud as I'm fine with her knowing where I am at all times. I got nothing to hide. But the beacon feature on Strava would be helpful for things like the EB or group trips where the group breaks up to hit separate trails.

I've been very happy with the accuracy of my strava rides since getting the Apple Watch and using the watch app.

Edited by Teamsloan
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...