IGNORED

Free Strava vs Paid?

The Tip

9 hours ago, AustinBike said:

My wife has access to my location via my phone so I never have to send her anything or enable anything. I haven't gotten the "where are you?" text in many years.

Same.  When she went to android we just got life360.  I'm sure I've endorsed that app elsewhere here before.

19 hours ago, AustinBike said:

My wife has access to my location via my phone so I never have to send her anything or enable anything. I haven't gotten the "where are you?" text in many years.

9 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

Same.  When she went to android we just got life360.  I'm sure I've endorsed that app elsewhere here before.

Same, through google maps (Android and iPhone). Some people seem shocked when I tell them. It's super handy for both of us. 

22 hours ago, AustinBike said:

You had to set it up at some point!  It's the same for someone sharing their location on Garmin or Wahoo.  Set it up once and forget it. 🙂

Life360 is great for LoJac-ing the kiddo but we use it for us too. Hilarious when a friend first introduced us to it 6-7 years ago. She gets an alert on her phone, dials her teenage son and starts grilling him on why he’s doing 60 in a 35 in a rough hood miles from her house. Kids can’t let go of that phone even when doing shit they shouldn’t. Like how it gives you the alert if they try to turn you off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Chongo Loco said:

Life360 is great for LoJac-ing the kiddo but we use it for us too. Hilarious when a friend first introduced us to it 6-7 years ago. She gets an alert on her phone, dials her teenage son and starts grilling him on why he’s doing 60 in a 35 in a rough hood miles from her house. Kids can’t let go of that phone even when doing shit they shouldn’t. Like how it gives you the alert if they try to turn you off.

I understand the desire and even benefit from Life360'ing your kid....but is damn sure prohibits "kids from being kids" these days.  We've got our son(s) on find-my-friends, and I rarely want to check it.  I truly TRULY want my boys out being boys....let them get in over their head in places, let them stretch their boundaries, push some limits (when nobody is watching).  I like feral, wild-at-heart kids, that are more unconstrained.  Let natural consequences dictate their boundaries...not mommy with the all-knowing watchful eye.

Father of 3 boys.
Cheers,
CJB

• Like 1

Yeah, I see that as a near-term-play....my long term strategy is to grow old with grandkids around, riding bikes and enjoying a big crazy rowdy family.  Besides, I'm gonna need the prodigy to take care of me when I'm old and broken down from riding MTB too much.

Cheers,
CJB

I've been a paid subscriber for a good while, primarily for the beacon feature. Now I have a Garmin Instinct watch, and I'm using the tracking feature via the Garmin Connect App. It's actually pretty cool because the way it integrates with Strava, it automatically triggers both the Garmin Tracker Email and the Strava Beaon text once I start my ride from the watch. Of course my heart rate data comes over to Strava as well now, which is nice. The only problem I'm having since switching over to the GPS tracking via the watch is that my rides are recording much greater elevation gain than what I believe to be the actual elevation. Strava has a nice feature that lets you correct the elevation from within the App once the ride is recorded, presumably based on all of its collected data for the given route. Still, I'm perplexed over why Garmin thinks my elevation gain is more than twice what it should be. I changed the settings on the watch to check GPS every second and also to supplement the GPS with Galileo. Same result today though. Anybody have insights on this?    

7 hours ago, throet said:

I've been a paid subscriber for a good while, primarily for the beacon feature. Now I have a Garmin Instinct watch, and I'm using the tracking feature via the Garmin Connect App. It's actually pretty cool because the way it integrates with Strava, it automatically triggers both the Garmin Tracker Email and the Strava Beaon text once I start my ride from the watch. Of course my heart rate data comes over to Strava as well now, which is nice. The only problem I'm having since switching over to the GPS tracking via the watch is that my rides are recording much greater elevation gain than what I believe to be the actual elevation. Strava has a nice feature that lets you correct the elevation from within the App once the ride is recorded, presumably based on all of its collected data for the given route. Still, I'm perplexed over why Garmin thinks my elevation gain is more than twice what it should be. I changed the settings on the watch to check GPS every second and also to supplement the GPS with Galileo. Same result today though. Anybody have insights on this?    

Does that watch have a barometer?  Is it temperature compensated? One thing that throws most of those elevation meters is atmospheric pressure change while riding and temperature change too if it’s not compensated.  Finally, my old 705 would always overestimate fast descents because of the wind hitting the barometer port.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

Does that watch have a barometer?  Is it temperature compensated? One thing that throws most of those elevation meters is atmospheric pressure change while riding and temperature change too if it’s not compensated.  Finally, my old 705 would always overestimate fast descents because of the wind hitting the barometer port.

It does, and I found a setting where the watch was using both the Altimeter and Barometric Altimeter in Auto mode. I set it to use only the Altimeter, which appears to be recommended for activities that involve frequent changes in elevation. Will see if that helps. Thanks for the input! 

1 hour ago, throet said:

It does, and I found a setting where the watch was using both the Altimeter and Barometric Altimeter in Auto mode. I set it to use only the Altimeter, which appears to be recommended for activities that involve frequent changes in elevation. Will see if that helps. Thanks for the input! 

I believe it takes time to get more accurate, so if you start right away it not very but by the end of a ride its better.  I always let me (520) connect to satellites while Im still getting ready to go.

• Like 1