IGNORED

Stop the Abuse

Shinerider

I finished (third) out at the Miles of Discomfort a couple of years ago. I noticed at the start line that an entire chunk of my 20 tooth SS cog was missing, but since it seemed to ride okay, I took off anyway. The next day at BSS, they performed an autopsy and determined that the cog was actually in six separate pieces, held together only by the chain tension. I think it was you, Chuck, that said we should make a trophy out of it. I still have it!

• Like 3

Ive broken enough parts lately that I keep having to put new stuff on just while I am there.

3 Rear D and 3 Spokes, all in different efforts.

While there- new chain, new tire, new sealant, tensioned and trued wheels, new cables, new brake pads..... and I just past the first year Ive owned this bike.

1 hour ago, Yosmithy said:

I was told if I wear out a chain, then I'm suppose to buy a new bike....no?

I had to put tires on my wife's car for the first time in 20 years. She normally just buys a new one. The cars are paid for, and getting new ones all the time makes no sense at all. She finally agrees with me. Her Escape is 6 years old now, but has less than 50K miles on it.

1 hour ago, TheX said:

I had to put tires on my wife's car for the first time in 20 years. She normally just buys a new one. The cars are paid for, and getting new ones all the time makes no sense at all. She finally agrees with me. Her Escape is 6 years old now, but has less than 50K miles on it.

I would like to buy her hand-me-down cars.  🙂

-CJB

7 minutes ago, CBaron said:

-CJB

Thankfully there aren't going to be anymore for a few years at least. My truck is over 4 years old, 41K miles. They've been paid for since new. It's easy to get into that *I need new stuff* mindset. A lot of people do it with really expensive bikes. Buy new, sell a year later at a big loss. But new stuff is so damned shiny.

44 minutes ago, CBaron said:

-CJB

My wife kept her first BMW for damn near 15 years, and only bought a new one because it was completely out of any sort of warranty. She's had her twin-turbo X3 for six years now, and has managed to put only 30,000 miles on it. I imagine we'll retire with this car.

• Like 1

I'm still driving my 2007 Mazdaspeed3.  It only has about 106k miles and I still love my car.  My previous car was a 1996 Integra GSR and I kept for 11 years and also over 100k miles.

I do finance my cars if the rate is less than what I'm earning wherever my money is at the time.   If you can get 0% or 1.x% and you're earning 3% or higher then why use your money?

Edited by AntonioGG
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

My previous car was a 1996 Integra GSR and I kept for 11 years and also over 100k miles.

Another great car!

Yeah, I usually buy used, Japanese, and higher mileage (and pay cash).  My Tundra is about to turn over 200k and is running like a champ.  But I love to find me some older 'only driven by a grandma on the weekends' cars to buy.  Those are always the best kind....preferably something old and classic.

-CJB

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, CBaron said:

Another great car!

Yeah, I usually buy used, Japanese, and higher mileage (and pay cash).  My Tundra is about to turn over 200k and is running like a champ.  But I love to find me some older 'only driven by a grandma on the weekends' cars to buy.  Those are always the best kind....preferably something old and classic.

-CJB

We had a friend ask to buy my wife's first BMW every year until she finally said yes, and he dropped everything and showed up that day with cash. We now have another friend asking ten years in advance for the X3 - wants it for his daughter.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, CBaron said:

But I love to find me some older 'only driven by a grandma on the weekends' cars to buy.  Those are always the best kind....preferably something old and classic.

Back in the late 80's there was an old lady driving around Oak Hill in a super sweet original owner white '66 or '67 GTO, The lady was constantly hounded about selling it but she assured you her kids had already spoken for it. It was just like you would dream of, seat moved all the way forward, grey hair, putting along under the speed limit. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CBaron said:

Another great car!

-CJB

We may get rid of our 2001 Tundra SR5 V8 with 106k miles before I get rid of my car.  Only 2 problems with it:  quarter-window latches are broken (zip tie fix), and the tan-metallic paint is very flaked.   But it's super solid mechanically.  Was my wife's late father (passed away in 2006) and was driven occasionally by my late mother in law, then by my wife for a couple of years.  Now it's our utility truck.  I'll let you know first.

For a while it seemed like these were in demand since we had people constantly asking us if we wanted to sell it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AntonioGG said:

We may get rid of our 2001 Tundra SR5 V8 with 106k miles before I get rid of my car.  Only 2 problems with it:  quarter-window latches are broken (zip tie fix), and the tan-metallic paint is very flaked.   But it's super solid mechanically.  Was my wife's late father (passed away in 2006) and was driven occasionally by my late mother in law, then by my wife for a couple of years.  Now it's our utility truck.  I'll let you know first.

For a while it seemed like these were in demand since we had people constantly asking us if we wanted to sell it.

Please do keep me in mind for this.  

My oldest graduates HS this year and will be heading off the college (probably Tech).  I've been pondering selling him my Tundra for a good price.  But then I don't know what I'd do next.  I've grown very fond of my trucks utility and mechanical reliability.  When I bought it 4 yrs ago, my plan was to drive it for few years then sell right before it turned 200k.  Buts its been an absolute reliable tank.  I just can't come up with a reason to let it go (outside of my son).

Thanks,
CJB

• Like 1