IGNORED

Good customer service stories

olddbrider

All too often, stories about bad customer service dominate reviews and forums, making it hard to know whether the company really has bad customer service or if the comments are just dominated by a small number of vocal critics. Don't get me wrong, I'll post a bad review if it's warranted, but I also try to make a point to leave reviews/feedback when I receive exceptional service as well to balance things out. I recently had a great experience with DVO and I thought I'd share it with the forum...

I noticed some side-to-side play in the upper/forward shock mount area on my Ripmo AF. In trying to diagnose the cause of this play I needed to remove my DVO Topaz shock, but I wasn't sure if I needed to let the air out of the bladder as well as the main air can. I called DVO to find out. First surprising thing was that an actual person answered. I explained the issue I was having and asked my question, but rather than just giving me the answer and hanging up, the guy spent some time talking through my situation. By the end of the call, he had offered to send me new bushings (just in case that was the cause) and an extra set of spacers that are slightly wider than what is spec'd for my frame (just in case the shock mount was out of tolerances). I had my credit card handy to pay for this stuff, but he never asked for it. That was the second nice surprise. A few days go by and I get an email apologizing for the delay. A few days later I get a package and not only did he include the mounting hardware we talked about, he threw in a DVO beanie (I'm guessing to apologize for it taking a few extra days). Surprise #3!

Anyway, my experience with DVO was great and I'd highly recommend them the next time you are considering purchasing a fork or shock.

Any other stories about great customer service?

• Like 2

Ive mentioned this before in dealing with lights but will add to this. 

I bought my Gloworm light sets back in 2016 and sometime after the warranty period had expired one of the sets stopped working. I contacted Gloworm via email and explained the issue.

Even though my light was out of warranty, they responded to let me know that they were sending me a new one to replace the one that didnt work.

I was prepared and expecting to buy a new one but he just sent me a whole new and improved light. It was a great surprise and makes me want to go back and use their products again in the future.

In fact I did buy another light from them when I found them on clearance last year just to have a extra

Fiskar.

I bought a $20 folding saw from Home Depot. The handle broke. I bought another one. The handle broke in the exact same spot. I bought another one and made sure to never use it as a machete or scyth like I sometimes do. But...the handle broke. 

So I took a picture of the three broken saws next to each other and sent it to Fiskar. They sent me FOUR new ones. One was a slide in and out blade. The blade on that one broke about the third time I used it. The other three eventually broke in the exact same place. This time I pleaded with them to go back to the wooden handled ones, not this brittle plastic. Never got a response other than four more saws showing up in the mail.

Went through this cycle one more time. Still have a couple left from the last mailing.

So not a glowing product review, but definitely a glowing customer service review. They mean it when they say life time replacement.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, The Tip said:

Fiskar.

I bought a $20 folding saw from Home Depot. The handle broke. I bought another one. The handle broke in the exact same spot. I bought another one and made sure to never use it as a machete or scyth like I sometimes do. But...the handle broke. 

So I took a picture of the three broken saws next to each other and sent it to Fiskar. They sent me FOUR new ones. One was a slide in and out blade. The blade on that one broke about the third time I used it. The other three eventually broke in the exact same place. This time I pleaded with them to go back to the wooden handled ones, not this brittle plastic. Never got a response other than four more saws showing up in the mail.

Went through this cycle one more time. Still have a couple left from the last mailing.

So not a glowing product review, but definitely a glowing customer service review. They mean it when they say life time replacement.

Sounds like my kitchen faucet experience.  They have the lifetime warranty and will send you the new part but it seems like they need a design improvement. In our case it's the toggle switch for sprayer.  They seem to last a bit over a year.

On the bike Front, Luke at BSS Research has bailed me out a couple of times finding me rare Manitou parts from their spare parts bin to complete my son's bike build a couple of years ago. He just gave me the parts I needed.  Saved a shock from going to the trash.

Bought a NiteRider Pro from Performance, and let it sit around. When I needed to use it, the battery pack was borked from not being charged regularly. They have a funky balancing system, the batteries need to be cycled and charged more than a normal lithium system. Thankfully they aren't as delicate as LiPo's.

Anyway, turns out it had been sitting in the warehouse for a while before I bought it, and it was just out of warranty. I contacted NiteRider with my sad tale and they replaced it. I didn't have to beg or plead, they just stepped up and took care of it. Pretty damn bright light, glad it works.

3 hours ago, olddbrider said:

I recently had a great experience with DVO and I thought I'd share it with the forum.

I've had a very similar experience with Kuat. I had misdiagnosed a problem with my NV 2.0 and ended up getting two extra Trail Docs (integrated repair stand) at no cost. They sent the first replacement before I realized the original one was actually working, and it was scratched. They sent me another one to replace the scratched replacement, and then I realized the original was fine to begin with. I offered to return the extras but they told me to just keep them. If anybody needs a Trail Doc, happy to pass along one of the extras, albeit with a slight scratch. 

2 years ago I bought an electric tea kettle from Amazon. A few weeks back it randomly stopped working. Amazon said to contact OXO about it because it was well past the return date. After 2 weeks of silence, OXO sent me tracking for a new kettle and a prepaid label for the dead one. 

THIS is what I like to see. Not the silence part but the “send me the old one so I can learn how to make it better” part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

THIS is what I like to see. Not the silence part but the “send me the old one so I can learn how to make it better” part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back in the day Bell helmets used to do crash replacements for $20, $30 for the higher end models. You had to send them your old one first so they could examine how it performed etc. We were quite literally their crash test dummies. I always like that they were trying to get better at protecting me from myself. [emoji51]

Was cleaning out some stuff the other day and ran across some “Saved by the Bell” certificates they’d send with the replacement helmet. Kid gave guff about how many I had. [emoji2361]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, The Tip said:

Fiskar...So not a glowing product review, but definitely a glowing customer service review. They mean it when they say life time replacement.

I love Fiskars loppers, both the product design/performance and their replacement policy. 

After years of use, the handle broke on my geared loppers and they sent me a replacement, which is still going strong. 

I also have their secateurs, which have been cranking along for about 13 years.

Edited by June Bug
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, olddbrider said:

I recently had a great experience with DVO and I thought I'd share it with the forum...

Anyway, my experience with DVO was great and I'd highly recommend them the next time you are considering purchasing a fork or shock.

DVO is a great company to deal with. Like you mentioned when you call them (which is the best way to contact them) an actual person answers. I called them about a broken OTT spring guide I found in my fork when I serviced it and they just sent me a new one no questions or cost.

And, nobody here has mentioned Amazon.

I bought 2 different helmets and neither fit right. Returned for full credit, which was applied to my account as soon as UPS scanned the item in. No cost to ship back, no need to package it, just drop it at UPS with the printout and leave.

In a pandemic world this was awesome. Ultimately I need to go to a physical shop because I am getting tired of ordering and returning. But Amazon makes it easy.

Just now, AustinBike said:

And, nobody here has mentioned Amazon.

I bought 2 different helmets and neither fit right. Returned for full credit, which was applied to my account as soon as UPS scanned the item in. No cost to ship back, no need to package it, just drop it at UPS with the printout and leave.

In a pandemic world this was awesome. Ultimately I need to go to a physical shop because I am getting tired of ordering and returning. But Amazon makes it easy.

From a seller side of Amazon, they have the worst customer service and most unfair practices you could imagine.  

But of course when I need something I order it from amazon.  Ha.  

• Haha 1

I loved the ability to buy/return easily with prime. Also listened to my conscience and dropped that company like a bad date. 

Jenson, Cambria and Worldwide have always gone out of their way to make things right with me. I've bought enough crap that I can call and get an additional discount over advertised price. Locally, Peddler CP has treated me well when I needed to buy something or just hang and shoot the breeze.

Edited by ATXZJ

Kuat customer service has been great for me.  I had the old NV 2 (previous generation) for a few years.  One of my wheel straps broke and they replaced it for free.  Last year, I had a rear collision (no fault collision in parking lot where we both turned and backed into each other without seeing the other) that bent one of the front wheel trays and damaged the support tray.  It was still usable but I needed to replace it at some point.  Plus I had the 2-bike setup and needed to go 4-bike as my younger kids bike is too big for sticking in back of vehicle now.  I emailed them and they replied that they didn't sell the add-on for the 4-bike setup anymore but that I could get all the parts to assemble it on my own.  I could also get replacements for the damaged parts.  when I finally decided to go through with it, they actually asked me to call them.  They then let me know that they were starting to run low on the old NV2 parts so they offered a loyalty discount (~40%) on replacing with the new NV 2.0.  I just had to put the old NV2 out of service by pulling some springs where it can't be reassembled and take a picture.  They even gave applied the discount to getting the 4-bike add-on.  When I ordered, they didn't have the 4-bike add-on in stock, just the main NV 2.0 for 2-bikes.  The rep made sure it got sent out that day though so I would have it by the weekend (I think I ordered on a Monday or Tuesday).  Didn't pay for the add-on until it shipped as well.

On a semi-bike related, Thule customer service has also been great.  Had an old Thule cargo box (at the time it was 10-11 years old so earlier generation) that developed some cracking in the plastic around where it attached to the roof rack.  I took pictures and emailed Thule just hoping to maybe get a wholesale deal on an old one.  I got an email soon after that said they were sending a brand new cargo box (current model), no questions asked.  The new one was a huge upgrade from the original and even one of the higher end models (not highest end but higher end).  It came within a few days.

Had a client get screwed where Amazon’s just in time system orders a pallet of merchandise for their fulfillment center. They have it made, ship it, then before they get paid the same system determines they’re overstocked and returns the whole pallet untouched. So now they get to pay for storage on merchandise they didn’t need to spend the money to make in the first place.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

5 hours ago, xl_cheese said:

From a seller side of Amazon, they have the worst customer service and most unfair practices you could imagine.  

But of course when I need something I order it from amazon.  Ha.  

Yep, brother in law sold through them and he agreed with you. 

Luckily most of us are not retailers 😉

Also, got a good selection of large helmets? Asking for a friend.

6 hours ago, AustinBike said:

No cost to ship back, no need to package it, just drop it at UPS with the printout and leave.

Good to know. Very good to know!  There's a UPS store on Braker, in the Domain. 

Got a Black & Decker hand vac (Amazon) which is so insanely loud I keep hearing protector ear muffs by the charging stand. It's gotta go. 

6 hours ago, ATXZJ said:

I loved the ability to buy/return easily with prime. Also listened to my conscience and dropped that company like a bad date. 

Jenson, Cambria and Worldwide have always gone out of their way to make things right with me. I've bought enough crap that I can call and get an additional discount over advertised price. Locally, Peddler CP has treated me well when I needed to buy something or just hang and shoot the breeze.

Wait...aren't you a legacy customer with Cambria?🤣

• Haha 1