IGNORED

Critter sightings!

June Bug

5 minutes ago, Barry said:

Saw 2 tiny black baby opossums at WC last night, and a few bunnies. I also saw something about the size of a 30-40 pound dog scurry of just out of sight before I could get a good look.

Probably a coyote, there are a lot of them in the WC area and surrounding neighborhoods.

37 minutes ago, pjs32000 said:

Probably a coyote, there are a lot of them in the WC area and surrounding neighborhoods.

I nearly got T-boned by a deer this morning that crossed the BCRT directly in front of me at full gallop. It wasn't real big but did have some horns. 

10 minutes ago, throet said:

I nearly got T-boned by a deer this morning that crossed the BCRT directly in front of me at full gallop. It wasn't real big but did have some horns. 

I had three of them run full trot across the trail on 1/4 notch, probably 10 feet in front of me. I really wouldn't like to have them run into me.

Saw an owl last night in candy land, coyote in Olson meadows park, nearly rear ended two doe’s on candy land, a raccoon in the pavilion at brushy creek park, several opossum’s on picnic, smelled two skunks and at least 4 large groups of deer! The wildlife was out in full force! All the new developments are driving them to the trails! On a cooler note and not the usual suspects; Wednesday during a day ride I saw a peregrine falcon weaving through the trees by the creek!

Edited by 4fun
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Well, I had a banner day today for critters. I took the day off for a personal matter and ended up finishing early so I went to a quick ride on SN. Check out the new stuff at the south end, it's pretty great! 

Tons of turtles:

20210424_124307.thumb.jpg.d5066c3118e312deecf21da82645a2ec.jpg

A Coral Snake:

20210427_141908.thumb.jpg.88357df92d66005cd6a5870d8545263e.jpg

And I kid you not. A fresh, newborn fawn, chucked itself into the creek and swam across. His mom was on the other side but wouldn't cross. I moved him to a safe spot where hopefully the (circling) vultures wouldn't get him until momma crossed and got to him. 

See him swimming?

20210427_143017.thumb.jpg.41fef9177728918d98a94e171328362e.jpg

20210427_143532.thumb.jpg.30f535aed4c5ad187f5e0e68451a8eb9.jpg

20210427_143707.thumb.jpg.d2d68f0252ae1dda9d4124c8706c41dc.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
7 minutes ago, throet said:

Came across this big feller right off the edge of the trail outside of Salida during an evening ride.

Is that a tag on his right ear? I chased a couple of rams down the trail once at Colorado State Park. It's only time I've seen them. 

• Like 1

Just now, Barry said:

Is that a tag on his right ear? I chased a couple of rams down the trail once at Colorado State Park. It's only time I've seen them. 

Yep it was tagged! On our initial drive into Salida we saw a bunch of them cross the road in front of us and then scale the vertical cliffs on the on other side. I was in complete awe! 

43 minutes ago, ATXZJ said:

Is this recent? 

Yup! I used it as a go-between from Santa Fe to Austin on Saturday, 7.10. 

43 minutes ago, ATXZJ said:

How was the weather and riding out there? Havent been since 2016

Hot! Particularly after spending the week in Santa Fe. The ride ended at 98°. Not that hot by historical standards, but pretty warm. 

The trails are still showing damage from recent floods, including washed out bridges,  a bit of rutting, and even a couple of flooded areas on a few low lying trails. Overall though the best trails (Comanche, GSR, Capitol and others) were still in fine shape.

Back on topic, I saw this fellow in the parking lot...

Screenshot_20210719-162145_Strava.thumb.jpg.6ec8b0f46866e8df876965bff8e4b5df.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We kayaked at Silver Springs, a Florida state park that use to be a privately owned "attraction." The rhesus monkeys were brought in by the operator for something to see on the glass bottom boat river ride. He put them on what was to be monkey island. He didn't know this species knows how to swim! So now they are all around the area, but still not easy to see. We got lucky.

The manatee was asleep. It would slowly come up to breathe then go back down.

I learned that alligators can live in crystal clear water. I thought that interesting.

We had mountain biked at Santos Trails in the morning and found out about Silver Springs from a brochure. We hadn't planned to go there but were so glad we did.

IMG_20210714_171424.jpg

IMG_20210714_181605.jpg

IMG_20210714_152249.jpg

Edited by The Tip
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...