IGNORED

Critter sightings!

June Bug

2 hours ago, June Bug said:

Skin: DEET to the max. 

I like me some DEET in my bug spray but I never considered it something to lather into my skin. I use the 98% DEET "Jungle Juice" from REI. Been using the same 8oz bottle for years. I just spritz it around the openings in my clothes (back of collar, tops of socks, end of sleeves). However, I've really only used it as a deterrent against mosquitos/ flies/ gnats. Rubbing it into your skin can lead to a reaction/ allergy from repeat exposure. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, RedRider3141 said:

I like me some DEET in my bug spray but I never considered it something to lather into my skin. I use the 98% DEET "Jungle Juice" from REI. Been using the same 8oz bottle for years. I just spritz it around the openings in my clothes (back of collar, tops of socks, end of sleeves). However, I've really only used it as a deterrent against mosquitos/ flies/ gnats. Rubbing it into your skin can lead to a reaction/ allergy from repeat exposure. 

This is why I was asking if anyone is using Picaridin.  My wife has started using it.  It doesn't irritate and it also doesn't damage synthetic fibers or plastics (I've ruined a plastic watch face with Off spray).  It's supposed to be at least as effective as Deet.  I normally use Ben's Deet which is concentrated.  It doesn't irritate my skin long term but it does burn when it goes on.  

My wife (DVM, MPH) always tell me to not just check arms and legs but check your waistband and short and shirt cuffs once you get home.  Ticks will jump up to those areas.  I consider her an expert on ticks b/c of her training and jobs.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

This is why I was asking if anyone is using Picaridin.  My wife has started using it.  It doesn't irritate and it also doesn't damage synthetic fibers or plastics...It's supposed to be at least as effective as Deet.  

What product does she use?

1 hour ago, AntonioGG said:

Off Picaridin spray is one we bought in a pinch, but her favorite is Sawyer Picaridin Insect Repellent Lotion which has no smells and doesn't feel greasy.

The Sawyer lotion is what I use also. It seems to last longer then the various deet products I have, but for short outings I usually opt for a deet spray just for speed and convenience. I haven't tried a picaridin spray yet.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, notyal said:

I heard (from my dog) that this has a nice meaty chew.

image.thumb.png.e73793d9f32f9fcb60cc598be37d08f6.png

Seriously though, why do we give dogs a monthly pill that repeals annoying at the least and potentially deadly insect bites, but we humans spray ourselves with DEET every day?

I kinda wondered about wearing one of those flea/tick collars on each leg.  You should try it and report back!

• 1 month later...
19 hours ago, 4fun said:

Had a feral hog run across the trail in front of me and my 4 yr old at behren's ranch this morning. My son turned around a said "Dad did you see that Bear!

In the past there have been feral hog signs (dirt rooted up) along the margins of the Southern Walnut Creek Multi-Use Path.  Lots of deer about, but I haven't recently seen, or heard of anyone seeing, hogs.  Running into one would be a disaster, though; they're solid. 

Edited by June Bug

• 6 months later...