IGNORED

Critter sightings!

June Bug

• 9 months later...

In my back yard.  This was a few minutes after discovering a rat, a nest behind my tool shed, and the smell of rat urine in said shed.  I fully encourage predators in my yard.  We have owls and hawks too (which is why we have to scan for them before we let our ratchihuaxypekapoo dog).

IMG_3720.jpeg

• Like 2

We see a few rat snakes here. The wife calls them all "Jellyroll" and they are considered full-time employees.

A few weeks ago the cats and dog got to acting weird in the living room, and this continued for a few days. Eventually we found a Jellyroll sneaking around. After some clever devising of isolation and capture technique they were relocated outside. Work from Home (indoor) is not part of their employment contract.

Hopefully, this episode finally impressed upon the wife why it is never okay to leave the door open, even if just going out for a minute or two. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

👍 There are plenty. Eisenhower was president when this house was built.

An earlier Jellyroll we found inside escaped through just such an unfinished corner in a closet. (since sealed) But, I had seen it come in the front door when I opened it, and the chase was on.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...

Did a little late afternoon hike today along the McPhee Overlook Trail  starting at the west end of Dolores, CO -- all pinyon juniper by the canyon rim, plus sage brush. It was a warm afternoon and as  I was "just walking along" I noticed a twig on the trail, then realized the twig was moving, then realized it was a tiny snake, then realized it was a teeny baby rattlesnake. How small?  The head was smaller than my thumbnail, maybe more like index finger nail size.  No rattle, of course), it hadn't grown one yet.  All this realization took place in a matter of seconds -- just glad I didn't step on it -- I probably would have yeeted myself into the next county. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I saw it a couple of weeks ago.  It was on the descent trail coming down from the top by the stores.  Definitely caught me by surprise.  I think we should call it The Brain b/c a white rodent surviving with all the red tail hawks around has got to be smart.

Edited by AntonioGG
  • Haha 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Rode Outer Log Loop at Walnut Creek Sunday evening and heard two great horned owls hooty hooting at each other, probably from some of the tall cottonwoods down by the creek.  

According to this video, I was hearing two males.  The female call is completely different.