IGNORED

Is anything rideable?

crankin

On 10/14/2018 at 7:02 AM, mack_turtle said:

Roads. Paved surfaces. Walnut Creek South. Town Lake Hike n Bike.

nevermind, that last one is part of the lake/river at the moment. Stevie Ray has his life jacket on, so it's about to get deeper. They are supposed to close Cesar Chavez at some point as well.

Austin Pets Alive is close to the lake and is about to start evacuating animals. if you have space and time to foster an animal, now is the time to step up.

A kayak is a suitable option right now.  I rode the riverwalk in Waco yesterday and large portions of it is underwater. I just saw some pictures of the trails in Cameron Park and a few showed where large boulders came down and are blocking trails.  I only recognized the river trail so hopefully the rest are just muddy.

I know you're probably joking, but FYI, waterways are also closed to watercraft throughout most of the region as well. They don't want to deal with anything like this again.
Definitely a joke. All the boat ramps are closed here in Waco so yeah I wouldn't even consider a kayak in this weather.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Kayaking anything in the lakes chain is suicide, but I'd think kayaking BC would be fine - it's just rain water. 

I was actually planning on running from LC to 360 tomorrow morning if it stays at or below 350cfs. 

Am I missing something, the creek isn't really all that high at this point from what I can see of all the monitoring stations:

https://water.weather.gov/ahps2/river.php?wfo=ewx&wfoid=18703&riverid=203502&pt[]=144374&allpoints=144374&data[]=hydrograph&data[]=obs

2 hours ago, AustinBike said:

This is the creek crossing just south of 38th on Shoal Creek. Turn around, don't drown. While I could have ridden through it, all it takes is a little hydroplaning and I am sitting on the rocks.

IMG_2802.jpg

I watched a girl miss the bridge here and crash in the creek.  She was on a first date with a roadie who put her on his spare carbon road bike with clippy pedals that she had no idea how to ride.  It was bad.

It seems that RHR must be rideable as the 24 hour race crowd is setting up camp.  :classic_rolleyes:

The fact that this event has always gone on rain or shine is significant in determining just what might be considered acceptable riding conditions for those who enjoy this particular form of torture. My guess is that there will be a lot of grit destroyed components replaced after this race.

Edited by Ridenfool

9 hours ago, Ridenfool said:

It seems that RHR must be rideable as the 24 hour race crowd is setting up camp.  :classic_rolleyes:

The fact that this event has always gone on rain or shine is significant in determining just what might be considered acceptable riding conditions for those who enjoy this particular form of torture. My guess is that there will be a lot of grit destroyed components replaced after this race.

Hmmm. Still plenty of time to register, especially for the 12-hr or 6-hr events. With a 6am start though, even the 6-hr event will require lights. I'm so desperate to ride that I might have to go buy some lights and head out there. Looks like a Sunday ride at RPR is a definite option as well though. Does anybody know if the Vanguard event taking place there this weekend has the trails closed?   

14 minutes ago, Jessica said:

Yeah, this is driving me crazy, I'm about to do something I thought I never would, buy a bike for the road. Going to BSS to find a gravel grinder this week.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Don't know what size you ride but this is a good deal if either of these sizes fits.

https://www.jensonusa.com/Kona-Private-Jake-Bike-2017

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jessica said:

Yeah, this is driving me crazy, I'm about to do something I thought I never would, buy a bike for the road. Going to BSS to find a gravel grinder this week.

Post pics when you've bought it! We are riding out of the Shoal Creek Blvd area later this morning, if you want to ride it in.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jessica said:

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

ive been using a wahoo kickr. It lets you train using power levels (like output 220w for 1 hour) and has the added ability to not get hit by a car. You can find them used for 600-700 and you can either throw your bike on it or put any cheap spare bike on it.

• Like 1

On 10/19/2018 at 9:45 PM, Ridenfool said:

Actually, over the years I have found that RHR values money over trails. They always tell me "trails are fine, come on out" and then it turns into a muddy slog. I think they would tell people to come out in the middle of the flood if they thought they could make money. I'll pass.

18 hours ago, TheX said:

I'm so glad I bought the Kona when I did. Not my favorite type of ride, but it's riding.

I have a Kona unit that is my new urban bike. Perfect single speed at 36:14. Did 40miles yesterday and plan to do some more today as I patiently wait for the trails to dry. Get some pavement today because the rain is coming back tomorrow.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AustinBike said:

Actually, over the years I have found that RHR values money over trails. They always tell me "trails are fine, come on out" and then it turns into a muddy slog. I think they would tell people to come out in the middle of the flood if they thought they could make money. I'll pass.

Yeah, the comment was intended as sarcasm on my part, (hence the Rolleyes) for exactly the reasons you've stated.

I always look forward to riding the dried mess after a cycle or running event in the wet there. (more sarcasm)

Calling to ask about the trails is a fool's errand as Grey and Pam have no way to know unless somebody tell them. More likely than not they are at their house on the coast in Rockport answering the call.

Edited by Ridenfool