IGNORED

helmet with minimalist chin bar design

https://www.studio-accent.com/ventoux

I've never owned or worn a full-face helmet. I always have said that I "don't need" protection there because... no on else seems to think they do. then again, I have never "needed" a helmet, yet. when the day comes, I'll be glad I was wearing one. but convention alone is the main reason I don't wear a full-face helmet. that, and the fact that I don't want to collapse from heat stroke in the middle of a ride in the Texas heat. say all you want about the more recent designs of ventilated full-face helmets, I need a lot more convincing that they are not heat buckets.

enter this helmet design. I'd probably be fine wearing something like this. it doesn't look "moto," an I have no desire to look like a wannabe dirtbiker. it also appears that it could be a lot lighter and better ventilated than most FF helmets, which all looks like slimmed down motorcycle helmets to me.

thoughts?

note: the first design here is an aero roadie helmet. if there was something like it for mountain biking, would you want one?

Edited by mack_turtle

18 minutes ago, olddbrider said:

Sure, the chin bar is slimmer, but the overall ventilation of that helmet looks pretty bad. Plus, it needs a visor. Can you even enduro without a visor???

It's an aero road helmet, so the assumption is goggles. no roadie wants a visor. I would imagine it's pretty well ventilated for aerodynamics, but that's not the point. ignore the aesthetics of the helmet itself for a minute ask yourself:  if they designed a range of helmets with that chin bar feature, would you be inclined to buy one? if they made a ventilated mtb helmet with a visor, would you want that chin bar?

Edited by mack_turtle

Having spent a lot of time at Spider Mtn over the past couple of years, I'm way more comfortable in a full-face helmet than I used to be. I still go without the chin bar when I'm riding pretty much anywhere else, but I could see myself wearing something like this for trail riding. Definitely would've helped that guy who face-planted into a tree on Snail a while back...

On 11/5/2020 at 10:45 AM, mack_turtle said:

Looks expensive. Any idea on what that thing's gonna run?

IMHO in ATX Rockcity, that helmet wouldn't provide much protection. It'd have to be an almost perfect scenario for that bar to do any good in a rough, rocky uneven landscape. On a flat road it'd probably be great to keep your face from skidding along the pavement. I've had 2 helmets with a removable chinbar and to do again, i'd just buy a traditional full face instead and use my giro montaro for everything else.

With the rise in popularity of endurobro racing, there's been a ton of improvements in helmet design.

https://www.vitalmtb.com/features/7-of-the-Best-Lightweight-Full-Face-Helmets-Vital-MTB-Roundup,2616

Edited by ATXZJ

13 hours ago, AustinBike said:

I am in the camp that believes that if a full face is a good idea for that trail, that trail is probably not for me. I self select out of full face trails. 

I've joined this camp as well now. Bought a long-travel bike and full-face helmet last year thinking I would want to get into more enduro style riding. I've since sold that bike and only used the full-face one time. In fact, if anybody is interested in a Fox ProFrame (size L), happy to pass it along at a heavily discounted price. 

7 hours ago, CBaron said:

I always found in interesting that I would gear up (ATGATT) in full moto-boi stuff to ride my MX bike at City Park.  Then a week later, come back on my MTB wearing what amounts to my underwear and ride THE EXACT SAME TRAILS.

Cheers,
CJB

Much of that has to do with a.) speed and b.) the risk of injury from your vehicle falling on you in a crash. To me that is the case even with the streets.

10 hours ago, CBaron said:

I always found in interesting that I would gear up (ATGATT) in full moto-boi stuff to ride my MX bike at City Park.  Then a week later, come back on my MTB wearing what amounts to my underwear and ride THE EXACT SAME TRAILS.

Cheers,
CJB

My friend in the auto industry pointed out something like this to me.  "You want airbags, ABS, good crash protection (and now all sorts of nanny tech in new cars which I don't own), yet you also ride your bike on the road wearing spandex and a  foam helmet"

2 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

My friend in the auto industry pointed out something like this to me.  "You want airbags, ABS, good crash protection (and now all sorts of nanny tech in new cars which I don't own), yet you also ride your bike on the road wearing spandex and a  foam helmet"

I'm sure you're aware of this, but it's a trade-off. pedaling a bicycle in gear that would be much more effective in a real crash is not an option because you'd die from heat stroke long before you get hit by a car.

30 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

I'm sure you're aware of this, but it's a trade-off. pedaling a bicycle in gear that would be much more effective in a real crash is not an option because you'd die from heat stroke long before you get hit by a car.

His point (and mine) is that of the concept of risk perception.  Not that I want more protection while I'm riding necessarily.

• Like 2

This is a timely post as I'm in the market for a lightweight full face as I start to progress my riding into more challenging features but am not near a level where I'd need a full on downhill lid.  These helmets are also so light I might just wear them daily, despite the dumb looks I'm sure to get.  More protection is almost always a good thing.

I've narrowed my options to the TLD Stage, 100% Trajecta, IXS Trigger and Leatt DBX 4.0.  All of these are in the lightweight and breathable category but many are still downhill certified.  The Leatt is a bit heavier than the others but looks like has a bit more of a downhill flavor, hence the weight tradeoff.  I'm leaning Leatt since I think an extra half pound or so is a small price to pay for more protection.  The Stage is very popular, I just got back from Bentonville and it was obviously the full face of choice there.  But it has a weird pad design where it contacts the lower half of the ears and I found that quite uncomfortable and in my opinion when it comes to helmets fit is everything.  The Fox Proframe seems to be the 2nd most popular but there are some pretty mixed reviews on it out there, with some saying the that helmet breaks too easily on impact.  I partially attribute this to the fact that negative reviews are usually more prevalent online, and that these helmets are likely designed to break on impact and then be replaced, but there was still enough chatter about it for me to look elsewhere.  The Proframe shell also appears to have a break right where the chinbar meets the rest of the helmet which makes me question if that's a possible structural weak point, but I'll admit the shell design may not match the structural design underneath on any helmet so it's hard to tell.  Now I'm trying to find stores with generous return shipping options to try on the 3 I haven't found in stores yet.

I also immediately ruled out any lid with a removeable chin bar.  This is purely a personal decision but is based on my thought that anything removeable can't possibly be as strong as a permanently affixed chinbar, and the fact that I witnessed a motorcycle accident by someone wearing one of those flip up chinbar helmets and the chinbar completely separated from the rest of the helmet immediately upon impact.

• Like 1

I have a TLD Stage. I picked it up on clearance at REI, so there are deals to be had. Its super light, comfortable, breathes really well. 

I went over the bars at Spider Mountain about a year ago that left markings of the obvious benefits of the full face helmet. Had never been more happy that my wife was right. 

IMG_2199[1].JPEG

• Like 1